Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat dies when driving

Hello,

I have a 2020 Axis, with a Monsoon M5Di, that is having a similar issue. Without warning, it just dies, but will start up again after cooling down. I included a Diacom screenshot of the engine just before it dies. I can't find anything wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?

https://postimg.cc/Kkm9rZ4J

Edited by Jingles

You were operating at roughly 350 feet above sea level.  I find it very hard to believe that the intake air was 117*F.

I am not familiar with cam phasers and why the actual position might not be closer to the desired position.

12 hours ago, Jingles said:

Hello,

I have a 2020 Axis, with a Monsoon M5Di, that is having a similar issue. Without warning, it just dies, but will start up again after cooling down. I included a Diacom screenshot of the engine just before it dies. I can't find anything wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Interested to see what you come up with. We just picked up a new leftover 2020 T22 with the M5di with a very similar issue. Ours just fires right back up without waiting to cool down. The whole story incase anyone needs to compare notes, the dealer took it out for a delivery shake down run. Got a code for Exhaust Manifold Temp. They brought a tech out. He pulled the data and it showed 165 degrees when the code was thrown. He cleared it and left it plugged in to watch everything while we took it out. Didn't really know why there was an issue with the temp at 165. Was running fine for about 20 minutes, they booted the throttle a bit and the boat died like someone turned the battery switch off. Radio, dash, engine, ballast pumps, everything was dead. They called for a tow. The tech checked all the connections and fuses while we were being towed. He couldn't find anything obvious so he put everything back. We're pulling into the marina, everyone's sitting back having a laugh, power comes back on. We hadn't touched anything, just came back by itself. They went through it at the service center, sent the telemetry recording to Malibu/Axis for them to look over. Called the next day, said they found a loose ground, Malibu says the boat is good to go. It ran fine for a few days with no issues. Then it started acting up again. Runs fine for about an hour, we stop for lunch, fire it back up, give it some throttle, engine quits. Everything else still works. Stereo and dash stay on. Put it in neutral, turn the key, fires right back up. We headed back to the launch, stopped to put out the bumpers and lines, clicked it to idle forward, died. Throw it in neutral, hit the key, fires right back up. Idle up to the dock, click idle reverse to stop, dies. Was just able to get it fired back up in time to keep it from running into the dock. Brought it home and I went through the major components checking the connections. Couldn't find any loose terminals on the batteries, battery switch, distribution posts on the stringer, the engine ground, alternator. Couldn't find any loose wires, all the nuts were snug. Couple relays seemed a little crooked so I made sure they were seated correctly. Few days later I had some friends that would be out so we tried it again knowing we could call up a tow if we needed one. Needed a couple more hours on it to do the 10 hour inspection/service and get it winterized at the same time. Ran fine for a couple hours with a fresh tank and some Stabil 360 Marine getting it ready to store. Ran the throttle up and down slowly a few times, slow cruising, ran it up to 35 mph for a run down the lake, couple accelerations from a dig, ran flawlessly. Picked up my wife at the launch, ran it for 30 minutes or so and stopped for dinner. Started fine, slow cruised about 5 mph around the bay, headed for open water giving it some throttle, dies. So we brought it back in. No dramas coming into the dock this time. Had it on the trailer, sitting in the driveway, wiping everything down, key in ACC with the stereo playing and the interior lights on for about 20 minutes. Then the whole boat went black, no power to anything. Dealer said they'd try to have a look at it now before they winterized it but weren't optimistic being busy trying to get everyone else put away. No biggie, I get it. They're busy and short staffed like the rest of the world right now. Plus we're done with it for the next 6 or 7 months. Just a little frustrating to spend that kind of money on something and have this issue from the start. I've read about some other 2020's having these issues right out of the box. Covid Boats I guess :D

I found a loose connection that may have been the culprit. There is a breaker (120 amp, if I remember correctly) in a little compartment behind the battery switch. The wire coming out of the breaker feeds both fuse panels. The connection is hard to reach, so it's possible that someone at the factory just hand tightened it. I pulled the breaker out and repostioned it and secured the connection. I ran the boat for about an hour with no issues.

Edited by Jingles