Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Texas/Missouri Trailer Title Requirements

hethj7

I'm having the hardest time getting my boat and trailer titled and registered here in Missouri. It was bought from a guy in Texas, and my understanding is Texas doesn't require trailers to be titled if they are under 4,000 lbs (registration is required, but no title). My wife and I have been to the Missouri DMV 3 times now, and was initially told to bring in a Bill of Sale showing the trailer with its ID number, which I later did. They are still asking for a titel from Texas, which I don't think exists.

I do have a copy of the original title from Arkansas, which was from when the boat was bought new. But there is nothing from the state of Texas.

Anyone else fight this issue? Does anyone have a reference from the State of Texas stating what their title requirements are? I've yet to actually find it online other than in other forums, but I'd like something published by Texas to help me with the Missouri DMV. Thanks!

I'm having the hardest time getting my boat and trailer titled and registered here in Missouri. It was bought from a guy in Texas, and my understanding is Texas doesn't require trailers to be titled if they are under 4,000 lbs (registration is required, but no title). My wife and I have been to the Missouri DMV 3 times now, and was initially told to bring in a Bill of Sale showing the trailer with its ID number, which I later did. They are still asking for a titel from Texas, which I don't think exists.

I do have a copy of the original title from Arkansas, which was from when the boat was bought new. But there is nothing from the state of Texas.

Anyone else fight this issue? Does anyone have a reference from the State of Texas stating what their title requirements are? I've yet to actually find it online other than in other forums, but I'd like something published by Texas to help me with the Missouri DMV. Thanks!

I'm not sure if this will help being from Kansas, but when I moved out here form California, I went through a similar issue. CA didn't give a title, but it was registered. To get registered/ licensed in KS I needed to get a VIN inspection with the title at the Sherriff office and then take that to the DMV. Throughout talking to several people at both the DMV office, and Sherriff office, I found out the VIN inspection could be done off the registration, and that was all the DMV really needed to get it titled in KS (the Sherriff himself, who is also a former KHP officer, didn't know this).

Like I said, not sure if this will help, but maybe there will be an idea that might help you.

I'm not sure if this will help being from Kansas, but when I moved out here form California, I went through a similar issue. CA didn't give a title, but it was registered. To get registered/ licensed in KS I needed to get a VIN inspection with the title at the Sherriff office and then take that to the DMV. Throughout talking to several people at both the DMV office, and Sherriff office, I found out the VIN inspection could be done off the registration, and that was all the DMV really needed to get it titled in KS (the Sherriff himself, who is also a former KHP officer, didn't know this).

Like I said, not sure if this will help, but maybe there will be an idea that might help you.

I owned a boat in TX and I don't recall having a title for the trailer - but it was 9 years ago and my memory could be a bit off. Found this on a quick google search:

Texas laws regarding trailers are as varied as the state population, and depend on the type of trailer, its weight, and its intended use. To determine the exact laws for your particular trailer and situation, it would be wise to contact the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles to advise you.

Generally, all camp trailers are titled and registered. Also, any trailer that will be used or pulled on public roads will need to be titled and registered.

However, trailers weighing less than 4,001 pounds are considered "non-titled" trailers, so you may need to register it, but not title it.

Farm trailers also receive special consideration, so check with the county to determine whether your trailer qualifies as a farm trailer.

All registration and titling duties can be completed at your county tax office.

In Ohio, the law mirrors the above. Trailers under 3,000 lbs and used for Non-Commercial use are not titled. You need a bill of sale with the VIN of the trailer and you can register at the DMV. Just had to register my new boat trailer and all I needed was a weight slip (to show it is under 3K lbs) and the bill of sale. Good luck!

-- Mike

Thanks for the replies. After another phone call to the DMV and a 4th trip up there this morning, I finally got my title. I went to a different office location this time and the people there were great to work with, which is a rarity for the DMV around here.

