Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Not winterized

Lakenut

Not for me. My Bu has been winterized for a month now. Cry.gif A friend of mine at work has a 19' IO with a Merc V-6. He came up to me the other day and asked if I thought that his boat would be ok that night. He hasn't winterized yet. The forecast called for a low in the low to mid 20s. We were probably below freezing for a good 10 hours and this isn't our first hard freeze. We have had 5+ nights right around 30 and probably 5-7 nights in the 25 -30 degree range with a few droping into the low 20s. Standing water in parking lots or ditches was frozen this morning. His boat sits outside and is covered.

What do you all think? Is that cold enough for long enough to do damage? Maybe I should do a poll. :) We will know the results here in a few days when he takes it in to be winterized. I am afraid he may be in for some bad news.

He might be ok, but it is too risky. I know I wouldn't risk it. What are the daytime highs? It does take time for all of the thermal mass to get cold enough to freeze solid and crack. It could be 25 all night, but if it's 55 all day it probably won't crack. I would think it would take several days straight of mid-20's to crack a block - pure speculation though.

I don't think I would experiment with this ...the temperature at which the catastrophic engine damage occurs is not something you really want to figure out.

I didn't see if it was out side, in a garage, or under a car port! If its in the garage he "should" be ok, but out side he may have a problem. If at the least the out drive may have a problem. If its under a car port, well then its a 50/50 shot.

I agree with Mike about putting the drop light in the eng area but I don't think that will help the OD.

Edited by D-GOOSE

It's borderline IMO for the engine, but the bigger risk is if he's got any water at all in the outdrive unit. If there is, that will freeze at those temps & he could ruin his outdrive in one shot.

EDIT: What D-Goose said about the garage is true too. Having it outside will be different than inside, but either way I'd be worried about the outdrive.

Edited by WakeGirl

I just drain the block. On the monsoon it's just two plugs and three hoses. The next day if you want to hit the lake it takes 10 to 15 minutes to hook it back up.

Edited by stusumm
Not a risk I'd take.  Put a light in it or drain the water from the block and outrive.

What's an outdrive?

Are you joking? Dontknow.gif

Well, just in case you're not...an outdrive is the part that hangs off of the back of the blender...er, Bayliner,...down into the water.

Yeah, the outdrive is the hard part. Draining it is no guarantee that you'll get all of the water out either (I stress this because I have firsthand experience with freezing one Mad.gif ). He could run antifreeze (rv type) through it, that would *probably* do the trick, but if he's got a leak in a seal & gotten water into the actual case, he'll need to drain the outdrive oil completely to be sure.

HI! New member, second post. An outdrive drains itself. The engine block and ex. manifold need to be drained though. I know people who do nothing to their motor for winter layup, and they never have a problem. Me? I always play it safe and do it the right way. I've had no major problems, but some minor ones over my years(40) of boating. Maybe its just luck. Wakegirl, I don't understand how you had a freezing problem w/ an outdrive, unless you had a draindown problem or your talking about the gear case. If it was a gearcase seal with water infiltration, you would of only found out the hard way next year anyway.

HI! New member, second post.   An outdrive drains itself.  The engine block and ex. manifold need to be drained though.  I know people who do nothing to their motor for winter layup, and they never have a problem.  Me? I always play it safe and do it the right way.  I've had no major problems, but some minor ones over my years(40) of boating.  Maybe its just luck.  Wakegirl, I don't understand how you had a freezing problem w/ an outdrive, unless you had a draindown problem or your talking about the gear case.  If it was a gearcase seal with water infiltration, you would of only found out the hard way next year anyway.

Yup, that was the problem, water in the case.

EDIT: Oh & welcome to the site. :)

Edited by WakeGirl

I had a bottle of water, half full, sitting on the bow of my boat in the garage and an identical bottle in my car outside during a spell of cold ~18-25 degree nights a few weeks ago. My garage is un insulated and detached. No drywall, even. The boat was winterized just in case. The bottle of water in the car outside froze, and the bottle in the garage was not even close to frozen. In fact, after weeks of cold weather the bottle in the garage is still liquid. My guess is that the garage floor acts as a giant heat sink, making the temp change much more moderate?

My dog's water is in the garage near the boat.  It doesn't freeze until the temp outside goes below 0..but then it's likely to freeze solid.

When the temp outside gets below 0... Shocking.gif ...it's time to move. Yes.gif

Excellent, Michael, and you're correct. Moving around makes you warm! Being from your climate, I didn't expect you'd have such an understanding of proper cold weather activities.

Tease2.gif

My dog's water is in the garage near the boat.  It doesn't freeze until the temp outside goes below 0..but then it's likely to freeze solid.

When the temp outside gets below 0... Shocking.gif ...it's time to move. Yes.gif

Excellent, Michael, and you're correct. Moving around makes you warm! Being from your climate, I didn't expect you'd have such an understanding of proper cold weather activities.

Tease2.gif

:lol:ROFL.gif

Only one thing I want to do when it's below zero and it's an indoor activity. Biggrin.gif

Got out today 48* water / 48* air, no other boats Yahoo.gif , it was outstanding. Our lake gets down to the mid to upper 30's and at its coldest the air is about the same during the day so we ski year round. Tongue.gif

Update-As I write this, the boat in need of winterization is in the parking lot here at work with an owner despratly trying to find a dealership that will winterize for him. Most dealers are closed on monday. Yesterday we saw a high of about 40 and right now it is 19. Today we will only hit the mid 30s with a high of 18 , wind, and snow in the forecast for tomorrow. The boat has still been outside the entire time.

I will update when the dealer gets his hands on the boat and winterizes. Kind of feel bad for the guy. I am worried that he has already had some damage. I would assume that hoses would be the first things to freeze? It makes me really glad that my baby is in the garage and all winterized.

Update-As I write this, the boat in need of winterization is in the parking lot here at work with an owner despratly trying to find a dealership that will winterize for him.  Most dealers are closed on monday.  Yesterday we saw a high of about 40 and right now it is 19.  Today we will only hit the mid 30s with a high of 18 , wind, and snow in the forecast for tomorrow.  The boat has still been outside the entire time.

I will update when the dealer gets his hands on the boat and winterizes.  Kind of feel bad for the guy.  I am worried that he has already had some damage.  I would assume that hoses would be the first things to freeze?  It makes me really glad that my baby is in the garage and all winterized.

He should get a long extention cord and place a work light in the engine compartment until it can be winterized, or just go out there and drain the water out. If your not sure which hoses to disconnect, do all of them, but definately drain the block. It isn't that hard to do it yourself and replacing the block isn't an option. Those temps can break it.

Edited by gooddog