Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying a boat lift, and looking for reviews

birsling79

My bunks look fairly similar. Remember all of the I/O's do not have running gear that will be inside of the cradle.

Kiley,

THanks for the info. One concern is the angle inward, versus the angle outward. Are your angled inward? No problem? The advantage of angling them inward is the force from the weight of the boat is distributed away from the center of the beam, and torward the outside. Disadvantage is the bunks can be flipped and rotated outward if enough force were applied versus the picture at the bottom of this page.

http://www.lakesidel...accessories.htm (see bottom pic)

On my trailer the long bunks run very close to the inside, inside the stingers. If I were to flip my brackets like the pic above, the weight of the boat would be very close to the center of the beam.

What does everyone think on the inward/outward angle of brackets?

Thanks

Edited by Indyxc

Sorry, did not even notice that. Mine are set up with the arms forming a V from the cradle, opposite of yours. My brackets are fairly close together.

Sorry, did not even notice that. Mine are set up with the arms forming a V from the cradle, opposite of yours. My brackets are fairly close together.

Ok, I'll have to swap mine then. Like I said, I didn't do that, because it said the mount point of the bunks should be at least 24" from the other. If I angle my brackets outward, they won't be 24, but it seems to work ok in your case.

And as far as height, I think I am going to lower mine. I need 11" of clearance for the fins, and on the rear that is going to be more as is, since that part of the lift will be well underwater.

Can anyone else post pics of their bunk bracket setups?

Thanks

If a Lakeside 108 4500 pound is $2500, I would guess A Shorestation 40108 to be around $3200. I have the Shorestation and here is my opinion.

I grew up on a big lake, with big boats. Everybody had Shorestations and because the people on the lake had more money than experience, they took a beating. 4 ft waves, 4 - 5 thousand pound boats, you can imagine the carnage. Those lifts take a beating and keep on ticking. Looking at the Shoremaster and Floes there is definitely a difference in the size and maybe the strength of the materials used in a Shorestation.

Now I live on a tiny lake with my slalom boat and I have a Shorestation because I got a good deal from family that sells them. If I were buying new and I didn't have a deal from someone I would probably look at Shoremaster, and Floe. I have friends with both and they have some really nice features and I like their canopy setup better. But comparing them side by side, you can see why the Shorestation cost more. Aluminum is expensive and there is a lot more of it.

I can't speak to the other brands mentioned here. But I have seen some off brand lifts that have a lot of play in them when you put a canopy on them and the wind starts howling. Not for me.

If a Lakeside 108 4500 pound is $2500, I would guess A Shorestation 40108 to be around $3200. I have the Shorestation and here is my opinion.

I grew up on a big lake, with big boats. Everybody had Shorestations and because the people on the lake had more money than experience, they took a beating. 4 ft waves, 4 - 5 thousand pound boats, you can imagine the carnage. Those lifts take a beating and keep on ticking. Looking at the Shoremaster and Floes there is definitely a difference in the size and maybe the strength of the materials used in a Shorestation.

Now I live on a tiny lake with my slalom boat and I have a Shorestation because I got a good deal from family that sells them. If I were buying new and I didn't have a deal from someone I would probably look at Shoremaster, and Floe. I have friends with both and they have some really nice features and I like their canopy setup better. But comparing them side by side, you can see why the Shorestation cost more. Aluminum is expensive and there is a lot more of it.

I can't speak to the other brands mentioned here. But I have seen some off brand lifts that have a lot of play in them when you put a canopy on them and the wind starts howling. Not for me.

Have you seen a lake side lift in person? They have a lot of aluminum and material, and are more robust than my neighbors shorelander. In fact they offer a 15 year structural warranty. As a bonus they are a relatively small company, that has been great to work with. You need something, you call one of the owners, and they get you the part.

Check it out here:

http://www.lakesidelift.com/detail2.jpg

I noticed nobody mentioning pontoon type floating lifts. Is there a reason these might not be desirable? I rented one this season from my marina and I have launched about 5 times from it so far with no problems.

hydrohoist

I've never seen a Lakeside lift, I don't think there are any dealers over here in MN. I wasn't trying to infer that Lakeside is one of the of brands that I have seen that are sub par, just that I have seen other off brands that are and anyone looking should really check them out.

I will say it does look to be pretty solid. If they can take a little constructive criticism those exposed carriage bolts on the bunks look a little concerning to me.

I noticed nobody mentioning pontoon type floating lifts. Is there a reason these might not be desirable? I rented one this season from my marina and I have launched about 5 times from it so far with no problems.

hydrohoist

we use a similar version, econolift and so far have had no issues this summer, but we do need about 4 feet of water depth to clear the air tank + 20in" bunk arms.

• 12 years later...

I just found this thread from a long time ago. I am looking at Lakeshore lift and was curious about those that have had them 10 years now how did they hold up?