Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

gauges no go

We took our 98 sunsetter

for a run and found all the gauges where not working so i turned the motor off then turned off battery master switch turned it back on started the motor and all the gauges are working again so after wakeboarding for a hour we turned the motor off for about 30 minites when i restarted the motor no gauges again battery turned off and then restart gauges are back can anyone out there help me with this one

Have you checked all the grounds for the guages? When a few of ours stopped working last summer I found the problem to be loose wire connections at the grounding block under the dash.

thanks jetskipro550 sounds like a good place to start i should have mentioned the tacho has been playing up for a while ie at idle it sits at 2500 rpm so maybe theres a link with my gauge problem

waimo,

Starting with the ground block is definetly the first thing you want to check. You could run an auxillary jumper wire from this block (which may be in the area underneath your throttle controls) to a know good ground. (this being the battery negative terminal to be sure)

Besides that, the MDC control unit the drives the guages is know to be problematic and fail at times.

I agree with Pistol Pete!

Run a good ground wire from the battery negative terminal to the dash ground.

The battery selector switch has nothing to do with the problem. Its function is to select the source of the +12V supply. If your engine started then it is doing its job.

You might have problems with your key switch if running the ground wire does not clear things up. The key switch supplies 12 volts to the dash when it is in the on position.