Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how to change impellers

I have never changed an impeller. Can anyone point me to a good post that has pictures and instructions on how this is done. I understand it is easy, but I don't want to mess something up. The dealer wants $150 to change them. Thanks.

I have never changed an impeller. Can anyone point me to a good post that has pictures and instructions on how this is done. I understand it is easy, but I don't want to mess something up. The dealer wants $150 to change them. Thanks.

What engine do you have?

This will give you a step by step, very easy to follow. Just be sure not to overtighten the brass bolts, they will strip out very easily.

http://www.inboardonline.com/how-to/

It is the Indmar Monsoon 325 horsepower, I think. They haven't been changed in at least four years and the boat wasn't used at all last year. I was under the impression they should be changed every other year or so. Any thoughts? Thanks to all who responded.

I prefer to change mine every year. $30 part. Takes me like 5 minutes (and I have a v-drive). Then, I'll

keep the one I removed in a plastic baggie with some vaseline on the "blades." I just drop that into a

tool box, along with my impeller puller (well worth the investment, IMHO), and I'm prepared for a quick

on-the-water-change if the need ever arises.

By the way, my replacements don't come with extra screws. Just the impeller and the gasket, along with

a small tube of glycerin. Remember though, they are brass screws and they will break off if over-tightened.

They just need to be tightened slightly past snug. Once you're finished, you might just take a peek once

you're underway to make sure no water in leaking from the housing.

It is the Indmar Monsoon 325 horsepower, I think. They haven't been changed in at least four years and the boat wasn't used at all last year. I was under the impression they should be changed every other year or so. Any thoughts? Thanks to all who responded.

As others have mentioned, I would recommend to do it every year, its cheap insurance and you can keep the old one for a spare. The longer they stay in, the harder they are to remove. I have not done it on a VLX yet, my Supra had little room behind the engine and it was a PIA, but still only about a 30 minute job tops. I am hoping the VLX has a little more space to allow for easier removal.

Edited by Fman

I am hoping the VLX has a little more space to allow for easier removal.

If your VLX has that little "sitting area" built into the fiberglass on the top of the transom, I think you're in for a world of hate swapping the impeller. I heard that the factory built that feature in just to give the dealers the job of replacing the impeller, thinking that Joe DIY wouldn't want to deal with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just did mine last weekend. The impeller puller was useless, and I actually think I seized it up as I screwed it down to pull the impeller off. I ended up using a paint can opener and a screw dirver. One on each side, and the impeller slid right off.

Very little room, removed the side partition and the back partition (one screw), then laying on my side I was able to reach everything. Took less then an hour if you take out the 3 hours I messed with the impeller puller.

Good luck.

I prefer to change mine every year. $30 part. Takes me like 5 minutes (and I have a v-drive). Then, I'll

keep the one I removed in a plastic baggie with some vaseline on the "blades." I just drop that into a

tool box, along with my impeller puller (well worth the investment, IMHO), and I'm prepared for a quick

on-the-water-change if the need ever arises.

By the way, my replacements don't come with extra screws. Just the impeller and the gasket, along with

a small tube of glycerin. Remember though, they are brass screws and they will break off if over-tightened.

They just need to be tightened slightly past snug. Once you're finished, you might just take a peek once

you're underway to make sure no water in leaking from the housing.

I ordered one of these.. http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1244 and just incase I loose a screw a few extras http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1263

Edited by old skool malibu

Remove the top side engine cover by pulling the two quick release pins in the cover hinges. Then you can kneel on the swimstep & get both hands in there easily to remove the impeller. :rockon:

Never have needed a puller. Always used the paint can tools &/or a pair of needle nose pliers.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Remove the top side engine cover by pulling the two quick release pins in the cover hinges. Then you can kneel on the swimstep & get both hands in there easily to remove the impeller. :rockon:

Never have needed a puller. Always used the paint can tools &/or a pair of needle nose pliers.

And then you can do it from the back? On my boat the exhaust (04 vlx, same as your vride im guessing) is right about this area, there is clearance? Or do you remove the exhaust as well? (havent seen that anywhere).

