Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in Transmission Fluid

I am looking at buying a 97 Malibu Echelon. It is pretty rough, but price is 6k with a new aluminum trailer. The bilge filled with water and I replaced the starter and it runs good. I checked the oil and no water visible there. I checked the ATF before running and it looked nice and red. I ran it and noticed that it would not go completly out of gear. Drive shaft still spinning slowly when in neutral. I checked the TF again and it looks like a strawberry milk shake. I am guessing when the bilge filled water entered the transmission. Can it just be flushed several times and possibly okay or is this more serious. What is worst case cost to rebuild a tranny? Any comments on price of boat would be helpful. Gelcoat is good, engine seems good, needs interior and tranny is big question. Thanks for any help.

Mac

I am looking at buying a 97 Malibu Echelon. It is pretty rough, but price is 6k with a new aluminum trailer. The bilge filled with water and I replaced the starter and it runs good. I checked the oil and no water visible there. I checked the ATF before running and it looked nice and red. I ran it and noticed that it would not go completly out of gear. Drive shaft still spinning slowly when in neutral. I checked the TF again and it looks like a strawberry milk shake. I am guessing when the bilge filled water entered the transmission. Can it just be flushed several times and possibly okay or is this more serious. What is worst case cost to rebuild a tranny? Any comments on price of boat would be helpful. Gelcoat is good, engine seems good, needs interior and tranny is big question. Thanks for any help.

Mac

you definitely don't want that boat. what you need to do is tell me where it is and the seller's name :whistle:

As to the tranny cost, call skidim, they'll tell you the price. hard to say if any damage occurred.

I'm being serious about telling me seller if you don't want, I'd def be interested.

Mac

Dont buy it... your most likely looking at a new tranny.

Best thing to do to fix it is to remove the tranny to properly drain the fluids and refill.

Option two is to keep changing the fluid 4 or 5 or more times until it stays red.

EDIT - the driveshaft slowly spinning in neutral is normal

-Chris

Edited by 99response

That is a strange deal, the trailer has to cost like 2k of that 6k. But hey, a deal is a deal.

-Why aluminum on the trailer, was it run in salt water? That can present other, more serious issues.

-Sorry, I can't help on the tranny, no experience there

-Is it open bow (LX model) or closed? That changes the value by like a grand (more for the LX)

-Interior will cost you around $2500 if you have it done. If you buy the skins more like $1500 I think

-What options does it have (wedge, tower, heater, etc.)

-What engine?

Say it's a plain Echelon, no wedge/tower/options. If you buy it for $6k, put an interior in it, you have say $8k, even a rebuild tranny can't be more than $1k (I'm guessing). Assuming like you said, all else is good, you have $9k in the boat with a new interior, new trailer, and rebuilt tranny. I'm guessing that boat would be valued at around $10.5k all day long, so you'd be OK. The Echelon is a great boat, I'm very happy with mine.

The guy needs the money bad, I just want to make sure I don't get stuck with any surprises. The boat has not been taken care of at all. It has been on a fresh water lake for the last five years. No salt water. However, it sat in the lake for the last 5 months. Bilge filled with rain water when the battery went dead.

Not sure what happened to the original trailer. The new one is single axle Magic Tilt, I am guessing it is around $1800 new. Best looking part of the rig! It is not an open bow and does not have a tower. Does have a wedge but is rough shape from sitting in the water. No heater. Merc 350 ci 265 hp engine. It seems to be strong. The boat has 522 hours.

The drive shaft was spinning in neutral enough to move the boat forward. I have changed the TF twice and it is now just barely turning. The TF is still somewhat milky. I found a rebuilt tranny for $650, so that might be the worst case.

Is there any quirks I should know about restoring an Echelon?

85 Barefoot I will let you know if I don't buy it.

Thanks for the help.

Dont buy it... your most likely looking at a new tranny.

You have no way of knowing that. I have an antique bf nautique in which the tranny fluid looked more like milk than a strawberry milkshake when I bought it, and tranny is fine after a few changes. If the boat wasn't used when water was in the tranny, I doubt any damage done at all.

Secondly, even if he has to buy a new transmisison, could still be a smoking deal.

The guy needs the money bad, I just want to make sure I don't get stuck with any surprises. The boat has not been taken care of at all. It has been on a fresh water lake for the last five years. No salt water. However, it sat in the lake for the last 5 months. Bilge filled with rain water when the battery went dead.

Not sure what happened to the original trailer. The new one is single axle Magic Tilt, I am guessing it is around $1800 new. Best looking part of the rig! It is not an open bow and does not have a tower. Does have a wedge but is rough shape from sitting in the water. No heater. Merc 350 ci 265 hp engine. It seems to be strong. The boat has 522 hours.

