Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mailbu Flap Photos

C28

Not sure, but I would be sure the exhaust doesn't point right at the flaps. I bet they would melt before too long. I know our local exhaust shop is really reasonable with small exhaust changes. My bro has redone the exhaust on his truck 4 times just messing around and it amazed me how cheap they will weld up some pipe.

If I were you I would cut off the duals a couple feet behind the bumper, cut an angle into the cut off pipe and have it re-welded on so they each come off the rear corners of the truck at a 45. Kind of like what Charlie has going on on his black Chevy.

You can't have direct exhaust on them. I bought a couple of sets to replace the ones on my wife's truck (if you sqint you can see them on my avatar) and add to my truck. Her truck is an escalade with factory exhaust turned down in front of the bumper and aims straight back. The malibu flaps are the same material as the ones I have and they DO melt. They have not burned but get hot enough to melt a 6" bubble in the flap. I will be putting a sheet metal deflector in front this season.

I also saw a picture of a duramax with the "megaphone" aimed at the flap. I just bought a Dmax and bought a Banks DPF back exhaust that dumps out the side so I won't wreck the flaps (and secondary get rid of the ugly factory exhaust)

Edited by G-Mack
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• Bill_AirJunky

• Pistol Pete

• old skool malibu

pics of the rock tamer mount for anyone interested

DSC01272.jpg

DSC01274.jpg

DSC01275.jpg

as I stated before a big wrench and they come of

the big 7/8 bolt determines how far away for the bumper the flap set

and the smaller 1/4 sets the width

I have put small dabs of epoxy on the threads to set them

a impact would probably free it

trying to prevent my new malibu flaps from being stolen

might still spot weld them on

If I were you I would cut off the duals a couple feet behind the bumper, cut an angle into the cut off pipe and have it re-welded on so they each come off the rear corners of the truck at a 45. Kind of like what Charlie has going on on his black Chevy.

My F2 had twice pipes coming straight out the back, what a pain. When my GF was backing the truck up to the trailer and I'm sitting there hooking it up, you're getting killed with exhaust. I went to a small muffler place and they put them at 90* out to the sides for very little money. Way better off.

I also can't stand the look of that GM megaphone. :vomit:

Edited by Pistol Pete
martinarcher

I also can't stand the look of that GM megaphone. :vomit:

+2.

I dig the block the rocktamer uses since you can tighten it and also can't remove it without pulling the ball mount. I think I might try to go that route with mine.

I'm looking at using a bracket to be mounted under the bumper. The clip hole can be large enough for a small lock. Plus removing them will be easy, quick and compact.

Greg,

Can you give us more details on this product?

I can't figure out how it mounts/works.

The Rock Tamer is a sweet product. Would be nice if you can purchase without the flaps to save some $$. The Rock Tamer Package up her in Canada is $300!

:plus1:

I am close to buying a Borla for my Tundra and I'm going to get the side exit's for sure

I have the MagnaFlow which I am really happy with for my 07 Tundra. I also added a set of Doug Thorley Headers http://dougthorleyheaders.com/products/sfID1/9/productID/1026 . Gotta admit with the exhaust, headers and intake the ol Tundra sure does scream!

Edited by old skool malibu

+2.

I dig the block the rocktamer uses since you can tighten it and also can't remove it without pulling the ball mount. I think I might try to go that route with mine.

I got my Rock Tamers at mudflaps.com and can't wait to use them. Thanks again for putting this buy together!

Edited by thtrog

Check Craigslist

Found mine for 70

The Rock Tamer is a sweet product. Would be nice if you can purchase without the flaps to save some $$. The Rock Tamer Package up her in Canada is $300!

I found a few expired C.L. ads for rock tamers. Problem will be getting someone to ship the set up since I know it's big and heavy.

I just emailed Enkay and asked them if they would sell just the center square mount with the two diagonal arms? Seems to me that all we'd need is an alum. pipe and bingo we've got MartinArcher Tamers.

Also, I think I found a pretty good price on a set of new, black tamers complete. $168 free shipping.

Hey guys. My buddy Hans has drawn up an aluminum flap holder, similar to mine, that he will be able to build and ship. He's going to post up some exploded Solid Works drawings here sometime tonight. He's new to the forum, but he said he got a login so he could check out this thread. Keep yours eyes open for that. He's already shown it to me and gotten some feedback. I think he's looking for a bit more feedback here, and then he will start building them for anyone that is interested. I think he'll be priced similar to the Rock Tamer setup, but it will be aluminum rather than steel!!

martinarcher

I found a few expired C.L. ads for rock tamers. Problem will be getting someone to ship the set up since I know it's big and heavy.

