Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switch to serpentine belt pulleys for more charging power

WakesetterE

After my stereo install, my stock alternator on my 2000 malibu wakesetter escape just doesn't have enough output. I believe its output is around 56 amps. With the the amps I am running, I need at least 150-200 amps charging capacity. It would seem like a switch to a high output alternator would be the easy fix. However, my single drive v belt pulley (and belt) is only rated to spin up about a 80 amp alternator, max.

I need to switch to a six groove serpentine belt that is rated for 210 amps. I see Bakes has the serpentine pulleys for sale. Has anyone else tried swapping the pulleys on crank, engine water pump and alternator from v pulleys to serpentine? I know they will bolt up, unsure how to clear the LOWER exhaust hoses? Unsure if the pulleys will line up properly? The later model boats come with serpentine belts to allow a higher amp alternator.

Has anyone done the pulley swap on a older boat such as mine? How did you clear the lower exhaust hoses as the alternator v pulley sits right next to it? (serpentine belt pulley is wider)

Thanks for any input you may offer!

Cole

Some one has to have swapped a high output alternator into their boat? Mine was a Neville 51 amp model.

Edited by WakesetterE

I highly doubt it.

There's way more involved in making a system like that work than just swapping a few pulleys.

But, good luck if you swap all the pulleys, find a belt that is the right size, find a way to route that belt and tension it, and get the output you are after.

Ok, my serpentine pulleys and 200 amp alternator are on the way. I've taken before photos. I'll post after photos so it may help some one else out later. Since the 2004 boats went to serpentine belts, the swap should be a snap... But we will see!

Ok, my serpentine pulleys and 200 amp alternator are on the way. I've taken before photos. I'll post after photos so it may help some one else out later. Since the 2004 boats went to serpentine belts, the swap should be a snap... But we will see!

Unfortunately you won't get alot of support on this forum until you complete the mod and prove it works. Please keep us posted, and don't be ashamed if it fails, I do it all the time!!!

The other option would be a dual belt pulley just for the alternator. Should be a pretty simple conversion, you might have to install a different exhaust hose if too tight on clearance. I know many off road installs to run the additional lights are successful with a single pulley system.

Single stock V-belt "before" picture. This set up is only good to drive up to a 80 amp alternator. Factory alternator was 51 amps. Plan to drive a 200 amp alternator. Serpintene belt can handle 210 amp load. Purchased serpentine pulleys and new lower hose from Bakes.

faaa31e1.jpg

Edited by WakesetterE

I'd be happy if you did pull this off. A lot of people get on here looking to up their alt. outputs for the stereo loads.

So far, what have the parts cost you? Does this include a new harmonic balancer or crank pulley?

So far crank pulley $145, waterpump pulley $105, new lower hose $100. 200 amp alternator $170. Will buy belt after I mount it all up. These Bakes pulleys are nice aluminum. I could have saved 1/2 thier cost buying used steel ones at a wrecking yard. Still have to replace the wire from the alternator to the battery as mine is way to small.

Still have to replace the wire from the alternator to the battery as mine is way to small.

I'm glad you thought of that. My two charts don't go as high as 200 amps. But, from what I can tell, 200 amps running 10' (just for example sake) is gonna require 4 ga if not 0 ga.

Grant West over on wake world did this at one point. I know that he had to have his pulley's fabricated out of aluminum and ran a dual belt setup. This is by far the furthest anyone has explored this type of setup. IIRC I think he had over $3,000 invested into his charging system

Here is the link:

Edited by Murphy8166

Grant West over on wake world did this at one point. I know that he had to have his pulley's fabricated out of aluminum and ran a dual belt setup. This is by far the furthest anyone has explored this type of setup. IIRC I think he had over $3,000 invested into his charging system

Here is the link:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314698&highlight=balmar

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320581&highlight=balmar

Link to alternator I purchased.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260613716734&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I ordered this 200 amp alternator with a serpentine pulley installed. This is a 10SI size alternator. It's supposed to fit. No core required.

The Balmar alternator option was over 900 bucks; I couldnt justify that nice an alternator.

For a great site to buy quality marine copper wire for super prices check out:

http://shop.genuinedealz.com/

They were much more reasonable and will custom instal ends for one dollar labor!

Edited by WakesetterE
martinarcher

Did you specifically ask the seller for a serpentine belt? looks like that one comes with a "V" belt. It says so in the auction. Just want to make sure you aren't surprised when you open the box.

I believe in the serpentine system the water pump turns backwards. If so you will need a specific reverse rotation water pump. Something to look out for and be absolutely sure as you don't want to burn up your motor for an alternator.

Ok,before i purchaesd, I called the ebay seller and discussed in detail the dimentions of a 10SI sized alternator compared to the orginal Leece-Neville 51 amp alternator. We determined that the housings are within 1/2 of the same size and the bolting points are the same distance apart with the identicle 2" foot. I requested the serpentine pulley in the detail box on purchase. I realze it may still come with the wrong pulley and it may not fit. Thats the "fun" of doing these type projects, it all may bolt up like it came that way or it may be 1" off and be the first lesson! Reason I'm writing this is so maybe only one of us has to suffer through this. The water pump will continue to rotate the same direction as the belt routing will not change. I expect something not to work right, it would scare me if it all worked right the first time!

The diameter of the 12V Batt + terminal on that alt. scares me.

It looks like the stock ~1/4" dia. stud that the OEM alts. have that are only putting out upwards of 70 amps not, 200.

Meh.

Edited by Pistol Pete

Seller indicates this alternator puts out 200 amps. He sells 70, 90, 100, 140 and 200 amp models. I'm haven't tested it yet, but I doubt the 3/8 " output lug will limit the output power of the unit.

I received the alternator, and it does fit...but its pretty tight. I haven't received the new serpentine pulleys yet, backordered from Bakes. So it may be a week or so before I can post my success or failure story.

Here is a photo of the alternator fitted to my engine. Exhaust hose has to moved a few inches.

c599e5ae.jpg

8e7a94d0.jpg

Edited by WakesetterE

I switched mine to a 105 amp for those of you that don't need quite that much output, only cost about $50 for a marine alt online. Here's the post I did on it:

Good luck with the install, looks like a great project! Better hurry though, it's almost summer!

• 1 month later...

af4c7cd0.jpgOk, after a big delay, the serpentine pulleys from Bakes are on and were a bolt up fit on my 2000 Wakesetter. No shims or spacing issues at all. The original bolts were a perfect fit. The original harmonic balancer remains, no changes. Now the 200 amp alternator can come to life with a belt rated to handle it. Belt sized was a Gates K060418. That is a 20mm x 1076mm OC. The 3 pulleys seem to align perfectly.

So, if you have an older boat with a V belt pulley, its possible to bolt on new serpentine pulleys and a high amp alternator and go. I'll water test it this weekend and report back if there are any difficulties, but I believe this is a done deal.

e1a2e0bc.jpgce4ab5ab.jpg

Dude that's awesome, way to be innovative. Look forward to your review. Is there anyway for you to see now many amps it's putting out?