I gave up trying to get my trailer registered in TX. It had CA perm plates and a title "pink slip" from California. TX wanted me to launch the boat, and take it to a state inspection station to have it weighted without the boat. I never got motivated to kill a saturday handling it so I just used it with CA plates. Never got hassled by TX law enforement. I do believe they give you a title, however.

Edited by Wingnut

hethj7, glad to hear you were able to get this worked out. I dealt with the exact same situation about 8 years ago. My 2000 VLX came from Texas as well, and I lived in Kansas City, MO when I bought it. It took two trips to the DMV before I was able to get a title for the trailer, but in the end, all it took was a bill of sale and copy of the TX registration.

Where in KC do you live and where do you ride? I'm originally from KC, grew up in Platte County, and used to ride at Smithville quite a bit during the week. We live in Saint Louis now.

Thanks for the replies. After another phone call to the DMV and a 4th trip up there this morning, I finally got my title. I went to a different office location this time and the people there were great to work with, which is a rarity for the DMV around here.

I was about to say, this sounds very similar, the DMV visits that is. I bought my boat and tralier in Missouri used, originally sold in missouri as well and was titling it Missouri. Shouldn't be too difficult right? wrong!! It still took me 4 trips to the DMV and a few phone calls. Long story short, the DMV had misfiled all the sales papers my dealer had sent them. My dealer even had to provide the fax confirmation of when he sent the dmv the papers since the dmv was refusing to cooperate.

hethj7, glad to hear you were able to get this worked out. I dealt with the exact same situation about 8 years ago. My 2000 VLX came from Texas as well, and I lived in Kansas City, MO when I bought it. It took two trips to the DMV before I was able to get a title for the trailer, but in the end, all it took was a bill of sale and copy of the TX registration.

Where in KC do you live and where do you ride? I'm originally from KC, grew up in Platte County, and used to ride at Smithville quite a bit during the week. We live in Saint Louis now.

I grew up in Platte County as well, in Weston. My wife is from Platte City. We now live just north of the river and Smithville will be our "home" lake, although we have family near Truman so we'll probalby spend some weekends down there.

I was about to say, this sounds very similar, the DMV visits that is. I bought my boat and tralier in Missouri used, originally sold in missouri as well and was titling it Missouri. Shouldn't be too difficult right? wrong!! It still took me 4 trips to the DMV and a few phone calls. Long story short, the DMV had misfiled all the sales papers my dealer had sent them. My dealer even had to provide the fax confirmation of when he sent the dmv the papers since the dmv was refusing to cooperate.

Hopefully I'm not offending anyone here, but state and city office workers seem worthless 9 times out of 10 when I have to deal with them.

Hopefully I'm not offending anyone here, but state and city office workers seem worthless 9 times out of 10 when I have to deal with them.

Sometimes it pays off though. they miscalculated my sales tax and i only paid $1,000. It's the first time I actually laughed all the way to the bank.

Edited by augie09

your timing could not have been worse - MO changed their title requirements 1/1/11 and now they are like Nazi's about it. I bought a new to me truck in January and went through hell getting it titled. I have a Jeep sitting in the garage that I will title after I get it built and I already know what PITA that will be. Plus Jackson Co dropped my boat of my PP tax bill last year, just noticed that, so now I am going to have to kindly ask them to put it back on, pay the fine for this year, and hope they don't look at last year.

In the meantime - good to see another KC guy!! I keep mine on Longview Lake during the summer and usually take a trip to Table Rock. If you ever want to come down to Longview on a Saturday morning for a ride - let me know.

Good to see all the input from KC. I miss having so many lakes right there around the metro to be able to ride during the week, not to mention the cable park. I haven't found the same access since we've been here in Saint Louis.

Good to see all the input from KC. I miss having so many lakes right there around the metro to be able to ride during the week, not to mention the cable park. I haven't found the same access since we've been here in Saint Louis.

The cable park had a rocky road this winter. Owner wanted to move it to texas, then sold it to a local buyer, who plans on keeping it here, however new owner has yet to get a phone line or announce opening dates.