Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Brakes Problems.

This past week I purchased a 2010 Vlx, as I got it home and went to back the boat in, the brakes on the trailer locked in reverse. I tested some wires and from my understanding the blue wire running to solenoid should be hot when the trailer is in reverse. The wire is hot all the way to the surge and the reverse lights on the trailer activate but the trailer is still locked in reverse. Has anyone ever had any problems with this or have any advice?? Thanks!

If it helps I have a 7 way adapter down to a 5 flat.

You're right on the blue wire. Your trailer probably came with a manual lockout with the manuals so you can get the thing in the driveway.

Then I'd say have the dealer fix it.

There is no click on the solenoid when the truck is put into reverse so I guess it would be the solenoid. Everything I have heard about my Malibu dealer is about how slow and bad their service is and they are the only one in my area, wanted to make sure it was't something as simple as some minor re-wiring or something I was simply over looking before I took it back to the dealer. Thanks for info!

Check both electrical connections to the solenoid. On mine, the blue wire is connected to the positive coming from the trailer harness with a crimped connector. You can stick a multimeter prong in there and check voltage, I get about 14 V. The solenoid is ground to the trailer through a wire attached to the valve body. I lifted that wire and found paint underneath. The blue wire also had paint on it (the insulated part). All the other trailer wires didn't. Looks like the solenoid gets installed, then the trailer gets painted, and then the wiring is done.

I have had the same issue with my boatmate 2007 trailer. I live 1.5 hours from dealer so I just called trailer manufacturer directly and they sent me a new solenoid which fixed the problem. ( I could not here the click when putting vehicle in reverse)