Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tranny Fluid Change

old skool malibu

How many hours between fluid changes in the transmission? What type and quantity of fluid does a 09 VTX take? Any suggestions on how to remove? I assume it has to be pumped out and here isnt a drain?

Hey Rob, I have an Extractor if you are thinking about doing this... There really is only a couple of liters in there and if I remember correctly it is just ATF. I used synthetic on my last boat... Let me know if you need the extractor...

How many hours between fluid changes in the transmission? What type and quantity of fluid does a 09 VTX take? Any suggestions on how to remove? I assume it has to be pumped out and here isnt a drain?

A borrowed extractor :werule: is a great option for removal of the old fluid. As for quantity I usually measure what I get out and replace with the same amount of ATF, the actual required type will be on the tranny or in the Indmar manual. Make sure you check, also if you are going to use synthetic make sure it wont cause a problem to mix the fluids. There is no way to get all the fulid out so you will be mixing. As for change intervals, is beileve it is a yearly item,could be wrong on that one though :dontknow: and dont for get about your v drive unit.

Hey Rob, I have an Extractor if you are thinking about doing this... There really is only a couple of liters in there and if I remember correctly it is just ATF. I used synthetic on my last boat... Let me know if you need the extractor...

Thanks Ryan. Your buddy who changed winterized my boat thought I did not need it changed as I only put 60 hrs on last year. I think Wizard changed it the winter before with my 100 hr service. If I have the time and it needs it now might as well do it, if not I will leave it till mid or later year. I guess I should pull out the manual and see how often Malibu recommends changing it.

There is no way to get all the fulid out so you will be mixing.

You can pull the tranny out of the boat and then tip it upside down. :crazy: Just saying.....

I guess I should pull out the manual and see how often Malibu recommends changing it.

According to the transmission manual it's every 300 hours or annually. The Malibu manual just states annually.

Because I ski behind so many different boats mine only gets about 75-80 hours annually (though it is spread out over the entire year, not just summer use). I change mine every other year @ ~ 150 hours. The fluid looks new every time I change it. Never burnt, never milky.

You can pull the tranny out of the boat and then tip it upside down. :crazy: Just saying.....

According to the transmission manual it's every 300 hours or annually. The Malibu manual just states annually.

Because I ski behind so many different boats mine only gets about 75-80 hours annually (though it is spread out over the entire year, not just summer use). I change mine every other year @ ~ 150 hours. The fluid looks new every time I change it. Never burnt, never milky.

Thanks - may hold off till later this season! When it comes time to change, I will give you a ring to help pull the tranny so we can tip her to drain. You never know, the oil pan has a drain hose, thought on the off chance the tranny may have one as well .... best check.

Edited by old skool malibu