Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How many of us consider themselves to be an amateur mechanic ?

How handy is the Malibu Crew ?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How many of us do our own boat maintenance ?

• I do all of my maintenance.
    • Nope . I let the experts do it.
    • I'll change the oil, only.
    • I'll change the oil and winterize.
    • I will let the experts do a few things
    • I have confidence in my electric wiring skills
    • I do not have confidence in my electric wiring skills.
    • Nope. But I'm a dagnab good detailer. Ooh, Shiny...
  2. 2. How many of us do our own car maintenance ?

• I do most of my maintenance
    • Nope. I let the experts do it.
    • I'll do all of the maintenance when the warranty expires.
    • I'll change the oil
    • I'll do most things except change the oil
    • I'll do the maintenance on my truck but not the wife's car.
    • Nope. But I'm a dagnab good detailer. Ooh, Shiny...
  3. 3. How many of us have good tools ?

• Just like Pistol Pete, I have a compressor
    • I have the big red rollaway tool box
    • My rollaway tool box is bigger than Ruffdog's. But mine is a decoration.
    • I have a hydraulic floor jack.
    • I have a rolling creeper
    • I have the Snap On Calendar in my garage.
    • I have a TV or serious stereo in my garage.
    • I have a torque wrench.
    • I have a speeder handle and universal sockets.
    • I have a contractor grade rechargeable drillmotor.
    • I can steal the transmission out of your GTO while you are at a stoplight.

A lot of the threads are maintenance this time of year. Some of us think we are mechanics because we have the red rollaway tool chest. Some of us think that our time is better spent earning a living and would rather leave the chore to the pros. I thought it would be fun to take the temperature of frequent visitors to the crew.

In my crew One of us is handy and the other three are not. We'll see if that holds up.

Edited by DONTW8

My tool box is blue, not red.

I just had Snap On print out my totals since 1999 (I started buying in 1994, but he didn't share data with that dealer) and it was about twice what I paid for my boat. Plus a little from Matco, Mac, and even Sears and specialty stuff searched out locally or on the internet.

BTW I am a customizer, not a tech.

Great poll!

I don't have the monster Red Tool Box, but I've got a huge pegboard in my garage. I like the pegboard because after a project, I can readily see what's missing and go find it.

It is in front of where I park my truck in the garage, and that serves two purposes.

First, when I get home, my tools are the first thing I see. Makes me feel good. Then I go say 'Hi' to the wife and kids with a good attitude.

Second, when I pull in and something is missing, I can immeadiately seek out my wife for the missing tool, scold her for not putting it back after she was done, and ask her what 'project' she did and ridicule her for using the wrong tool for that project.

Edited by RTS

I'm an FAA certified Airframe and Power Plant (A&P) Mechanic. So yes, I would say I'm a bit of a mechanic. But that is on aircraft. I do most everything on my boats but leave major car repairs to the dealer.

I'm an FAA certified Airframe and Power Plant (A&P) Mechanic. So yes, I would say I'm a bit of a mechanic. But that is on aircraft. I do most everything on my boats but leave major car repairs to the dealer.

:plus1: I hold the same A&P licence with an ATP to boot. I also have four years experance working on avionics while floating around in the Persian Gulf. I do everything on the Bu' and most of the car stuff. I did the water pump but did not have enough time to do the powered steering pump and box, all in the last couple of months :rant: .

No formal training, but I've had car mechanics jobs in high school. Decided I like it, but not enough to do it everyday. Over the years I've rebuilt motors in a Baja Bug, an old Datsun truck, a boat, and most recently I installed a hopped up motor in my golf cart. Not too afraid to take on much. Or I'll get friends to come & help..

Really kinda enjoy learning how to burn steel lately

I didn't vote because I don't have a boat yet.....

Compressor - Check

Red Rolling Tool Box - Check

Torque Wrench - Check

Pneumatic Tools - Check

I used to do all my own maintenance on my motorcycles and snowmobiles when I had them. I do most of the work on my Pontoon when required. I used to do work on my cars and trucks but now, I leave it to others based available time. I do foresee myself doing nearly all of the general maintenance on my future Bu though. It's something I enjoy and it forces me to learn more. I just tend to stay away from the electrical stuff.

I may take a cue from the book of RTS with peg board. I'm considering cleaning out the tool box and hanging my mechanics tools on peg board and using the rolling tool box for mostly construction related tools.

I may take a cue from the book of RTS with peg board. I'm considering cleaning out the tool box and hanging my mechanics tools on peg board and using the rolling tool box for mostly construction related tools.

The only problem with that....I have most of the tools that I need working on the boat in the top half of the roll-away so I can just roll the box over next to the boat when working on it and I don't have to get in, get out, get in, get out,... The in and out routine is a PITA when you're anal about "no shoes" in the boat. :yes::lol:

martinarcher

I have friends cars arrive at my house on tow trucks.....

That's happened to me as well.

Wonder if it might be a sign that all my friends give me the stuff that won't run anymore because they know I won't "let it die" and will tear it down and rebuild it. LOL.gif

I didn't vote because I don't have a boat yet.....

Compressor - Check

Red Rolling Tool Box - Check

Torque Wrench - Check

Pneumatic Tools - Check

I used to do all my own maintenance on my motorcycles and snowmobiles when I had them. I do most of the work on my Pontoon when required. I used to do work on my cars and trucks but now, I leave it to others based available time. I do foresee myself doing nearly all of the general maintenance on my future Bu though. It's something I enjoy and it forces me to learn more. :rockon: I just tend to stay away from the electrical stuff.

martinarcher

Any extra credit if I have 3 torque wrenches?

And, I recently sold 3.

Dang - I've only got two. 3/8" inch/lb and a 1/2" ft/lb wrench. Looks like I need to get a big boy 3/4" wrench. LOL.gif

No,

What you really need is 1/4". You're gonna need it for that Ninja.

I buy and sell some tools on ebay. Good place to get used snappy stuff for much cheaper than off the truck.

I can't fix an engine, but I can build you a deck, finish your basement, or add an addition to your house if you'd like. I like working with saws and hammers.

martinarcher

No,

What you really need is 1/4". You're gonna need it for that Ninja.

I buy and sell some tools on ebay. Good place to get used snappy stuff for much cheaper than off the truck.

The 3/8" is getting it done so far. A 1/4" would certainly make it a bit easier and keep me from having to get so creative with extensions and angles. LOL.gif

I can't fix an engine, but I can build you a deck, finish your basement, or add an addition to your house if you'd like. I like working with saws and hammers.

Well... Those skills will come in handy the next time you need to re-frame and re-drywall your boat. :crazy::Doh::lol: