Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with what to look for ...

MALI-MONSTER

I am going to check out a boat that the family might be interested in buying next week, and I need help with what I should be looking for. Although I am fairly mechanically inclined, my experience with boats and inboards is limited. So what are important things to look at or ask about.

The boat is a 1997 Malibu Echelon with a Monsoon 320 with 240 hours that has been stored on a covered hoist and in a garage.

Any info would be appreciated.

I am going to check out a boat that the family might be interested in buying next week, and I need help with what I should be looking for. Although I am fairly mechanically inclined, my experience with boats and inboards is limited. So what are important things to look at or ask about.

The boat is a 1997 Malibu Echelon with a Monsoon 320 with 240 hours that has been stored on a covered hoist and in a garage.

Any info would be appreciated.

Maintenance habits. The condition of the interior will likely shed a lot of light on that. winterization also important, who did, how often...how much?

After you have been on the water for some time is there excessive water in the bilge?

How does it run WOT?

Is there excessive smoke when starting?

The trailer is an easy thing to forget since your focus is on the boat. Get a good look at the trailer without the boat on it.

After you have been on the water for some time is there excessive water in the bilge?

How does it run WOT?

Is there excessive smoke when starting?

The trailer is an easy thing to forget since your focus is on the boat. Get a good look at the trailer without the boat on it.

Speaking of trailers, on an older boat like that (and mine) you should check the steel beams going across the trailer. Mine had drain holes in the top and bottom of them. The bottom drain holes were plugged shut with rust, and nasty water was sitting in them. When I cleaned out the bottom drain holes, some paint and rust started flaking. Some simple hits with a hammer showed me that one section was rotted thru and I had to reinforce the center section by welding a plate to it. Just something to consider.

240 hours is like new still, good luck with the boat!

Thanks for the info so far. It is really helpful.

The owner states that all maintenance was done on schedule per recommendations and mostly by the local dealer. I plan on asking what was done by the owner. Are there long term maintenance items that needed to be done outside of oil changes like transmission fluid changes etc?

The trailer has spent almost 100% of it's life in a garage and probably has less than 250 miles on it. I will take a good look at it but I don't expect to find too much wrong with it.

What is WOT?

Also any info on a good price would helpful. They are asking $10k.

I am in a similar situation as yourself. There are tremendous resources on here. You should do some searching around the site as well. I have been lurking around here for a while and have found that a little searching is very helpful and the members are also more than willing to help.

Good luck on your search and be sure to post pics when you buy!

I see WOT is wide open throttle. What am I looking for ... consistent RPMs?

Research and find what the RPMs and top speed should be for this boat. Run it at WOT from idle to top speed ensuring proper rpms, and speed are reached and that the engine is running well.

Thanks for the info so far. It is really helpful.

The owner states that all maintenance was done on schedule per recommendations and mostly by the local dealer. I plan on asking what was done by the owner. Are there long term maintenance items that needed to be done outside of oil changes like transmission fluid changes etc?

The trailer has spent almost 100% of it's life in a garage and probably has less than 250 miles on it. I will take a good look at it but I don't expect to find too much wrong with it.

What is WOT?

Also any info on a good price would helpful. They are asking $10k.

Still need to check the tires, even inside they will get cracks.