Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1998 sunsetter Gauge question

scott_fx

my depth gauge hasn't worked since i purchased the boat (though when i originally looked at the boat, the gauge did power on). i finally had the dash apart and noticed that nothing was plugged into the gauge. I also noticed that three wasn't a factory plug that was laying disconnected. this has me completely baffled. should i have a waterproof connector like the ones shown in this pic:

(stolen from a post from hybridpower)

IMG_6466.jpg

are these connectors unique to the gauge that they control or is there some logic in the gauge and any plug could give the appropriate info to any gauge?

post-14922-035386500 1300233144_thumb.jp

I am thinking that the purple and white wire had something to do with it also, but I am not sure that it works other than to flash numbers at me. Does anyone have a link to the instructions on how to operate the depth finder>

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident that Borg Warner never made a depth finder for the Kyser Medallion instruments that are in that generation boat. Newer boats have an integrated system that could be powered by the MMDC and use the same plug as the speedo tach and diagnostic gauges, but not what would have been in your boat. There must be some additional wiring for the depth finder somewhere in there.

The Medallion instruments use a bus design, so each gauge only listens to the information on the bus that it cares about, that's why they all have a common connector.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident that Borg Warner never made a depth finder for the Kyser Medallion instruments that are in that generation boat. Newer boats have an integrated system that could be powered by the MMDC and use the same plug as the speedo tach and diagnostic gauges, but not what would have been in your boat. There must be some additional wiring for the depth finder somewhere in there.

The Medallion instruments use a bus design, so each gauge only listens to the information on the bus that it cares about, that's why they all have a common connector.

thank you skicrave. there are some extra wires but.... the plug on the back of the depth finder gauge matches all the other gauges (tach, speed, oil, fuel, temp, psi) i did see it light up when i looked at the boat before i bought it... though it has never worked for me.

Hmm, well like I said, I could be wrong about them offering a matching gauge. You could try plugging it in, which should allow it to power up, but I don't believe it will get data from the transducer and computer over the bus.

You know, I just realized I don't know what year your boat is. From the way you phrased your question it sounds like you have an external depth finder gauge, but that's an assumption on my part.

Even if it is external, that doesn't mean it's not integrated into the MMDC.

it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. when i purchased the boat he actually had a mastercraft 'ecu' instead of a malibu. thank god for the techs at bakes marine for figuring that out... everything is the same but the fuel sending unit. a quick swap fixed it :)

i'll try to investigate the wiring a little more when i get the boat back

You know, I just realized I don't know what year your boat is. From the way you phrased your question it sounds like you have an external depth finder gauge, but that's an assumption on my part.

Even if it is external, that doesn't mean it's not integrated into the MMDC.

it's a 1998 sunsetter :) (put it in the title heh) and it is external.

it's a 1998 sunsetter :) (put it in the title heh).

Duh!

Yeah, I've had a couple of '98s, and to my knowledge Medallion never made a depth finder. That's a tough one without being able to actually look at the boat. Maybe post a pic when you get the boat back.

dumb question #2 -- do you have a "puck" (the depth finder thing in your bilge)? That would sorta be the easier way to figure out whether you have one or not, no?

i'll have to go take a look at it. i actually have the boat right now, it goes in on monday for the upholstery but i'm not sure i'll ever see it in the light since im working insane hours right now. im going to try to find some time on sunday.

i'll have to figure out where the puck is located and what it looks like.... i'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of these boats. :)

looks like ... a puck with a wire coming out of it. usually epoxied to the hull in the bilge next to the tranny.

thanks, i'll try to look this weekend