Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer brakes locking up

This last weekend I had the trailer brakes lock up. It happened when I started backing down the ramp. I pulled forward and then back again and they

were still locking up. So I pulled forward and drove around the parking lot and then went to back down the ramp and it was fine. The next day no problems.

The third day same problem again. Everything looked fine but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for. Any suggestions?

I have an 04 ws lsv on an Extreme trailer

thanks

I second what eyepeeler said. I had something similar happen. It's a different trailer make, but probably the same type of brake system. One of the trailer lines detects when you shift into reverse (I think it feeds off the backup light line). The safety system on the brakes will lock if you go in reverse and that reverse line isn't hot.

My problem turned out to be a short somewhere. As a temporary hack, I had to flip the connector and turn on my lights so that the reverse line on the trailer was feeding off the light wire instead.

Edited by SacKen

I second what eyepeeler said. I had something similar happen. It's a different trailer make, but probably the same type of brake system. One of the trailer lines detects when you shift into reverse (I think it feeds off the backup light line). The safety system on the brakes will lock if you go in reverse and that reverse line isn't hot.

My problem turned out to be a short somewhere. As a temporary hack, I had to flip the connector and turn on my lights so that the reverse line on the trailer was feeding off the light wire instead.

Sounds like either a bad or loose connection. I actually used rubbing compound with a Qtip to clean mine one year, followed up with a cleaning with contact cleaner. Havent had a problem since.

There is a blue (mine is blue) lead from the connector on the trailer that goes to a reverse solonoid on the trailer. This solonoid is what allowes you to back up without locking the trailer tires. To check the solonoid all you need is a 12 vdc power source and a jumper wire. Put the 12 vdc hot on the lead and ground on the trailer you will hear the solonoid click when the circuit is made. it will also release with an audibal click as well just not as loud. There is only one click per application so you cannot do this without a portable power sourseor a long jumper cable. If the solonoid clicks then it is good and you should focus on the loose bad connection.

hope this helps

I do not have surge brakes. I pull the boat with a 01 Suburban. I think I'll try the contact cleaner and see how that works,

Actually, if your trailer has brakes, I'm 99.9% certain you have hydraulic surge brakes.

If you have drum brakes, most likely something is broken (free backing plates or wheel cylinders are seized)

If you have disc brakes the blue wire is energized when you back up shutting a back up solenoid valve that shuts off the brake fluid flowing to your brakes.

If your on a steep hill you might end needing a back up key if you have a UFP Brake Actuator.

Hope this helps you out. Not being able to back up is a pain!

-Paul

• 2 years later...

WOW! You guys have been a hugh help! I am a brand new (woman) boat owner (2008 Malibu V drive) as of last year. I have had alot to learn about having a boat and have enjoyed every minute of it. But I never dreamed of having troubles with the trailer. Like you all...my trailer sometimes won't back up. Thanks to all your great advise I will be checking for the problem.

TJ

WOW! You guys have been a hugh help! I am a brand new (woman) boat owner (2008 Malibu V drive) as of last year. I have had alot to learn about having a boat and have enjoyed every minute of it. But I never dreamed of having troubles with the trailer. Like you all...my trailer sometimes won't back up. Thanks to all your great advise I will be checking for the problem.

TJ

Are you looking for a boat boy?? I can send a resume and pics.

PM me if interested.

Edited by happypappy

check your trailer light fuses. I had the same problems. Your surge brakes can be locked out by using the lockout key and turning your lights on. But if you have a blown a fuse on your trailer lights, the lockout won't work. I replace a .50cent fuse and haven't had a problem since.