And then you can do it from the back? On my boat the exhaust (04 vlx, same as your vride im guessing) is right about this area, there is clearance? Or do you remove the exhaust as well? (havent seen that anywhere).

Yep, my exhaust is right there too. But there is still room to do the job.

The biggest issue I had before my buddy Greg showed me this trick was that I had to lay on the side hatch & work one handed, or fight to get my other hand in there too. Greg figured it out on his 04 VLX, we did it on my 05 Vride, and since then he's done it on his 09 Vride.

The hinges have quick release pins. And you have to pull one end of the shocks (remove C clip). Will take you 2 minutes to try it yourself. Getting both hands in there comfortably made a big difference for us.

Yep, my exhaust is right there too. But there is still room to do the job.

The biggest issue I had before my buddy Greg showed me this trick was that I had to lay on the side hatch & work one handed, or fight to get my other hand in there too. Greg figured it out on his 04 VLX, we did it on my 05 Vride, and since then he's done it on his 09 Vride.

The hinges have quick release pins. And you have to pull one end of the shocks (remove C clip). Will take you 2 minutes to try it yourself. Getting both hands in there comfortably made a big difference for us.

Thanks for the advice Bill. Will attempt tonight or this weekend.

I watched the video and read the posts. First, I've only owned this boat a year. No overheating problems, just want to change the impellar for good measure.

Engine is 1995 Merc. 350. Pulley driven pump. My question is, I leave the pump in place, don't mess with pulley or anything, just unbolt from the back-side of the pump? I think that the two hoses are on a plate, that will give me access to the impellar?

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

I watched the video and read the posts. First, I've only owned this boat a year. No overheating problems, just want to change the impellar for good measure.

Engine is 1995 Merc. 350. Pulley driven pump. My question is, I leave the pump in place, don't mess with pulley or anything, just unbolt from the back-side of the pump? I think that the two hoses are on a plate, that will give me access to the impellar?

Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

Steve,

I think someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're on the right track. You should be able to leave the pump in place and remove the impeller from the back side.

Good luck!

Steve,

I think someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're on the right track. You should be able to leave the pump in place and remove the impeller from the back side.

Good luck!

You don't need to move the pump...just look for 4 screws that hold on a cover plate at the rear of the engine. Attached is a diagram showing the impeller housing cover.

post-6-016103300 1302651206_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this thread and looking at mine (350 MerC Tourny Ski) I think the way it is positioned I'd have to remove the pump.. Am I wrong? I was going to open it up and see if it needed replaced and decided against it because it didn't look like a 15 min job!

Not sure on your setup if you have to remove the pump or not, but I just did mine and the hardest part was removing the old impeller. I even bought the impeller puller and that was useless. I spent an hour trying to get that to work, and in the end I think it seized up as it could not pull the impeller out. I finally grabbed to paint can openers and pried it out in about 30 seconds. Moral of the story, save your money and get the paint can openers...

Good luck.

Not sure on your setup if you have to remove the pump or not, but I just did mine and the hardest part was removing the old impeller. I even bought the impeller puller and that was useless. I spent an hour trying to get that to work, and in the end I think it seized up as it could not pull the impeller out. I finally grabbed to paint can openers and pried it out in about 30 seconds. Moral of the story, save your money and get the paint can openers...

Good luck.

Great tip, thanks. I was just dreading how I was going to get that stupid thing out this weekend. I'll bet that a paint can opener would work well to clean the packing out of a stuffing box too.

I'll bet that a paint can opener would work well to clean the packing out of a stuffing box too.

Maybe, if you thin it out a bit on a grinder. I think their too wide to fit in there, especially for the 3rd layer. The HF picks are only like $6 & theres 4 of them to give you the right angle.

martinarcher

After reading this thread and looking at mine (350 MerC Tourny Ski) I think the way it is positioned I'd have to remove the pump.. Am I wrong? I was going to open it up and see if it needed replaced and decided against it because it didn't look like a 15 min job!

Yep, take the pulley off (4 bolts) and the pump comes off from the back. Then you can open it up and inspect. Here's a bunch of pics of when I put a new impeller in June of 09.

Skier Impeller Change

martinarcher

Good luck.

Nah, the old pumps opened up form both ends so pushing out the impeller is a piece of cake.