Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Touch command question

Have a buddy who just got his 2011 VLX. MTC working fine for a while and then will essentially "lock", not allowing him to do anything with the MTC. So, he has to power down the boat and restart the engine. It will work fine for a while, then did it again (it's only done it twice to my knowledge). This comes after engine been running about 15 mins.

I told him my guess was that there is some kind of automatic screen lock that there must be some way of unlocking (like double-tapping, etc.), but he hasn't found it yet. Anyone heard of this issue? Fix?

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fman

• 85 Barefoot

• jrz1

• Johnrolson

Have a buddy who just got his 2011 VLX. MTC working fine for a while and then will essentially "lock", not allowing him to do anything with the MTC. So, he has to power down the boat and restart the engine. It will work fine for a while, then do it again. This comes after engine been running about 15 mins.

I told him my guess was that there is some kind of automatic screen lock that there must be some way of unlocking (like double-tapping, etc.), but he hasn't found it yet. Anyone heard of this issue? Fix?

I havent experience that at all... ran the boat all day Saturday and the Malivue and the MTC never shut down, locked out or anything like that. The only thing I can say is if you havent touched the MTC for a while... you have to press and hold your finger for a second or so... so when i would go to restart the engine, I would do a quick couple taps on the little engine icon to start it... none of those would work like you would expect an Iphone....then i would do a sustained press and hold with my finger on the engine icon and it would start right up. Perhaps it needs a second on the 1st touch to go active, sense warmth of the finger.. i donno...

same same with entering the 4 digit unlock code when you first power on.... the first number press and hold... the next 3 numbers are quick taps..

I have been thru all the options and settings pages on the MTC and the Malivue... the only think I could think to reccomend it the "RETURN TO FACTORY DEFAULTS" setting up on the Malivue... and it should reset them??

I first reported this late last year in this post. The dealer said they have resolved this issue but as I was installing my heater, I was listening to music and the screen locked up again on me. I spent some time at the boat show working with my dealer and people that work at corporate and the factory and asked them about it and they all were shocked. They suggested to verify I had the most up-to-date version, which I am 90% sure it is. The only other thing is push the dealer to replace the screen, which is what I am doing. We pay a lot of money to not have control over our boat. Technology is great as long as it works and if it doesn't, it makes life more difficult.

Let me know what you find out.

I first reported this late last year in this post. The dealer said they have resolved this issue but as I was installing my heater, I was listening to music and the screen locked up again on me. I spent some time at the boat show working with my dealer and people that work at corporate and the factory and asked them about it and they all were shocked. They suggested to verify I had the most up-to-date version, which I am 90% sure it is. The only other thing is push the dealer to replace the screen, which is what I am doing. We pay a lot of money to not have control over our boat. Technology is great as long as it works and if it doesn't, it makes life more difficult.

Let me know what you find out.

How do you check the version? Unless the factory is using an outdated version, his should be fine....as in the boat is less than a week old (not to him, from date of completion).

What did your dealer say the issue was? software or hardware?

How do you check the version? Unless the factory is using an outdated version, his should be fine....as in the boat is less than a week old (not to him, from date of completion).

What did your dealer say the issue was? software or hardware?

I believe you can check the version by entering the Setup function > About.

The issue has not been resolved on my boat, but the dealer is getting me a new complete unit. So, I will go from there. It leads me to think it is a hardware issue because other MTC owners have not had issues. Your buddy and I are the only ones that are having the same issue by the way they are described.

I believe you can check the version by entering the Setup function > About.

The issue has not been resolved on my boat, but the dealer is getting me a new complete unit. So, I will go from there. It leads me to think it is a hardware issue because other MTC owners have not had issues. Your buddy and I are the only ones that are having the same issue by the way they are described.

lucky you...would you mind letteing me know how it goes once replaced?

I would have your buddy tell the dealer to get him a new unit. It is covered under warranty and not the dealerships fault the unit doesn't work. IMHO it is better to take care of the customer.

