Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mailbu Flap Photos

C28

Cool. Looks like the shackle could be made out of a piece of 1" x 1/8" flatbar. Clean & simple. I like it. :rockon:

You bet. Could probably easily make with a vice and some muscle!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• Bill_AirJunky

• Pistol Pete

• old skool malibu

Ok guys,

Got an email back from Rock Tamers about their replacement parts. Seems (as expected) that buying individual parts is not cost effective. But, just for ha-has, here's their prices on the parts. (It's an excel spread sheet, you have to download it)

I think I'm going with 1.5" steel angle iron, and make a strap like Old Skool Has.

Edited by Pistol Pete
martinarcher

Ok guys,

Got an email back from Rock Tamers about their replacement parts. Seems (as expected) that buying individual parts is not cost effective. But, just for ha-has, here's their prices on the parts. (It's an excel spread sheet, you have to download it)

I think I'm going with 1.5" steel angle iron, and make a strap like Old Skool Has.

Looks like about $150 if you add all the parts we need up.

I like my powder coated 1.5" angle iron set-up. I just need a better stinger clamp. I'll bust out the MAPP gas torch, the vice, and a bit of steel bar tomorrow night and see what happens. I'll have the truck home tomorrow night so hopefully I can get it all mounted up. Thumbup.gif

So I imagine you'd need one right & left arm, a center hub, and a pair of support rods. Thats $95. A few miscellaneous bolts & shipping. Doesn't sound like much more than $100. Not that bad. And has lots of adjustment.

1 CENTER HUB/BLACK $30.00

1 CENTER HUB/CHROME $35.00

1 HUB ARM (RIGHT)/BLACK $25.00

1 HUB ARM (LEFT)/BLACK $25.00

1 HUB ARM (RIGHT)/CHROME $30.00

1 HUB ARM (LEFT)/CHROME $30.00

2 FLAP SUPPORT ROD $15.00

Although I think I'm going to do something like you described too. Still thinkin a piece of aluminum would look cool though.

Man I shouldnt have been so eager to make my set up as I just scored a Rock Tamers set up for $50! It is chrome and a little worn, but it should clean up nicely! I set up my flaps on the last try with 4" of ground clearance before any weight. I assumed my truck would only sag 2" giving me 2" of ground clearance. Do you think I should aim for 6" with the Rock Tamers as the truck may sag more?

Man I shouldnt have been so eager to make my set up as I just scored a Rock Tamers set up for $50! It is chrome and a little worn, but it should clean up nicely! I set up my flaps on the last try with 4" of ground clearance before any weight. I assumed my truck would only sag 2" giving me 2" of ground clearance. Do you think I should aim for 6" with the Rock Tamers as the truck may sag more?

You jacka$$!!!! Good for you. Was that the guy on Kijiji? I was waiting for that call back from him.

Online from the rock tamer site 3-5 inches of Clearance

Fully weighted

Edited by my malibu

Online from the rock tamer site 3-5 inches of Clearance

Fully weighted

Yes I was aiming for 2 inches when fully loaded, may go for 3 max, I cant see 5. Just need to figure out how much sag to aim for now!

Edited by old skool malibu

You jacka$$!!!! Good for you. Was that the guy on Kijiji? I was waiting for that call back from him.

U bet Trent. They are chrome and it is pealing off, so need to figure out what to do with them. Nice set up however. Yes they are adjustable but I wouldnt want to be adjusting them that often. For your case I would make a mount for each vehicle.

Edited by old skool malibu

Ya I here ya mine set 5 inches unloaded and 3 loaded

I can also cheat alittle since I have air bags

Yes I was aiming for 2 inches when fully loaded, may go for 3 max, I cant see 5. Just need to figure out how much sag to aim for now!

martinarcher

Sweet! Gotta love Craigslist! No Rock Tamers around here....trust me I checked. LOL.gif

Nice score, OSM. I've kinda watched CL a bit the last week or so.Ran across this ad for some removable mudflaps. The guy has a good idea & it obviously holds up to some huge flaps.

