Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help before purchase

brmcco

Hi all, first post here...

I am looking at buying a 2003 23' LSV. I have owned the enzo and the X-2 mastercraft before. Both of my previous boats were port side surfers. Even though the centurion claimed to suurf both sides, the stb side was always washed out and nasty. I surf on the port side myself. My question is, does the 23 LSV from 2003 surf on the port or the stb side better? The guy selling it is swaring to me it surfs both sides the same, but i find that to be impossible considering the rotation of the prop only goes one way....

I know this is prob a generic question, but i figured someone here would have the same or similar boat, and be able to give some answers. I have to decide in the next two days if im buying it or not, so any help would be great. It does have the factory ballast, and the wedge. I am looking to adding bags too. But in a stock set up, will the port side curl or wash?

thank you in advance for your help

Hi all, first post here...

I am looking at buying a 2003 23' LSV. I have owned the enzo and the X-2 mastercraft before. Both of my previous boats were port side surfers. Even though the centurion claimed to suurf both sides, the stb side was always washed out and nasty. I surf on the port side myself. My question is, does the 23 LSV from 2003 surf on the port or the stb side better? The guy selling it is swaring to me it surfs both sides the same, but i find that to be impossible considering the rotation of the prop only goes one way....

I know this is prob a generic question, but i figured someone here would have the same or similar boat, and be able to give some answers. I have to decide in the next two days if im buying it or not, so any help would be great. It does have the factory ballast, and the wedge. I am looking to adding bags too. But in a stock set up, will the port side curl or wash?

thank you in advance for your help

Welcome to the crew! I surf port side and it's fine on the 23s I've surfed. I'm suprised you found a boat that is that bad surfing both sides. Yes one will be better than the other, but adding a little more weight has always fixed that for us. Were you adding more than stock ballast? If you're talking only stock ballast then you will see some issues but most of us are running at least an extra 750. That will eliminate any wash.

Welcome to the crew! I surf port side and it's fine on the 23s I've surfed. I'm suprised you found a boat that is that bad surfing both sides. Yes one will be better than the other, but adding a little more weight has always fixed that for us. Were you adding more than stock ballast? If you're talking only stock ballast then you will see some issues but most of us are running at least an extra 750. That will eliminate any wash.

Thank you so much for the reply. The boat has the stock ballast plus the wedge. I planned on putting an extra 750 in the boat on the port side. Im glad to hear from someone who surfs the port side on a Bu. In your opinion, is the stb better than port? and if so, how much? I hate to even bug people with this, but its a big purchase for me. The first boat I have ever bought on my own. Its mint condition, and I am getting a good deal. Im hoping to use this boat as a stepping stone in order to eventually own a new model!

The 2003 23 LSV is on the Diamond hull and will surf good. It will take more weight to do it though than the 2004 and later 23 LSV's with the wake hull. The hull changed in 2004 to have the option of the Diamond or the Wake hull. Everything before 2004 was Diamond hulled.

PM BradB about that hull. He has it perfected for surfing.

Thank you so much for the reply. The boat has the stock ballast plus the wedge. I planned on putting an extra 750 in the boat on the port side. Im glad to hear from someone who surfs the port side on a Bu. In your opinion, is the stb better than port? and if so, how much? I hate to even bug people with this, but its a big purchase for me. The first boat I have ever bought on my own. Its mint condition, and I am getting a good deal. Im hoping to use this boat as a stepping stone in order to eventually own a new model!

Have them give you a pull. If they are serious about selling and you about buying, that's a must. I don't surf goofy, so I can't speak educated about that side. I have seen it and looked fine to me. I have the diamond hull on my smaller boat and don't mind it at all. Helps a ton for skiing. Good luck.