But I will keep you posted. Ping me in about 3-4 weeks. That is when I should be getting in the water.. not soon enough!

I have had my screen lock up twice where I had to do the same "power down" sequence in order to re-gain touch control. I only had the boat out a couple of times in the fall before winterization, but if it acts up again, I will press the delear for a new screen. I have also experienced the touch "lag time" as you reported.

So far, I am not that impressed with the system, and if it leaves me stranded........

Ut-oh, this is not a good sign.... its not even summer and people are having problems with MTC????? I really, really, hope Malibu did there homework on this system. I was skeptical about buying it with the MTC but my sales rep assured me Malibu tested this system for over two years before realeasing to production!!! They dont offer the boat with toggle switches, and a keyed ignition, which I would of rather had. I am not a big fan of electronics and boats.... I wonder how the Tige touch is performing?

Keeping my fingers crossed my VLX will not have any MTC bugs!

I have had my screen lock up twice where I had to do the same "power down" sequence in order to re-gain touch control. I only had the boat out a couple of times in the fall before winterization, but if it acts up again, I will press the delear for a new screen. I have also experienced the touch "lag time" as you reported.

So far, I am not that impressed with the system, and if it leaves me stranded........

Why wait? If my screen locks up at all it will be back at the dealership. Nothing worse than having your boat down during peak season. This is disappointing to hear, what a crock if they did not fully test this system before installing it in there boats. I still cant figure out what was wrong with toggle switches, and a keyed ignition. I give Mastercraft props, they have the BIG display but everything else is aircraft toggle switches which are bulletproof.

Ut-oh, this is not a good sign.... its not even summer and people are having problems with MTC????? I really, really, hope Malibu did there homework on this system. I was skeptical about buying it with the MTC but my sales rep assured me Malibu tested this system for over two years before realeasing to production!!! They dont offer the boat with toggle switches, and a keyed ignition, which I would of rather had. I am not a big fan of electronics and boats.... I wonder how the Tige touch is performing?

Keeping my fingers crossed my VLX will not have any MTC bugs!

Well even my buddy has not had a catastrophic bug. Just has to shutdown and restart. It's not like it goes dead or can't get started or something.

Why wait? If my screen locks up at all it will be back at the dealership. Nothing worse than having your boat down during peak season. This is disappointing to hear, what a crock if they did not fully test this system before installing it in there boats. I still cant figure out what was wrong with toggle switches, and a keyed ignition. I give Mastercraft props, they have the BIG display but everything else is aircraft toggle switches which are bulletproof.

Nothing, but nothing was wrong with a lot of things that need to push the envelope. There was nothing "wrong" with a mid eighties ski nautique for a wakeboard boat. Personally I'm kind of glad ballast and wedges were inveted even though some pay have problems.

Well even my buddy has not had a catastrophic bug. Just has to shutdown and restart. It's not like it goes dead or can't get started or something.

Your buddy is ok with this??????????????

For the amount of money for a new boat, for me this is not acceptable. You should not have to keep restarting your ignition because the screen locks up.... just from these posts it sounds like the system was not tested properly, hopefully they are working to improve this. I guess I will find out in a few weeks, as I said earlier, keeping my fingers crossed.

Your buddy is ok with this??????????????

For the amount of money for a new boat, for me this is not acceptable. You should not have to keep restarting your ignition because the screen locks up.... just from these posts it sounds like the system was not tested properly, hopefully they are working to improve this. I guess I will find out in a few weeks, as I said earlier, keeping my fingers crossed.

Uh, he's not returning the boat!

Fman, if you are expecting a "car-like" experience, you're going to have to relax a little. Malibu has exceptional quality control, but there will be issues, even with new boats. You're seeing on here that there are two, (TWO!) people with this "issue", (that I have to deal with on my computer once an hour), that you're now basically saying it doesn't sound to you like Malibu properly "tested" the system. Trust me, after myself and my family have owned seven malibus, the system never would have made it in the boat if it wasn't properly tested. Does that mean that there won't be SOMEONE with a bug, of course not.