The drive shaft was spinning in neutral enough to move the boat forward. I have changed the TF twice and it is now just barely turning. The TF is still somewhat milky. I found a rebuilt tranny for $650, so that might be the worst case.

Is there any quirks I should know about restoring an Echelon?

85 Barefoot I will let you know if I don't buy it.

Thanks for the help.

Considering all that, buy it, you're getting a good deal. On restoring, do some search functions on this site and you'll find lots of threads. It's a basic engine, hull, interior. You will probably need a steering cable soon. Does it have the computer (computron)? Those fail and are not replaceable, I'm going to eliminate mine and install Perfect Pass next year.

Go for it!

I know you said the gelcoat is good, but if it sat in the water for 5 months straight, take a good look for gelcoat blisters on the bottom.

It doesn't have the computron. I guess that is a good thing.

I have seen blistered gel coat and I checked for it. It looked good. I have a friend that does fiberglass boat work for a living and I am sure he can make it look like new.

I am very impressed with the amount of abuse this boat has taken and has still held up fairly well.

Someone mentioned skins for the upholstery. Are you saying you can still buy them from a dealer and just install them? I have reupholstered a Sport Natique and it was $2000, but there is a lot more seating in it.

Thanks again.

Someone mentioned skins for the upholstery. Are you saying you can still buy them from a dealer and just install them? I have reupholstered a Sport Natique and it was $2000, but there is a lot more seating in it.

Thanks again.

There's a guy named Chee, you'll find his name and number with a search. He has the patterns for the older boats and can make them up and send you them for you to install. I have no experience with him, he seems tough to get ahold of, but people have been really happy with his work. Or, look local, you may find someone that does upholstery work and can do it for you, it's a pretty easy job on that boat especially with the closed bow. I had mine done locally and saved some $ and had it customzed a bit.

you definitely don't want that boat. what you need to do is tell me where it is and the seller's name :whistle:

As to the tranny cost, call skidim, they'll tell you the price. hard to say if any damage occurred.

I'm being serious about telling me seller if you don't want, I'd def be interested.

85 Barefoot. I am not going to buy the boat. If you are interested in it I am in Florida near Jacksonville. I will give you the details and put you in touch with the owner. You can call me at 904-707-3020.

85 Barefoot,

If you are looking to upgrade your barefoot boat, I have two and I only need one....let me know if you would like either a 93 Flightcraft Sportster or a 95 Echelon LX with a 454 Mercruiser Mag EFI....

JB

Mac

When I make a deal like this I just make sure that no matter what you will come out on top......that is to say assume that you will need a new tranny and what ever else, make him an offer that will allow you to pay for those repairs in the event that it is needed.

85 Barefoot,

If you are looking to upgrade your barefoot boat, I have two and I only need one....let me know if you would like either a 93 Flightcraft Sportster or a 95 Echelon LX with a 454 Mercruiser Mag EFI....

JB

Appreciate offer... My barefoot nautique has 454 sweet table, wakes, and well, everything. Hits 50 on gps no problem. You ever ski behind one? That said, would be interested in your 95 for slalom purposes. Details?

When I make a deal like this I just make sure that no matter what you will come out on top......that is to say assume that you will need a new tranny and what ever else, make him an offer that will allow you to pay for those repairs in the event that it is needed.

I looked at pics from the owner. I was optimistic for op, and obviously expressed some interest of my own, i had no idea, however, that a relatively late model boat was capable of appearing being abused this badly.

85 Barefoot, Yes I have skied behind your boat (86 + 84 BF Nautique direct drives and many Correct Craft v-drives too), your table is super flat and wide, and the trough looks like crossing over mount everest to a rookie, does it not?!?....its a piece of cake, but it makes a 1st time wake crosser stop dead and start sweating...LOL...that said, my Echelon LX is not a good choice for slalom, you are better off with the closed bow version with a small block....just being honest...but my 93 Flighty, now thats a whole different story...both an AWESOME barefoot boat complete with a trough (the echelon does not have a trough) and a great little slalom wake as well....the Flighty (direct-drive) is one of the best tracking boats with NO hull spray to deal with at slalom short line....while the hull spay on the Echelon LX with big block is bothersome at short line slalom....it will pelt you in the face....not fun...Have you ever skied behind a Flightcraft OB or Direct Drive? they will spoil you...where do you guys foot at?

An additional comment on the Echelon for sale that was half submerged, electrical. There will most likely be some electrical gremlins that will need to be chased down with a boat that had water in the bilge for a while. Luckily, these boats are pretty simple, so not that daunting a task but one should be aware of the potential.