Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water intake hose size?

All - I found this picture from Bill Air Junky and would like to make one myself. I'd like to run out at lunch and pick up the parts? Does anyone know the hose ID and will I actually be able to find the black hose at HD/Lowes? I'd PM Bill too but see that he's West Coast and I'm East coast and the time difference may be too much?

Also this will be my first year of doing maintenence on a V-Drive. Am I understanding this correctly that this is the raw water intake for the engine? This is all the way up by the V-Drive and the impeller is way at the very rear of the boat?

post-2570-061087200 1300969257_thumb.jpg

I made something very similar and seems to work very well. I used clear flexible PVC for the hose to be able to see water flow. The inside diameter is 1.25". Yes you are correct about V-drive in front impeller in back

If you're going to put your water intake in that spot be sure to remove the impeller before running the motor. An impeller not lubricated with water will overheat and detonate fairly quickly.

If you're going to put your water intake in that spot be sure to remove the impeller before running the motor. An impeller not lubricated with water will overheat and detonate fairly quickly.

On a v-drive in the water intake passes though the v-drive, then to back of the boat to the impeller, so he'll be fine running the boat on the hose from there.

On a v-drive in the water intake passes though the v-drive, then to back of the boat to the impeller, so he'll be fine running the boat on the hose from there.

:Doh: Silly boats with their motors in backwards. :lol:

Good catch, Chris. :thumbup:

That's actually why I asked the question. I am surprised that the impeller is able to pull water that far. But the first time after winterization is probably the only time it's being started dry, right?

Of course, if I use the fake a lake, it won't be dry this time either.

In your opinion, within the amount of time it takes for system to prime?

In your opinion, within the amount of time it takes for system to prime?

No. I wasn't thinking V-drive when I made my comment. Chris (99response) caught it right away and pointed out that the impeller is downstream of the connection point.

martinarcher

No. I wasn't thinking V-drive when I made my comment. Chris (99response) caught it right away and pointed out that the impeller is downstream of the connection point.

Yeah those silly V-Drives get me when we are talking about water intakes too. LOL.gif

tomas is right - the intake is wire wrapped 1.25" hose (re-enforced to keep it from flattening under vacuum). Just be sure to keep the hose pressure high enough that the impeller pump can't suck your garden hose flat. LOL.gif