Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 LSV vs 2009 VLx wakes?

Night Rider

I currently have an '09 Wakesetter VLX and am interested in a 2011 Wakesetter 23' LSV and am wondering what are the differences in wake characteristics between the two for both wake surfing and wake boarding.

Edited by Night Rider

The lsv has a way better surf wake when you get it dialed in. The Wakeworld wake is wider though so you'll have to shorten up the line if you want a little narrower wake, the Wakeworld wake on the lsv is big and meaty though. Vlx is a great boat as well. If you want EVERYTHING bigger go with the lsv.

The lsv has a way better surf wake when you get it dialed in. The Wakeworld wake is wider though so you'll have to shorten up the line if you want a little narrower wake, the Wakeworld wake on the lsv is big and meaty though. Vlx is a great boat as well. If you want EVERYTHING bigger go with the lsv.

Nice recovery, I m sure you don't want to hurt Us VLX Owners Feelings...LOL

Nice recovery, I m sure you don't want to hurt Us VLX Owners Feelings...LOL

Man you should read some of the awesome things I said about it in the review liljohn and I did for Bakes and Malibu. LSV is just a bigger toy that's all :thumbup: .

Man you should read some of the awesome things I said about it in the review liljohn and I did for Bakes and Malibu. LSV is just a bigger toy that's all :thumbup: .

http://www.themalibu...-review-w-pics/

Ok You should write for some wakeboard Mag...I feel better, Cant wait to hear your system...Big Big Big Everything is Big. Big boat, Big Wake, Big Stereo...and if we get a chance to use our boats..Big Gas Bill....

Could be mistaken, but dont they tow all the wakeboarding events with the VLX? This is the flagship boat of the entire Malibu line. I have heard by many you can achieve a very nice wakesurfing wake with the VLX when properly weighted. I have been wakeboarding behing the LSV and I thought the wake was very nice, but it is wider. Guess it all depends on what you are after.

Could be mistaken, but dont they tow all the wakeboarding events with the VLX? This is the flagship boat of the entire Malibu line. I have heard by many you can achieve a very nice wakesurfing wake with the VLX when properly weighted. I have been wakeboarding behing the LSV and I thought the wake was very nice, but it is wider. Guess it all depends on what you are after.

Did I say you couldn't get a big wake out of a VLX? Don't take my comments as a dig on the VLX, I owned one if you didn't know already. But it is smaller in every way than the 23 LSV, and so on up the line. I've heard it's the flagship as well, my guess because they sell more of them than the other boats in the lineup.

By the way every wakeboard comp that I've been to personally has been towed by the 23 LSV, admittedly that hasn't been many of them.

Thanks all. Guess i have been over weighting the surf wake. for wake boarding i am not even good enough to utilise the VLX wake. i have moved to the DC area and was looking to upgrade to a salt watter package. this made the LSV with the 550 HP & closed loop cooling look apealing. I was looking for a larger surf wake but not a wider wakeboarding wake. I am a blind rider and am working on the basics when it comes to wake boarding. Traditionally, how long does Malibu stay with a hul design?

Thanks all. Guess i have been over weighting the surf wake. for wake boarding i am not even good enough to utilise the VLX wake. i have moved to the DC area and was looking to upgrade to a salt watter package. this made the LSV with the 550 HP & closed loop cooling look apealing. I was looking for a larger surf wake but not a wider wakeboarding wake. I am a blind rider and am working on the basics when it comes to wake boarding. Traditionally, how long does Malibu stay with a hul design?

If you look at the track record of hull design it looks like about 3 years for most of the Wakesetter series.

Would it be safe to say that a NEW 23 LSV is in the pipeline for 2012?

I have no idea :unsure: . They made some pretty significant changes in 08' to the hull, might want to wait until then to find out. You have a pretty sick boat now, not sure I'd change it up. You can put a closed cooling system on that one if you wanted to.

Did I say you couldn't get a big wake out of a VLX? Don't take my comments as a dig on the VLX, I owned one if you didn't know already. But it is smaller in every way than the 23 LSV, and so on up the line. I've heard it's the flagship as well, my guess because they sell more of them than the other boats in the lineup.

By the way every wakeboard comp that I've been to personally has been towed by the 23 LSV, admittedly that hasn't been many of them.

When I ordered my VLX I was suprised this was the "flagship" boat, I would have though the LSV would have been it because as you mentioned the size and added weight of the boat. Typically with all boat makers, the "flagship" boat towes all the competition events. Example, MC uses the X-Star, Supra uses the Launch 242, etc... I have seen some pictures of events being towed with the VLX, but I am not someone who attends a lot of competitions. Personally nobody who rides with us is good enough to need more wake than a VLX can throw out.

Guess it depends on what you are after.... either way both are very nice options.

I suspect for many of us the size of the boat is a bigger consideration than some differences in the wake. For me the VTX would have been the perfect boat from a wake standpoint as I suspect it is the best crossover boat available with the diamond hull. But for us we were finding we needed more room than our 20ish foot Centurion. Really looking forward to the 23' LSV. For us the space in the boat was just a bit more important than the space behind the boat.

For many people the choice between the VTX, VLX and LSV will be based more on the sized of the crew you will have as you will get a great wake with any of them.