Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

best battery maintainer

Looking to replace the battery float charger I had that broke. I had one of the Black and Decker units you buy at Wal-Mart. I was not all that impressed with quality - it came with multiple plugs to charge (eyelets, cig plug etc) but the plug was never tight. It dies and I need a new one.

What have people had good experience with?

You better up your budget a bit.

I have had three good years with the 20+ from ProMariner. You can read about them here:

http://www.pmariner.com/

I am sure other will chime in, mine stays mounted in the boat and when the boat is not in use the unit it plugged in. I have a 2 bank battery system by Blue Sea with three batteries; one for the starter and the other two for everything else.

-Dave

Bakes has them and you can use your crew discount

What is the bakes discount? They never told me anything about it when I was talking to them.

good info. Those look like (never noticed brand before) the charger/maintainers sold at Bass Pro...are they?

I know that they re branded the promariner for Cabellas but not sure about bass pro.

What would be the difference between using the prosport 20 onboard charger over a float charger or my regular 6v battery charger to get the batteries back to a full charge after a weekend of use? The boat is kept at our dock that is at our house so couldnt I just put the perko on ALL and use my 6v battery charger to get them back to charge over the week and have them ready for the weekend? Obviously one benefit of the prosport would be that I would not have to disconnect it but will my battery charger charge my 2 interstates (Cranking and SRM 29) equally as well?

Trickle charging, or float charging, means charging a battery at a similar rate as its self-discharging rate, thus maintaining a full capacity battery. This works great for a vehicle that is laid up with a fully charged battery like an atv/motorcyle/car. You can hook up the float charger and the battery will be good to go down the road.

If you are running down your batteries in the boat and the alternator does not charge them up fully - you need a battery charger with float charging capability (pro mariner).

IMO - just spend the xtra dollars on a battery charger/maintainer and be done with it.

Pro Mariner 20 for 2-3 batteries seems to be the popular onboard charger used by members on the board along with Guest.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/garage/vehicle/50-malibu-wakesetter-vtx/page__tab__mods__mod_id__38

:plus1: Have the same set up..works great! Here are some picks...

Edited by old skool malibu

You better up your budget a bit.

I have had three good years with the 20+ from ProMariner. You can read about them here:

http://www.pmariner.com/

I am sure other will chime in, mine stays mounted in the boat and when the boat is not in use the unit it plugged in. I have a 2 bank battery system by Blue Sea with three batteries; one for the starter and the other two for everything else.

-Dave

:plus1:
  • 3 weeks later...

when using only 1 battery with the daul 20 pro sport pro marriner ,am I supposed to hook both pair of charger leads on to each termanil post.please help ? I don't want to mess something up.