Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2 ?'s - Oil Pressure & Steering/Torque/Pull

Had my 'bu out for the first time in a few months yesterday....And only the 2nd time I ran it since buying it (coming out of a MasterCraft).

Anyway...2 ?'s

1. Do you guys see a big swing in Oil Pressure (2004 Monsoon 340). Oil Pressure is right in the middle (40) at idel to 2000 rpm, but then runs right up to 80 from 3000 - 4500 rpm???. I know the original owner (it is a 2004 WS VLX w/250 hrs) told me he replaced the Oil Pressure sensor with a NAPA part (I have the old one) because he told me the original never worked right? Just trying to get a sense of what is "normal."

2. I have driven inboards all my life - - the boat REALLY seems to pull hard to the right - more than other inboards I have driven. Like at cruising speed, if you take your hand off the wheel, you better hold on. I have read some threads on this subject - anyone doing any mods to neutralize the effect? Is this abnormal?

Other than that - Water was glass, Lake Temp 72, was awesome to be out...the 'Bu ran strong.....2011 boarding is off to a good start!

Thanks!

Had my 'bu out for the first time in a few months yesterday....And only the 2nd time I ran it since buying it (coming out of a MasterCraft).

Anyway...2 ?'s

1. Do you guys see a big swing in Oil Pressure (2004 Monsoon 340). Oil Pressure is right in the middle (40) at idel to 2000 rpm, but then runs right up to 80 from 3000 - 4500 rpm???. I know the original owner (it is a 2004 WS VLX w/250 hrs) told me he replaced the Oil Pressure sensor with a NAPA part (I have the old one) because he told me the original never worked right? Just trying to get a sense of what is "normal."

2. I have driven inboards all my life - - the boat REALLY seems to pull hard to the right - more than other inboards I have driven. Like at cruising speed, if you take your hand off the wheel, you better hold on. I have read some threads on this subject - anyone doing any mods to neutralize the effect? Is this abnormal?

Other than that - Water was glass, Lake Temp 72, was awesome to be out...the 'Bu ran strong.....2011 boarding is off to a good start!

Thanks!

For your #1, this seems to be normal. I have a 2005, with same engine (340) and see the same oil pressure readings. Mine never quite hits 80 though.

#2 - Normal for RLXi's. You likely have a tuneable rudder on your boat. There should be a allen screw on your rudder that allows you to adjust a little "wing" that will provide more / or less pull in one direction. Helpful when driving in a couse to limit oversteering or wandering. You probably won't ever get it fully neutral though.

Hope this helps......I'll be hitting the water any week now! :rockon:

1) Sounds about right. Maybe a little high on both, but nothing I'd be concerned about. My '01 325 runs 40 -> 80 cold & 30 -> 70 warm.

2) Search for rudder grinding. There could be something bent underneath that's causing it to pull that hard. Coming from DD slalom boats, I'm used to always keeping a hand on the wheel and telling everyone who drives the boat that they also need to keep a hand on the wheel. It hardly takes any effort to keep the boat straight, but it will get your attention as soon as you forget & release the wheel.

I'm jealous about the air & water temps. It will be June before we see those temps.

Oil pressure is normal the oil pumps are a pressure on demand type that really turn up the pressure under hard loading, which is pretty often in a boat. I've always told people don't worry about the pressure being high, worry about it it going to zero.

You can grind the rudder, sounds like its not abnormal, but if it seems excessive from your experience then grind/file away.

-Chris

If the boat has a steering cable and the rudder issues is not corrected by the above, you may look at the steering cable being bad. Mine pullled and was hard to steer, I changed the steering cable and it fixed everything.