You haven't even driven your boat yet, no need to get all worked up that you're going to have a problem. Relax. I will predict for you, however, that you will, at some point, have an issue with something on the boat. As do people with Ferraris. It's just the nature of having a complicated handmade product. That two people have had an MTC go unresponsive is not the end of the world. The nice thing is, this is a electronic issue. It's not a flawed hull design that cannot be fixed which has occurred (not by Malibu)

Secondly, I never said he has to "keep restarting his engine". It's done this twice. And its not like MTC doesn't work, it works great, but on two occasions it has been unresponsive. Doesn't mean it wasn't tested nor that its even an issue at this point. I will say this, the system looks sweet. If I was in the market for a new one, I wouldn't hesitate for a second on the MTC even knowing what I do about my buddy's.

Uh, he's not returning the boat!

Fman, if you are expecting a "car-like" experience, you're going to have to relax a little. Malibu has exceptional quality control, but there will be issues, even with new boats. You're seeing on here that there are two, (TWO!) people with this "issue", (that I have to deal with on my computer once an hour), that you're now basically saying it doesn't sound to you like Malibu properly "tested" the system. Trust me, after myself and my family have owned seven malibus, the system never would have made it in the boat if it wasn't properly tested. Does that mean that there won't be SOMEONE with a bug, of course not.

You haven't even driven your boat yet, no need to get all worked up that you're going to have a problem. Relax. I will predict for you, however, that you will, at some point, have an issue with something on the boat. As do people with Ferraris. It's just the nature of having a complicated handmade product. That two people have had an MTC go unresponsive is not the end of the world. The nice thing is, this is a electronic issue. It's not a flawed hull design that cannot be fixed which has occurred (not by Malibu)

Secondly, I never said he has to "keep restarting his engine". It's done this twice. And its not like MTC doesn't work, it works great, but on two occasions it has been unresponsive. Doesn't mean it wasn't tested nor that its even an issue at this point. I will say this, the system looks sweet. If I was in the market for a new one, I wouldn't hesitate for a second on the MTC even knowing what I do about my buddy's.

Its all good....

I am just a little surprised to see multiple posts on problems or "bugs" already. There are only "two" different users with the issues, but how many 2011 owners are on this site that have actually used there boats yet with MTC? As I mentioned earlier, I am hoping I do not experience any issues, for me this was the only "questionable" component on the boat. When I demo'd the boat I had no problems with the system, and really enjoyed using the MTC.

It would have been nice to see some posts of how great the system was working, rather than how it is not performing correctly and they have to take there boat back into the dealership.

Edited by Fman

Its all good....

I am just a little surprised to see multiple posts on problems or "bugs" already. There are only "two" different users with the issues, but how many 2011 owners are on this site that have actually used there boats yet with MTC? As I mentioned earlier, I am hoping I do not experience any issues, for me this was the only "questionable" component on the boat. When I demo'd the boat I had no problems with the system, and really enjoyed using the MTC.

It would have been nice to see some posts of how great the system was working, rather than how it is not performing correctly and they have to take there boat back into the dealership.

I took delivery of a 2011 Response LXi in early August and everything worked perfectly thru the fall! MTC never locked up and touch screen has been flawless. I am also 100% confident that if there had been an issue my dealer would have mad it right as fast as humanly possible. As a matter of fact, over the past 12 years and12 new Malibu's I have had some minor issues and it was always handled with the utmost profesinalism. As 85' said, we are talking about a high end hand built product that will never be perfect 100% of the time. The reason we purchase Malibu boats is simply the companies history of building a quality product and standing behind it better than their competition.

Its all good....

Well, that would be nice to see I guess, but what area on here is devoted to "my boat worked correctly"? In 2010 did people start threads and say "My key worked". Of course not, that's expected. Same here, IMHO.

