Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wax, buff, or rubbing compound

I'm new to the fiberglass maintenance game. I have owned a number of boats but never realy taken that good of care of the fiberglass. I just bought a used boat that is in quite good shape, but could use something to bring back the shine in the gelcoat. I'm not really sure what is required (ie. wax, buffing, rubbing compound) given that it is already in pretty good shape. Would someone chime in with thoughts? Thanks.

martinarcher

If it is in good shape and just needs a bit of shine brought back try a polishing/rubbing compound and a polishing wheel with light pressure. The gel coat is the same color all the way through so what you need to do it take the oxidation off while polishing the surface to bring that new boats shine back.

After you get the shine back the key to keeping it is a good coat of wax. Collinite's makes an excellent product for that. Both their Fiberglass Boat Wax (#925) and their Heavy Duty Paste Fleet Wax (#885) are excellent for keeping you boats finish looking great for years to come.

Thanks--does that mean clean it, then put the rubbing compound on with a polishing wheel, then put wax on? I don't really know how to do this. If anyone knows of a good post or video how to, it would be very helpful. Thanks.

If it is in good shape and just needs a bit of shine brought back try a polishing/rubbing compound and a polishing wheel with light pressure. The gel coat is the same color all the way through so what you need to do it take the oxidation off while polishing the surface to bring that new boats shine back.

After you get the shine back the key to keeping it is a good coat of wax. Collinite's makes an excellent product for that. Both their Fiberglass Boat Wax (#925) and their Heavy Duty Paste Fleet Wax (#885) are excellent for keeping you boats finish looking great for years to come.

Ok who makes a great wax for a Black boat, I know there are literally thousands of products that claim to be the best, You mentioned Colinits, Cant say I have heard of them, But looks like you have had good luck. My dealers Gelcoat Guy said just a good Carnauba wax is fine, Anyone else have a favorite??

Thanks--does that mean clean it, then put the rubbing compound on with a polishing wheel, then put wax on? I don't really know how to do this. If anyone knows of a good post or video how to, it would be very helpful. Thanks.

If the boat is in pretty good condition to start with, I don't think that I'd begin with rubbing compound.

Try 3 M Marine Finesse-It II with a Porter Cable 7424 random orbital polisher. With the Porter Cable, it is

almost impossible to do any harm, even for a novice. If you're not happy with the result after using Finesse-It

II, then you can consider something a little more aggressive.

Once you've got the look that you want, you'll then want to apply a good coat of carnauba wax, or, alternatively,

some Star-Brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF.

For more information, you might check out proper boat care.

Edited by srab
martinarcher

Ok who makes a great wax for a Black boat, I know there are literally thousands of products that claim to be the best, You mentioned Colinits, Cant say I have heard of them, But looks like you have had good luck. My dealers Gelcoat Guy said just a good Carnauba wax is fine, Anyone else have a favorite??

Collinite's does! I know a few crew members just bought new black boats in the last couple years and love Collinite's. I know skyskier and 06 both use it on their rides. I won't use anything else. I've seen how well it sheds water and my dad has used it since I was born on his daily driver. It is the reason the paint on that 26 year old truck still looks great. Thumbup.gif Give it a try - you'll love it.

• Like 1

quote name='martinarcher' timestamp='1300059704' post='443700']

Collinite's does! I know a few crew members just bought new black boats in the last couple years and love Collinite's. I know skyskier and 06 both use it on their rides. I won't use anything else. I've seen how well it sheds water and my dad has used it since I was born on his daily driver. It is the reason the paint on that 26 year old truck still looks great. Thumbup.gif Give it a try - you'll love it.

Came across this great article on wax VS Sealant, from another post, I had no idea...This is a very confusing debate.....Any thoughts? http://properboatcare.com/cawavsgelcos.html As you see, owning a Black Boat I need all the help I can Get...

This post has been edited by Wakesetter67: Today, 04:22 PM

Edited by Wakesetter67
martinarcher

Came across this great article on wax VS Sealant, from another post, I had no idea...This is a very confusing debate.....Any thoughts? http://properboatcar...wavsgelcos.html As you see, owning a Black Boat I need all the help I can Get...

This post has been edited by Wakesetter67: Today, 04:22 PM

Sounds like someone trying to sell a gel coat sealant. I bought some "snake oil" car sealant about 5 years ago supposedly used by the navy on their ships and was supposed to be 1000 times better than a good wax. It was also supposed to last over a year and still bead. It was all crap and marketing BS. A good coat of high quality wax twice a year is the best thing you can do for your boat or car IMO.

You can search under my name for a thread (I think it is about "Bow Stops") . . mid way through I post a picture of some fiberglass restoration I completed. In the heavy oxidized areas, I wet sanded with 1500 . . .

Good luck with your project.

Kevin

------

Here is an excerpt:

Here is what I used:

Cheap buffer from Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfre...sher-66615.html

In order:

Starbite hull cleaner

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0014488L4

Starbrite Color Restore w/PTEF

http://www.amazon.co...6YX9G1PT0J5NYWY

Meguiar's Oxidation Remover

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0000AY4YX

Meguiar's Swirl Remover

http://www.amazon.co...z/dp/B0014DKHQE

Meguiar's M6316 Flagship Premium Marine Wax

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0000AY60S

Also used a gelcoat repair kit for a 1" x 3/8" chip that was in the bow. Still finishing this repair.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0000AXTGZ

I've detailed my own cars (boats, trailers, motorhome) all of my life. I have tried the expensive products a few times and have not been impressed. For much of the last 30 years I have used the Liquid NuFinish combination cleaner/wax. It was once rated highly by Consumer Reports and it is readily available in Oregon at BiMart, WalMart, and so on. My rigs always look good.

My method is: frequent washing and waxing. I've bought a few used cars in my life and did not try to bring them up to speed with some radical buffing. Just wax them once every couple of weeks or so with Nu Finish and very shortly they looked like they had not been neglected. NuFinish has just a trace of " cleaner" in it so you will not wear through the paint. I have used the Meguiars and Zymol products and they are good. But at twice the price I did not find them twice as good.

I used the NuFinish on my boats, too. Right or wrong they look good.

I have recently switched (2007) to a product called " ICE " for maintenance. It is a liquid that is just a protectant that I apply with a clean cloth, then wipe off with a microfibre towel. The advantage is that I can do a car in 20 minutes after washing. It really brings out a " POP " to the finish. I just apply it frequently say every month or less to keep it sharp. Because car paints now have a clear coat over the color the rubbing compound is not needed like it was in 1964. I use ICE on my expensive cars and my old pickup and my really old boat.

Every year or two if you want your car perfect you can do the "clay bar " procedure to get the contaminants off the car. Not necessary with the boat.

That's my experience. Frequent "ICE" or NuFinish will have your rig looking sharp with a minimum of labor and expense. Frequency is the key.

I asked this same wax question last year, ended up buying a bunch of Collinte's. It is hands down the best wax I have ever come across.

That's what I have been coming up with in my searches. Did you use the Fleet wax paste Or the liquid?