Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Eagle Ski Vests

BuFootin

It's about time for a new ski vest. I was hoping some of the crew members that are die hard "bouy chasers" could give some feedback on these. I know Eagle builds a high quality barefoot suit (I have one) but don"t have any experience with their ski vests. Not necessarily looking for Coast Guard approved. More interested in a good fit, that offers good range of motion while skiing.

Not sure how to post a pic, but interested in this one specifically http://www.barefootcentral.com/eaglebirdofpreyfrontzipvest.aspx

Appreciate any feedback

Of the 3 non CGA vests that I own, the eagle floats me the least. I have a model similar to that one, different graphics. For a man made private lake, its very light and flexible. For a public lake......I would reach for something else. I'll be adding more floatation to mine.

BTW, you can custom order a vest from Eagle with more float too.

I got one last year w/ more floatation. They essentially just double up the layer of insulation in the back. It feels negligibly different from the standard one... I actually like it better. They may charge you $20 or so extra.

The best money I spent all year on skiing/boating....was on that vest. I love it.

A couple tips...that white one in your link looks great, but will get soiled if you ski in murky/dirty water. Make sure you check out the fit guides on the EAgle Sports website. They are designed for reasonably athletic physiques, and are meant to be worn tight (will loosen a bit after first couple times out). I prefer the front zip (bird of prey)...the back zips require flexibility and technique to get on and off.

Range of motion is fantastic. I also like to wear mine under drysuit.

If to look at a CGA vest....Oneill Law

Edited by davemac

Of the 3 non CGA vests that I own, the eagle floats me the least. I have a model similar to that one, different graphics. For a man made private lake, its very light and flexible. For a public lake......I would reach for something else. I'll be adding more floatation to mine.

BTW, you can custom order a vest from Eagle with more float too.

Thanks for the feedback. The floatation was exactly what I was wondering about.

I got one last year w/ more floatation. They essentially just double up the layer of insulation in the back. It feels negligibly different from the standard one... I actually like it better. They may charge you $20 or so extra.

The best money I spent all year on skiing/boating....was on that vest. I love it.

A couple tips...that white one in your link looks great, but will get soiled if you ski in murky/dirty water. Make sure you check out the fit guides on the EAgle Sports website. They are designed for reasonably athletic physiques, and are meant to be worn tight (will loosen a bit after first couple times out). I prefer the front zip (bird of prey)...the back zips require flexibility and technique to get on and off.

Range of motion is fantastic. I also like to wear mine under drysuit.

If to look at a CGA vest....Oneill Law

Thanks davemac! Good to know about the additional floatation. I'll definitely will go that route. I prefer the front zip too, over a rear zip or pull over. Last thing you want to try and do after several exhausting slalom sets it struggle to get out of your vest..

A follow up question on the fit. I'm on the edge of a Lg or XL according to their fit guide. Would you suggest going smaller or larger? I don't mind a snug fit as long as it doesn't restrict motion.

BF,

You don't want one that is going to be too big. The best advice would be to call or email Eagle (they are in Texas)....very responsive & helpful people. You'll possibly talk directly to Chuck Gleason, or his wife Michele. Another suggestion would be to call Tadd at H2osmosis...as he has set up some group buys in the past for Eagle vests w/ the extra floatation (may even have one leftover?)

I'm having trouble setting up a link (not sure if its a problem w/ iMac), but if you cut and post this URL, you will find some discussion on the topic from another site...

www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1983&page=1

If it helps at all, I have an XL and am 5ft 10in tall, 185 lbs (hopefully soon), w/ approx 43 or 44 chest and 34 or 35 waist...which would support the accuracy of their size chart. I would not want the vest any larger, and could maybe make due w/ a Large. I do not believe that the extra floatation would alter the sizing.

Let me know how it goes.

Dave

Edited by davemac

Greatly appreciate the advice. I'll check out H20osmosis too. Yeah, I plan to call Chuck when I'm ready to order. I've spent lots of money with them over the years on barefoot gear, ropes, handles, suits, etc. Wife gets nervous everytime I have their website pulled up on my laptop. :biggrin: