Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow Filler cushion mounting

scott_fx

Hey guys,

tried doing a search but due to the 4 letter minimum limiting my search, i didn't find a suitable thread.

Im thinking about getting a custom bow filler cushion made for my 1998 sunsetter vlx. Im trying to figure out the best way to 'mount' it. How are they from the factory? are the bow cushions 'cut back' a bit leaving a lip for the filler cushion to rest on? or does the filler cushion have a lip that slides between the bow cushions and the seat frame?

also, if i make the filler out of hdpe, would it be best if i reinforced it with aluminum bars?

thanks again

are the bow cushions 'cut back' a bit leaving a lip for the filler cushion to rest on?

Yes.

If your bow cushions go all the to the edge of the fiberglas on the inside of the "horse shoe" shaped opening then, you'll have a tough time getting a filler cushion in there.

Yes.

If your bow cushions go all the to the edge of the fiberglas on the inside of the "horse shoe" shaped opening then, you'll have a tough time getting a filler cushion in there.

oh cool. i knew you were going to reply. thanks :)

i guess my two options are:

having the upholstery guy cut back on the depth of the cushions

or create a wooden 'base' (sub box maybe?) and integrate the cushion into that

Do you not have bow cushions in the boat already?

Yeah, I thought about telling you that you would have to build up some sort of support from underneath but, that's not realistic for removing that cushion.

When I'm in the bow setting or retrieving the anchor, I'm standing in that dead space with the bow filler cushion out.

no the boat didnt come with a bow cushion.

i'm wondering if i just have him make the filler cushion and then i could have a welder make a frame with 'tabs' that will rest under the stock cushions. if i had this wrapped in vinyl it'd protect the fiberglass from the metal and probably function better then stock

Edited by scott_fx

no the boat didnt come with a bow cushion.

I realized the boat didn't have the center cushion. I meant did you not have the 3 cushions around the outside perimeter since you said..

having the upholstery guy cut back on the depth of the cushions

building in some sort of "T" under the center cushion that would go underneath the outside cushions would be your best bet.

oh sorry... i was confused to as why you asked.

the cushions are there but im dropping the boat off to get reupholstered (hopefully monday). this would be the time for any modifications.

From the factory, the bow cushions are a little short at the windshield edge and at the back edge of the very front cushion leaving three little ledges (1" max) to rest the filler cushion on. When its in, it fits tight to the other cushions so it doesn't often move off the ledges.