Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

building seat base, tips?

scott_fx

Hey guys,

im ripping out the table of my 1998 sunsetter vlx and i'm planning on extending the bench seat to fill the area.

a few questions:

-how do i mount the new seat base/box to the floor? can i screw into it?

-do i used marine grade ply or is there something else that is better suited for the application?

-if i use ply, do i have to seal it?

-is the best option stainless steel screws?

thanks in advance

edit:

found this post:

guess 3/4" ply, covered in resin.

still confused on hardware and mounting though

Edited by scott_fx

Marine grade ply is best. But something I really like is "Baltic Birch" also called "Russian Birch" Plywood. You can get it at Lowes and Homer DePoe. It comes in 5'x5' sheets in 12mm, 15mm, and 18mm thickness. (25.4mm= 1") The stuff has 7 to 9 plies and very little core (veneer) voids. It stays flat and is exceptionally strong per thickness of wood because of the multiple plies. I have used it with a simple clear "varathane" type finish.

For holding these upright to the floor you will want to visit the "Simpson Strong Tie" aisle in the store. They offer all kinds of galanized 90 degree angles theat will help you fabricate your seat boxes. My boat stays in my garage so I do not have rust on my Simpson Strong Tie hinges I used for a little project I did a decade ago.

If your boat is on moored on the water then you will want to go overboard with a protective finish for the plywood edges and any hardware you use.

How 'bout some already made seat bases from a 2002 Sunsetter? You'd have to cut it up to make it work but with some measurements I could see if anything comes close. Could also get you a cushion/ABS plastic base to make a new cushion from.

Tan carpet, not sure about what your boat has. PM me if you're interested.

To secure to the floor Malibu uses those little SS angle brackets you'll see if you look around the inside of your boat.

-Chris

Marine grade ply is best. But something I really like is "Baltic Birch" also called "Russian Birch" Plywood. You can get it at Lowes and Homer DePoe. It comes in 5'x5' sheets in 12mm, 15mm, and 18mm thickness. (25.4mm= 1") The stuff has 7 to 9 plies and very little core (veneer) voids. It stays flat and is exceptionally strong per thickness of wood because of the multiple plies. I have used it with a simple clear "varathane" type finish.For holding these upright to the floor you will want to visit the "Simpson Strong Tie" aisle in the store. They offer all kinds of galanized 90 degree angles theat will help you fabricate your seat boxes. My boat stays in my garage so I do not have rust on my Simpson Strong Tie hinges I used for a little project I did a decade ago.If your boat is on moored on the water then you will want to go overboard with a protective finish for the plywood edges and any hardware you use.

thanks. i'll give that a try.

How 'bout some already made seat bases from a 2002 Sunsetter? You'd have to cut it up to make it work but with some measurements I could see if anything comes close. Could also get you a cushion/ABS plastic base to make a new cushion from.Tan carpet, not sure about what your boat has. PM me if you're interested.To secure to the floor Malibu uses those little SS angle brackets you'll see if you look around the inside of your boat.-Chris

i think my build is simple enough; just a rectangle so i'll venture to build it myself. but i'm very interested in the plastic base. i'll pm you

I've been here a long time and tend to remember when I've answered a question already.

Even if it was 5 yrs. ago.

Good luck.

edit,

Don't forget about my beer!

Edited by Pistol Pete