Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice on broken Extreme/UFP trailer axle

THE PROBLEM FIRST: (those who know the broken torsion axle problem, skip ahead)

Was backing my boat up the driveway last night and suddenly the right side locked up. I jumped out to find the rear axle tire pushing into the front axle tire on the right side, and buried into the fender --- the spindle looked like it did a 180 and bound up. I first tried jacking it up, and resetting the spindle to raise the trailer. As soon as I lowered it back down, the spindle spun again and the wheel is again buried into the fender.

So I realized the axle is broken and the spline spins. That sucks considering the trailer on this boat has been used about 10 times total. (boat is an 03 LSV with only 60 hrs, but was on the lake and dry docked most of those hours). Called Extreme, they said I needed a whole new beam, plus paint, shipping, etc. Just under $600 or so to my door. And I suspect the other axle might be torched too (happened last night --- in the dark).

MY QUESTIONS:

1) This seems like a crappy design if it failed after such a low usage. Is it worth replacing with the same torsion axle design? Is there a newer better model that Extreme uses?

3) Anyone try contacting someone else to bypass Extreme to save costs?

4) Anyone look into a stronger option? My 87 had zero problems after 20+ years of use. I'm about ready to weld the spline to my own beam. I don't know why I need a rubberized bushing in there.

Still frustrated, as my boat is now "stuck" on the street in front of my house. I'm gonna have to rig something just to get it back where it belongs.

Thanks for any advice, opinions, input, experience!!!

Edited by rugger

Hoping someone can chime in here... sounds like there was a faulty run of axles at one point -- I just want to know if anyone has had a repeat problem after replacing their Extreme axle, or if anyone replaced with something different. Thanks for the input if anyone is familiar with this.

Sorry to hear of your broken axle Rugger, my 2006 Extreme trailer axle broke last fall as well. It cost me $600 also, you may be able to get it cheaper directly from UFP. My axle took about 5 weeks to arrive from the US and I had to put the boat in storage on 3 wheels before the snow flew up here. :rant:

UFP had a problem with the torsion axles for a year (some 02's, some 03's) with adhesive issues that hold the "torflex" bushings in place, and apparently Extreme did not get UFP to agree to replace them as Boatmate did. There have been no problems with new ones, so I would feel confident in simply replacing it with a new one.

In relation to your last question, the spine is fine, it's the torflex part that has broken free in the axle, and that is what provides the "spring", instead of having actual external springs and shackles.

Peter

UFP had a problem with the torsion axles for a year (some 02's, some 03's) with adhesive issues that hold the "torflex" bushings in place, and apparently Extreme did not get UFP to agree to replace them as Boatmate did. There have been no problems with new ones, so I would feel confident in simply replacing it with a new one.

In relation to your last question, the spine is fine, it's the torflex part that has broken free in the axle, and that is what provides the "spring", instead of having actual external springs and shackles.

Peter

Thanks for the input guys. My boat/trailer is an 03 so that might explain it. On one hand I'm glad it happened before the season -- the other hand -- what an expensive trip down the driveway. Possibly 2 axles torched plus a twisted fender. It just kills me because this trailer looks like it's in new showroom condition, yet I broke it on the driveway. Makes me feel a little better if there was a known issue or recall on the axles though. I called UFP and they indicated they can't sell directly to the public. I think I'll be making more phone calls and post the results for the next guy. Thanks again

I had an 2006 Boatmate single axle torsion bar axle go bad last summer. I contacted UFP they sold me one "at cost" but I had to pay shipping. I got the paint code from Boatmate and had it painted locally. The axle came UPS and if it was painted it would have been all messed up. I suggest you have it painted your self, unless Extreme will pack it on a pallett and guarantee it.

I read Peter's reply and he is a dealer so he has a larger data base then I do.

I know I did have a problem with my '06. I made 1 call to UFP, sent them a couple pictures and gave them the serial number from the axle, then had 1 in stock and as soon as I paid for it they sent it out, no questions asked and they didn't want the old one. A single axle from UFP cost me $138, I had to pay shipping CA to NM was about $80 and I paid to have it painted. The axle comes bare metal no primer. That cost varies depending on the paint you want and quality, I paid $150. Old axle came out and new one back in real easy and everything lined up fine. Dennis is the guy at UPF I talked with his email is: [email protected].

I did not check into any other option.

Sorry about your probllem, shouldn't be too had to fix and plenty of good weather coming.

Good luck email me if you have any other questions.

I searched for some help on this forum last year and there have been a few other problems. I did post info about my experience.

Edited by Ski & Foot 4 Fun

I had an 2006 Boatmate single axle torsion bar axle go bad last summer. I contacted UFP they sold me one "at cost" but I had to pay shipping. I got the paint code from Boatmate and had it painted locally. The axle came UPS and if it was painted it would have been all messed up. I suggest you have it painted your self, unless Extreme will pack it on a pallett and guarantee it.

I read Peter's reply and he is a dealer so he has a larger data base then I do.

I know I did have a problem with my '06. I made 1 call to UFP, sent them a couple pictures and gave them the serial number from the axle, then had 1 in stock and as soon as I paid for it they sent it out, no questions asked and they didn't want the old one. A single axle from UFP cost me $138, I had to pay shipping CA to NM was about $80 and I paid to have it painted. The axle comes bare metal no primer. That cost varies depending on the paint you want and quality, I paid $150. Old axle came out and new one back in real easy and everything lined up fine. Dennis is the guy at UPF I talked with his email is: [email protected].

I did not check into any other option.

Sorry about your probllem, shouldn't be too had to fix and plenty of good weather coming.

Good luck email me if you have any other questions.

I searched for some help on this forum last year and there have been a few other problems. I did post info about my experience.

I love this site. Thanks for the insight and the great detail. I'll give him a call.

UFP sent me to Waymires when I needed some parts. 1-800-434-4824 or www.waymires.com not much on their web site but a phone call got me exactly what I needed quickly.

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bring up a post from the dead, but do you know how much waymires charged you for an axle...the infamous '03 axles strike again