Man,

For all the pics. of those "cool" flaps. The guy never once gives you a pic. of how they're mounted to the leaf spring. Geeeze.

Man,

For all the pics. of those "cool" flaps. The guy never once gives you a pic. of how they're mounted to the leaf spring. Geeeze.

Yea, I imagine thats because he doesn't want yahoos like us makin it on our own. Looks to me like it could be just a piece of steel tube mounted to the frame of the truck vertically, and then the L shaped piece with the mudflap quickpinned to it. 2 pins & their off.

How do you not flip this thing over! I wonder if he has a small......nevermind. Whistling.gif

Crazy, huh. Call it "the Compensator". :lol:

You ever been to SoCal, Phoenix or Vegas? Some of the most outrageous customs ever in this cities. Around here we'll see maybe one in 10,000 trucks all lifted even close to that. But there is like 1 in 100. :crazy:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
martinarcher

Crazy, huh. Call it "the Compensator". :lol:

You ever been to SoCal, Phoenix or Vegas? Some of the most outrageous customs ever in this cities. Around here we'll see maybe one in 10,000 trucks all lifted even close to that. But there is like 1 in 100. :crazy:

That's a good name for it! LOL.gif

Nope - I have heard the custom cars and trucks are out of control. I can't believe they are that common though! That's nuts. I guess the fuzz are a lot more lenient about bumper heights and tires hanging outside the fenders. You'd have a ticket in an instant here with that thing.

Yea, reading that guys ad in CL, I get the impression their just working around the laws. Mudflaps 8" from the tire, so high off the ground, etc.

Bumper heights are a problem here too. You see guys with their bumpers extended down to make them legal.

I know they used to have problem headlight heights too. Not sure if they just install driving lights or what. Maybe they loosened up on that one.

But anyway, the mudflap mount is an interesting alternative to the receiver mount.

So I imagine you'd need one right & left arm, a center hub, and a pair of support rods. Thats $95. A few miscellaneous bolts & shipping. Doesn't sound like much more than $100. Not that bad. And has lots of adjustment.

1 CENTER HUB/BLACK $30.00

1 CENTER HUB/CHROME $35.00

1 HUB ARM (RIGHT)/BLACK $25.00

1 HUB ARM (LEFT)/BLACK $25.00

1 HUB ARM (RIGHT)/CHROME $30.00

1 HUB ARM (LEFT)/CHROME $30.00

2 FLAP SUPPORT ROD $15.00

Protection for your BU

Priceless!

Stay tuned guys.... If you're looking for a nice aluminum mount, my buddy should have his first prototype done very soon to take some pictures of it. My neighbor is buying his first setup so he can hang the Malibu flaps I gave him! Hans should be able to pump some out very soon, but just wanted to get some pictures of the setup first.

The chrome finish is comming off the tamers. I have them in at my buddies body shop getting blasted and a fresh coat of black paint. They should look sweet! I will post up some picks this weekend.

Hi everyone. I built an aluminum mud flap holder very similar to Charlies. This is what I have shown with CAD models a few posts back in this thread. Won't get to mounting on truck with boat and have the Malibu flaps trimmed until this weekend at the soonest so I wanted to get these pics out in the meantime. As mentioned earlier I will take orders for these. Just PM me. I have a PayPal account set up. 175 plus shipping. 77" is the standard width. +/- 5" length would be no price difference.

2011-04-05_17-56-14_800.jpg

2011-04-03_13-44-16_403.jpg

2011-04-05_17-56-46_513.jpg

2011-04-05_17-56-36_261.jpg

2011-04-03_13-44-28_64.jpg

Includes all the parts shown in the exploded view. The 8 bolts for the flap holders are stainless hardware.

explodepic1.jpg

where can i order one of these?!

One of what? :insure:

The mudflaps? Can't. It was a one time group buy. Well, I guess if you got enough people together you could do another but ...

The mudflap holder thingy.... PM hw3.