Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dock / Lift ideas

Levi900RR

I't might not be this year... but soon I am going to be investing in a dock / lift set up for my beach. I am gathering ideas so I can start dreaming up my ideal set up.

Post up what you have.

Im thinking about 30 feet of dock with a 12X12 swim platform at the end with a covered lift off one side!

Speaking of Floe, You should get one of their drive in and out Docks with that Gift card.

Now those are even sweeter then their lifts.

If you ever want to see some unbelievable able dock set-ups go to either Lake Gogebic in the U.P. or Lake Hopatcong in N.J.

these people spend as much on their docks as they do on their boats.

Speaking of Floe, You should get one of their drive in and out Docks with that Gift card.

Now those are even sweeter then their lifts.

If you ever want to see some unbelievable able dock set-ups go to either Lake Gogebic in the U.P. or Lake Hopatcong in N.J.

these people spend as much on their docks as they do on their boats.

I got a pretty good deal on my boat. I bet i'll be close :crazy:

Here's my set up. This part of the dock is permanent: 4' wide dock, 30' straight and a 14' x 14' platform on the end, cantilevered 2' from supports. 2" posts on the perimeter and reinforced by two 7" posts in the center. Dock is made from Menards treated lumber and their hidden fastener system. No stain or deck treatment. There is a finger coming off of it that I remove to put the lift in and out each season, I remove the posts and the section. This spot is BY FAR the best place to get on and off the boat, for little kids and older adults, if you do get an open bow. There is another finger coming off it that I also remove, that is along the shoreline. I keep a "dock box" on that one for all the little beach toys.

Edit:slide gets moved around, sometimes in the water, sometimes on the pier. Garbage picked it 8 years ago, can't tell you how many kids have gone down that thing.

post-8942-079874900 1300306773_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michigan boarder

Here's my set up. This part of the dock is permanent: 4' wide dock, 30' straight and a 14' x 14' platform on the end, cantilevered 2' from supports. 2" posts on the perimeter and reinforced by two 7" posts in the center. Dock is made from Menards treated lumber and their hidden fastener system. No stain or deck treatment. There is a finger coming off of it that I remove to put the lift in and out each season, I remove the posts and the section. This spot is BY FAR the best place to get on and off the boat, for little kids and older adults, if you do get an open bow. There is another finger coming off it that I also remove, that is along the shoreline. I keep a "dock box" on that one for all the little beach toys.

Edit:slide gets moved around, sometimes in the water, sometimes on the pier. Garbage picked it 8 years ago, can't tell you how many kids have gone down that thing.

I have :drool: 'd over that picture before! :thumbup:

Here's a pic under the canopy. Lift is a 3600lbs cantilever Harbor Master, probably 20 years old. Canopy is from a Great Lakes Lift, probably 25 years old, 23' long. Canvas is 2 years old. I modified the one gable end so I could drive under it with the tower up. This way, I use the boat, drive it up onto the lift, crank it so it's mostly out of the water and switch gear, get stuff from the house, etc. It stays out of the sun and doesn't bang around. When I know I'm done for the day, I put the tower down and crank it all the way up.

Edit: I had velcro sewn into 3 strips on the end of the canopy, you can kind of see the 3 thicker vertical strips.

Also, our shorline drops off very quickly. The front of the lift is bottommed out on the ground, maybe 3' deep, and the back is in 7' of water. So I have deepwater extension legs in the back (long legs with additional bracing). Also, with that steep slope, the boat lift wants to slide out to sea. So, under that first finger off of the pier is a pier post augered down 4', and sticking up out of the sand by 6". I attach a log chain to the two front support poles of the lift and loop it over that pier post that is augered in. That keeps the lift from sliding out, and also keeps it in the exact same spot every year, so I don't have to level it. Lastly, I bolted 2'x2' sections of treated plywood to the deep water legs so they would not sink into the sand on the slope.

It took a few years to perfect the set up, but now it's flawless.

post-8942-083473200 1300307316_thumb.jpg

Edited by Michigan boarder

Nice set up. I have a similar set up now with the large platform area at the end of the dock however with the pending new boat and lift, things will be reconfigured to accommodate the bu and the toon. With only 40' of frontage, I'm going to loose my lounge area, but gain a bu.

Here is my set up. The dock is on flotation held in place by three pilings with the delta between high and low tide about 3 feet. The boat sits on a hydro hoist lift center mount rated at 6600lbs. The metal roof cover/boathouse is one I bought in kit form and did a custom mount on my dock it is 14' wide X 30' long and is 12' high at the peak with the side skirts about 7' tall. Over the bow of the boat (can't see in the picture I built a shelf 14' wide and 8' long out of plywood decking to store all the stuff you swim with, sit on, float with, and sometimes carry in the boat. The overall length of the dock is 38' long with a 13' wide by 32' open u in the middle. each finger of the u dock is 4' wide. Off of one side of the u is an additional seating area that is 12' wide by 16' long. The top surface of the dock is skidguard 3/4" plywood sitting on top of 2"X10" and I painted the dock surface with a marine epoxy paint mixed with the non skid sand in it. I also have power on water on the dock.

This year I want to add lighting and sound! What would I do different? Build it even bigger and if the HOA allowed it; sides on the boat house. You can never have enough dock space. I can easily moor 3 boats at the dock plus mine in the U berth.

-Dave

post-3887-017018800 1300331290_thumb.jpg

V-Dock. If you have to take it in and out of the lake, you NEED to check out this site. They are the lightest, sturdiest, most maintenance free, and most well designed docks out there.

http://vdock.com

I have 3' wide dock now and hate it. My other house I had a 4' wide dock and it is a lot better for people passing each other, carry gear ect... Go with a 4' wide dock if you can.

I have 3' wide dock now and hate it. My other house I had a 4' wide dock and it is a lot better for people passing each other, carry gear ect... Go with a 4' wide dock if you can.

Good point. Mine is 4' wide and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

I don't have a photo handy, but we have (2) 4ft wide sections side by side running out for thirty feet. With young kids running around, it works out awesome.