I just emailed Enkay and asked them if they would sell just the center square mount with the two diagonal arms? Seems to me that all we'd need is an alum. pipe and bingo we've got MartinArcher Tamers.

Also, I think I found a pretty good price on a set of new, black tamers complete. $168 free shipping.

Thumbup.gif

Curious what Charlie's buddy will want for his set-up.

Hello everyone. I'm the guy working on producing the setup Charlie has already done. It will be 175 plus shipping. Online estimate of UPS ground from MN to CA was $41. I was airing on the heavy side for weight when I checked on that too. The whole assembly with hardware should come in at 13.5 lbs + packaging.

Included is what you see in the exploded view. This is the same as what charlie has built out of aluminum except that I squeezed down the width to 1.5" to fit between hitch and receiver. I also made the angle pieces bolt above and below the hitch for easy assembly and tight fit. The ends of the 2" tube are capped with plastic plugs. The 8 bolts, nuts and 16 washers holding the flaps will be stainless steel.

I have also shown representative flaps and hitch/receiver for reference. The red pins represent a hitch pin lock that could be placed into two holes that will be there. The ends of the lock are 1.25" diameter. I don't know if that is enough clearance for a typical hitch pin lock. I believe it is but maybe somebody could comment on that? The clamping pieces are 24" wide. If there's other width flaps someone would have to tell me. I just got done designing this and will be building one as a prototype. I will post up pics of that when it is done. Within one week I should have it made.

explodepic1.jpg

explodepic2.jpg

Here are two assembled pics

frameonlypic1.jpg

frameonlypic2.jpg

with flaps and hitch (not included)

hitchassmr1.jpg

hitchassmr1pic2.jpg

The lock pins are pictured here in red for reference

lockpic.jpg

You must have clearance to mount this setup

sideclearance.jpg

Edited by hw3
Hello everyone. I'm the guy working on producing the setup Charlie has already done. It will be 175 plus shipping. Online estimate of UPS ground from MN to CA was $41. I was airing on the heavy side for weight when I checked on that too. The whole assembly with hardware should come in at 13.5 lbs + packaging.

You going to make each unit to a custom width? Or is there some adjustment I'm not seeing? A full size 4WD truck w/ oversized tires is going to need a longer "wingspan" than a stock SUV......

You going to make each unit to a custom width? Or is there some adjustment I'm not seeing? A full size 4WD truck w/ oversized tires is going to need a longer "wingspan" than a stock SUV......

For now I could do custom width. Plus or minus a few inches on the main 2" square wouldn't affect the price. As pictured they're at 77" wide.

For now I could do custom width. Plus or minus a few inches on the main 2" square wouldn't affect the price. As pictured they're at 77" wide.

I just finished my set up and for my 07 Tundra with slightly larger than stock wheels and I am at 82.5".

I just finished my set up and for my 07 Tundra with slightly larger than stock wheels and I am at 82.5".

Are the tread areas of the tire really that wide, or do your flaps stick out a ways past the tires? I think lining up the outer edge of the flap with the outer edge of the tire tread is about right. Any rocks that fly out to the side aren't going to hit the boat anyways. I like to have plenty of flap coverage to the inside, so that rocks that come off the tire at an angle inward have less chance of missing the flaps and hitting the boat. I could see sticking the flaps out maybe an inch past the tire, but any more than that would be a waste, and give you less coverage for the bow of the boat.

Are the tread areas of the tire really that wide, or do your flaps stick out a ways past the tires? I think lining up the outer edge of the flap with the outer edge of the tire tread is about right. Any rocks that fly out to the side aren't going to hit the boat anyways. I like to have plenty of flap coverage to the inside, so that rocks that come off the tire at an angle inward have less chance of missing the flaps and hitting the boat. I could see sticking the flaps out maybe an inch past the tire, but any more than that would be a waste, and give you less coverage for the bow of the boat.

82" is from edge of tire to edge of tire! It appears from the rear of the truck that the flap extends past the bumper but this is necessary to ensure tire coverage.

Looks awesome man! Rockon.gif What did you use for the shackle part that captures the ball mount and clamps around it using the four bolts?

I high graded it from my old UltraGuard mudflap system I had on my 96 Chev. Unfortunately the Tundra is a fair bit wider so the UltraGuard did not provide adequate coverage. http://mudflaps.com/b-5718-176591-ultra-guard.html. And a piece (3/4" in aluminum) is left over from my divider wall reinforcement for my ballast