Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many of us consider themselves to be an amateur mechanic ?

How handy is the Malibu Crew ?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How many of us do our own boat maintenance ?

• I do all of my maintenance.
    • Nope . I let the experts do it.
    • I'll change the oil, only.
    • I'll change the oil and winterize.
    • I will let the experts do a few things
    • I have confidence in my electric wiring skills
    • I do not have confidence in my electric wiring skills.
    • Nope. But I'm a dagnab good detailer. Ooh, Shiny...
  2. 2. How many of us do our own car maintenance ?

• I do most of my maintenance
    • Nope. I let the experts do it.
    • I'll do all of the maintenance when the warranty expires.
    • I'll change the oil
    • I'll do most things except change the oil
    • I'll do the maintenance on my truck but not the wife's car.
    • Nope. But I'm a dagnab good detailer. Ooh, Shiny...
  3. 3. How many of us have good tools ?

• Just like Pistol Pete, I have a compressor
    • I have the big red rollaway tool box
    • My rollaway tool box is bigger than Ruffdog's. But mine is a decoration.
    • I have a hydraulic floor jack.
    • I have a rolling creeper
    • I have the Snap On Calendar in my garage.
    • I have a TV or serious stereo in my garage.
    • I have a torque wrench.
    • I have a speeder handle and universal sockets.
    • I have a contractor grade rechargeable drillmotor.
    • I can steal the transmission out of your GTO while you are at a stoplight.

No,

What you really need is 1/4". You're gonna need it for that Ninja.

I buy and sell some tools on ebay. Good place to get used snappy stuff for much cheaper than off the truck.

:plus1:

Well, I thought I was pretty good, but I don't know what a "speeder handle" is, or "universal sockets" are (same as swivel sockets?).

But in one drawer I do have a collection of hammers. My fondest one broke my thumb changing ball joints on a Fiat Spyder...which was my daily driver so I still had to finish the job. And I gotta say that anyone who owned not 1, but 3 Fiats over a 5 year period and restored them has got to rank somewhere.

I have two roll-aways one red, one black - I CAN do all the work on my boat but sometimes I don't want to so I pay someone. depends on the task(s) and my time. with the kids I will sometimes be directed to "just take it to the dealer" other times I'll just schedule some ono-on-one time with the boat and get it done. but that is not to infer that I have to work on the boat that much at all... quite frequently I'm tinkering with my old car or pulling some PM on the rest of the fleet. no snap-on calendar either... a beer fridge covered with stickers and fully stocked always helps

What made my transition from amateur mechanic to professional technician was the day I bought these. (scroll down left side column for explanation)

Yes, I really do own these and can answer and diagnose any condition correctly with just this tool.

What made my transition from amateur mechanic to professional technician was the day I bought these. (scroll down left side column for explanation)

Yes, I really do own these and can answer and diagnose any condition correctly with just this tool.

:rofl::thumbup:

Im pretty sure my local Honda dealer has a set of these... :lol:

I bought a roll away last year when I moved into my new house. Prior to that I had multiple tool boxes because my shop was a bit of a hike from the house. I must say it's nice having all my tools in one spot.

Torque wrench

Air Compressor and air tools

Drill press

Bench grinder

Mig welder, cutoff saw, angle grinder.

Table saw, nail gun, compound mitre saw.

Do my own boat maintenance.

Electrical is no problem.

When it comes to auto repair I weigh the time it's going to take me to how much the repair shop will charge. I don't relish spending a weekend working on the cars like I did when I was younger.

I really dislike plumbing though.

I really dislike plumbing though.

Oh man,

That's the truth!

Funny story just today.

I'm walking up to a house and there's a guy in the street, on the side of the road, in front of the house working on his truck.

It's a mid 90 full size blazer (K5?) He's laying on a sheet of cardboard, under the rear of the truck and has the gas tank laying on the ground. I see that he just removed the fuel pump out of the tank.

I walk past and say "wow, that's a gutsy job to be doing in the street"

I continue to say "I used to be a mechanic and I sure miss having a lift for stuff like that"

We get talking and I ask him why he's replacing the pump. He says "the car died and wouldn't start".

I say "so, you tested the fuel system pressure and the pump's bad?"

He says "no but, my mother's boyfriend is a mechanic and he said it could be either the pump or the relay"

So, here's this guy, not knowing what he's doing, guessing and throwing a very expensive part at his car and he isn't even sure if it's bad. The kicker is, he broke off one of the plastic fittings built into the pump because he obviously didn't have the correct fuel line tools to separate it. So, even if the pump is not the problem, he's gotta put it in now. :rofl:

Oh man,

That's the truth!

Funny story just today.

I'm walking up to a house and there's a guy in the street, on the side of the road, in front of the house working on his truck.

It's a mid 90 full size blazer (K5?) He's laying on a sheet of cardboard, under the rear of the truck and has the gas tank laying on the ground. I see that he just removed the fuel pump out of the tank.

I walk past and say "wow, that's a gutsy job to be doing in the street"

I continue to say "I used to be a mechanic and I sure miss having a lift for stuff like that"

We get talking and I ask him why he's replacing the pump. He says "the car died and wouldn't start".

I say "so, you tested the fuel system pressure and the pump's bad?"

He says "no but, my mother's boyfriend is a mechanic and he said it could be either the pump or the relay"

So, here's this guy, not knowing what he's doing, guessing and throwing a very expensive part at his car and he isn't even sure if it's bad. The kicker is, he broke off one of the plastic fittings built into the pump because he obviously didn't have the correct fuel line tools to separate it. So, even if the pump is not the problem, he's gotta put it in now. :rofl:

This dude must have had the dice... :lightning:

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem with that....I have most of the tools that I need working on the boat in the top half of the roll-away so I can just roll the box over next to the boat when working on it and I don't have to get in, get out, get in, get out,... The in and out routine is a PITA when you're anal about "no shoes" in the boat. :yes::lol:

Great point.