Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First lake trip 2011

TheHardWay

Well I have had it with the cabin fever. We had a nice weekend, so I summerized the boat today and then made a trip to the lake for a cruise. I wanted to try out the new boost box and depth sounder. Air temp was right around 60, and the water was 48....a little too cool for me to wakeboard. Everything worked fine. A great day to soak up some sun and drink some beers. We only saw two other boats on the 15,000 acre lake, and they were fishing boats. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that it is March in Colorado.... :rofl:

Can't wait for warmer weather!!!!!

IMAG0152.jpg

MalibuNation

Jealous ... the first couple of inches along the shore have melted ... sure it refroze over night. Looks like average or above average temps for the next 8 days so getting closer!

Well I have had it with the cabin fever. We had a nice weekend, so I summerized the boat today and then made a trip to the lake for a cruise. I wanted to try out the new boost box and depth sounder. Air temp was right around 60, and the water was 48....a little too cool for me to wakeboard. Everything worked fine. A great day to soak up some sun and drink some beers. We only saw two other boats on the 15,000 acre lake, and they were fishing boats. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that it is March in Colorado.... :rofl:

Can't wait for warmer weather!!!!!

Seth, I am jealous! XTI looking good! Mine is still 4 deep at the back of the warehouse...spring can't get here fast enough! They say almost 70 in Cincy on Thursday, but river is at 54 ft (flood staget 52 ft) and every body of water is a mess at this point.

My good friend Bill lives in Durango - what lake is that and is it close to town? Looks beautiful!

-- Mike

Seth, I am jealous! XTI looking good! Mine is still 4 deep at the back of the warehouse...spring can't get here fast enough! They say almost 70 in Cincy on Thursday, but river is at 54 ft (flood staget 52 ft) and every body of water is a mess at this point.

My good friend Bill lives in Durango - what lake is that and is it close to town? Looks beautiful!

-- Mike

Hey Mike! Do you usually go to the river? Which part? I typically put in near Ripley!

I heard about about the rivers flooding back there. My grandparents live on the Allegheny outside of Pittsburgh and they said it was right up to the high part of the bank this weekend. Better to get all that flooding crap out of the way now, before boating season starts. Driftwood and other floating debris is not a good thing to have to constantly worry about.

The lake in that picture is Navajo Reservoir. It is about a 30-35 minute drive outside of Durango, in Arboles, CO. The majority of the lake extends across the state line down into New Mexico. Does your buddy have a boat? Perhaps I have or will see him out and about this summer.

Hey Mike! Do you usually go to the river? Which part? I typically put in near Ripley!

We hit the river, usually early Saturday AM for ski runs. Since I am closer to Cincy, we usually put in @ Schmitt Field and ski up past the 275 bridge and RiverBend Pavillion.

I haven't made a trip up to Ripley/Higginsport in years - may have to do that this summer - the river is really beautiful up-river from the dam and typically less crowded. What are those islands call up in that area?

-- Mike

I heard about about the rivers flooding back there. My grandparents live on the Allegheny outside of Pittsburgh and they said it was right up to the high part of the bank this weekend. Better to get all that flooding crap out of the way now, before boating season starts. Driftwood and other floating debris is not a good thing to have to constantly worry about.

The lake in that picture is Navajo Reservoir. It is about a 30-35 minute drive outside of Durango, in Arboles, CO. The majority of the lake extends across the state line down into New Mexico. Does your buddy have a boat? Perhaps I have or will see him out and about this summer.

Looks like an awesome spot to go boating! My friend Bill does not have a boat but we drag him around when he's back in Ohio to visit! :-)

Hope CO stays warm so you don't have to winterize again!

Here is a pic of the Ohio River from last Friday (before it hit it's peak!) from Kellogg Ave by downtown Cincinnati. I liked the soccer sign as the fields are under 10 ft of water! You normally cannot see the river from this road so you get the idea of how much water we're talking about.

post-6437-034496400 1300453961_thumb.jpg

-- Mike

I hope it stays warm too. It was spittin' snow last night :(

Don't have to worry about winterizing again though...the 'bu has a nice home in a heated shop :rockon:

• 3 weeks later...

52 and no wet suit......ok, you win....it is 48 here in vancouver but I am wearing a wetsuit and buddies are wearing dry suits....so we bow down..........Wink.gifWink.gifWink.gif

Did a session today. The water was a balmy 52! Felt good to get out on the water. :yahoo:

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4206.jpg

Looks like an awesome spot to go boating! My friend Bill does not have a boat but we drag him around when he's back in Ohio to visit! :-)

Here is a pic of the Ohio River from last Friday (before it hit it's peak!) from Kellogg Ave by downtown Cincinnati. I liked the soccer sign as the fields are under 10 ft of water! You normally cannot see the river from this road so you get the idea of how much water we're talking about.

post-6437-034496400 1300453961_thumb.jpg

-- Mike

I was in Convington, KY that week on the other side of the river and was pretty surprised at the levels. This picture is far worse that what I saw though. Living in a flood plain myself, I'm sympathetic to anyone who has to deal with that.

52 and no wet suit......ok, you win....it is 48 here in vancouver but I am wearing a wetsuit and buddies are wearing dry suits....so we bow down..........Wink.gifWink.gifWink.gif

It took the right amount of Bud Light for me to get in lol.

It took the right amount of Bud Light for me to get in lol.

That's hard core, Seth, nice work! We used to do a water ski tournament in college at Purdue - first weekend in April in central Indiana. Can you say frequent snowflakes!? :-) I always stole a dry suit!

-- Mike