Don't fret Fman, malibu is cranking boats out right now. There are a lot of people who have their 2011s. IF there is even an issue, which we haven't even yet established, it will get worked out. Quite frankly, TWO people with an issue seems LOW to me. Hardly a big enough sampling to justify criticizing Malibu for not testing properly. Malibu has been making these for 7-8 months and TWO people have had an issue, neither one of which was a "problem", they just turned it off and restarted. It's not that big of a deal.

Well, that would be nice to see I guess, but what area on here is devoted to "my boat worked correctly"? In 2010 did people start threads and say "My key worked". Of course not, that's expected. Same here, IMHO.

Don't fret Fman, malibu is cranking boats out right now. There are a lot of people who have their 2011s. IF there is even an issue, which we haven't even yet established, it will get worked out. Quite frankly, TWO people with an issue seems LOW to me. Hardly a big enough sampling to justify criticizing Malibu for not testing properly. Malibu has been making these for 7-8 months and TWO people have had an issue, neither one of which was a "problem", they just turned it off and restarted. It's not that big of a deal.

Touch crowd around these parts ;) I purchased a Malibu for the build quality, I am not criticiising Malibu, just making an observation from a new customers eyes. I am not anticipating any problems, and looking forward to hitting the water this year.

Thanks for your feedback.

To give everyone an update. I spoke with Danny, the head of Malibu's R&D this evening. He said the only problem he had with the MTC during the Big Test Phase was due to a low battery. Being a new boat, it would be strange to have a low battery, but it could happen. So, they went back and made sure that the screen would still function past the point of the batteries being capable of starting the motor. Danny has asked me to take the boat in for some testing at my dealership. I will keep you all posted.

Like I told him, I spent 5+ years looking at boats and I have always turned to Malibu. The quality of the boat and the customer service I witnessed are just a couple of things that drawn me to Malibu. They will stand behind their product and resolve the two reported issues to this point. I am not putting the product down in any way because if I would go back and do it over again, I would be in my same exact boat.

I took delivery of a 2011 Response LXi in early August and everything worked perfectly thru the fall! MTC never locked up and touch screen has been flawless. I am also 100% confident that if there had been an issue my dealer would have mad it right as fast as humanly possible. As a matter of fact, over the past 12 years and12 new Malibu's I have had some minor issues and it was always handled with the utmost profesinalism. As 85' said, we are talking about a high end hand built product that will never be perfect 100% of the time. The reason we purchase Malibu boats is simply the companies history of building a quality product and standing behind it better than their competition.

Thats great news, nice to see someone who has had good success with some hours on the water with MTC :clap:

Touch crowd around these parts ;) I purchased a Malibu for the build quality, I am not criticiising Malibu, just making an observation from a new customers eyes. I am not anticipating any problems, and looking forward to hitting the water this year.

Thanks for your feedback.

I just know from experience that they wouldn't have turned it out there if it wasn't thoroughly tested. The 2011s are incredible. You will love it. It will not be perfect. It will have a quirk or two. Don't let that scare you and enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Im having same issue on my new 2011 247. Frequent lock up of screen, lag on touching and also two times has not recognized start code. Its stuck at my dock right now and wont start. Have to call dealer tuesday when they open. Have had quite a few other issues as well. Not great. Give me a key!

Im having same issue on my new 2011 247. Frequent lock up of screen, lag on touching and also two times has not recognized start code. Its stuck at my dock right now and wont start. Have to call dealer tuesday when they open. Have had quite a few other issues as well. Not great. Give me a key!

11 hrs of use so far and one "lock up".... had to hit the main power and turn off boat and re-start the ignition/computer. Both the Maliview and MTC were completely froze up.... that is the only problem (knock on wood) I have had.... I like how the MTC works, but I am with you, give me a a key and toggle switches... there is just a lot of electronics which can fail at anytime. I wish they would have implemented a manual key/emergency back up in case your computer takes a dive and you can at least start the boat and make it back to the dock.

Edited by Fman