Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mailbu Flap Photos

C28

I dont want to steal martinarchers thunder but I could not wait to install the new mud flaps on the truck.

Here is the before and after photos - Everyone needs to post the installed flaps.

Fam154.jpg

Fam156.jpg

Now the after :yahoo: Nice

Fam157.jpg

Fam158.jpg

Once again thanks for the GB and all of you effort

B

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• Bill_AirJunky

• Pistol Pete

• old skool malibu

The ball is mounted to the 2" piece going to the truck. I am replacing it with a new chrome ball as part of the face lift (I did not want it to distract form the BU when its not hooked up.

martinarcher

Nice! Looks awesome man! I'm pumped to see pics of them mounted. Keep them coming guys! Rockon.gif I can't wait to get the bike engine back together so I can bring the truck home! Thumbup.gif

My girlfriend emailed me and said I had a big package.

But, I got home to find out that only the mudflaps had arrived. :blush:

They look wicked cool. I'm dying to see pics. of how peeps are mounting them.

martinarcher

LOL.gif You crack me up. Glad you like them! Thumbup.gif Got your check two days ago. Thanks a bunch - I really appreciate it!

martinarcher

They look awesome! Thanks again Matt. :rockon:

:werule:

No problem! Rob should have the giant pack of flaps you the Candian peeps tomorrow. Thumbup.gif

Rob - don't hurt your back - that sucker is heavy! Whistling.gif

Just rolled in from LA (finally), and found a box on the doorstep. Sent this pic to Jake (who I bought a 2nd set for) and he's even more excited than I am! :rockon:

Can't wait to get this project started.

Thanks for all your hard work on this one, Matt & Mrs MA!!

post-821-052997400 1300854173_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Coulda been worse, she coulda said you had a small package and nothing at home when you arrived...

love them !!!!

:thumbup:

mounting system is a rock tamer I found on craiglist missing the flaps :yahoo:

just remember to attach the boat or load to the truck to measure the flap height before cutting :oops:

second cut was much better anyways :biggrin:

i left 4 inches under the flaps

just rounded the corners and installed

The bu thanks you .

:thankyou: martinarcher

DSC01269.jpg

Edited by my malibu
martinarcher

Looks awesome guys.

Bill - are those just leaning on the Avalanche or sis you mount them up?

my malibu - love the rock tamer you found. Your looks awesome. Mine is a bit more redneck with my black powder coated angle iron bracket. LOL.gif Your right though - the Bu still appreciated it! Clap.gif

martinarcher

That's a darn good idea. I just made my own clamp for the ball mount with a couple grade 8 bolts and a steel plate on the bottom of my "L" iron. I like your idea. I might have to upgrade. Thumbup.gif

image_url-7666-1292715778.jpg

Edited by martinarcher

Yea, I'm thinking about something simple like yours, but expanding on it a bit. Instead of angle iron, maybe square aluminum? And rather than bolting it around the stinger, bolt it to that collar.

I guess I'd need another collar for when I want it without the mud flaps though.

martinarcher

Yea, I'm thinking about something simple like yours, but expanding on it a bit. Instead of angle iron, maybe square aluminum? And rather than bolting it around the stinger, bolt it to that collar.

I guess I'd need another collar for when I want it without the mud flaps though.

Right on. How much space is there between the top of the ball mount and the collar? Could you squeeze the head of a bolt in there? Something like this (sorry for my quick crappy paint sketch)....

Collar = red

Bolt = green

Square Aluminum Tubing = Blue

post-7666-091476100 1300927176_thumb.png

Yep, your thinkin like I am. Although now that I see it, I can see 2 problems. 1 bolt isn't enough to keep the tube in place. And the bolt would crush the tube if it went all the way thru.

Edit: just caught your rear view, and you solved both problems! :rockon:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
martinarcher

Yep, your thinkin like I am. Although now that I see it, I can see 2 problems. 1 bolt isn't enough to keep the tube in place. And the bolt would crush the tube if it went all the way thru.

Edit: just caught your rear view, and you solved both problems! :rockon:

Right on. After I posted the first I could see it wasn't that good of a drawing. I think that should work as long as there is room for the bolt heads that fasten the tuning to the collar (the bolts pointing up). You think the bolt heads will fit between the ball mount and the collar like I have shown?

I like your two ideas.

My concern is that Matt's current set up will not be secure enough to keep sticky fingers off my flaps.

My other concern is that depending on the mount, the whole long channel (whether it be angle iron or, square tubing) will have a tendency to want to "twist" in the wind. I'm towing a min. of 4 hrs. one way at mostly highway speeds. And, I'm talking 70 MPH highway speeds not the wimpy CA law of 55 MPH. I gotta get to the lake before everyone messes up the water. :crazy:

martinarcher

I like your two ideas.

My concern is that Matt's current set up will not be secure enough to keep sticky fingers off my flaps.

My other concern is that depending on the mount, the whole long channel (whether it be angle iron or, square tubing) will have a tendency to want to "twist" in the wind. I'm towing a min. of 4 hrs. one way at mostly highway speeds. And, I'm talking 70 MPH highway speeds not the wimpy CA law of 55 MPH. I gotta get to the lake before everyone messes up the water. :crazy:

Agreed. It was something I threw together to keep the debris on the late fall roads off the boat last year. It certainly needs a revisit. I think the collar idea is much more "tamper" resistant especially if you use some non standard hardware. The collar will certainly take some more force than my current set-up as well.

The good thing about my truck is the "L" iron is tucked right up a long the custom bumper so that will keep it from twisting. If you could keep it tucked up close to the truck I think that would certainly help with the twisting. You could always come up with a rubber bumper or pad to sit between the bumper and the flap hanging bar if there is much space.

image_url-7666-1292715763.jpg