Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

owners with dark grey interiors, please come in.

scott_fx

Hey forum,

so i make the final plunge on my interior project on saturday and I'm looking toward the darker gray vinyl.

something like this:

malibu-wakesetter-vlx-600x412.jpg

or a bit lighter like this:

malibu-wakesetter-247-lsv-wakesurf-ballast.jpg

for those of you that have dark interiors, would you do it again?

Depends on where you live & use the boat. It gets hotter than Hades on a 100 degree day.

My brother had his entire interior redone in a lighter color. Partially because of how hot it was, and partly because of the adhesive problem he was experiencing (which wasn't unusual in 2003 - 2005).

im in socal and it actually doesn't get all that hot when we go out (we hit the water by 7am and usually leave before 2pm) there are a couple weekend long trips where we go to hades... lake mojave where it'll but 100+ degrees.

I think where you live it is just fine. It looks way sharp.

I live where summertime temps are usually 105+ and the sun is ALWAYS shining. I am interested in a boat with a dark interior...and keep having the same question you have. My last boat had large swaths of dark interior and on the ramp (where there is no water) you could not touch the dark vinyl without feeling scalded. The only redeeming thing is there is usually no shortage of towels or water around a boat.

Temperature is surprisingly not the critical factor, sunshine is. If you are in an area with a lot of direct sunshine, the interior will be very warm, if not, probably okay. Since a boat tends to be used in sunny conditions, I personally would shy away from dark colored interiors. My experience with dark colors on other boats is not positive, but they do look nice.

I have light grey, dark grey, and black inside my Vride, no white vinyl at all. I went with those colors because the exterior of the boat also is black and grey. It looks awesome, but on those sunny days, you dont want to jump in without a towel down on the seats!! Especialy if you kids jumping in and out. You wont make the mistake of jumping in very often without a towel. And 9 times out of 10 you will be wet anyway, so not a big deal if it is scorching. Its worth it in my opinion.

You must boat in san diego or in the LB marina because every other lake in socal gets blistering hot in the summer time. I have a light gray interior (had white on my last boat) and this one is noticeably hotter. The dark gray interior looks awesome. But there is no way I would go darker then what I have now. I don't think I could stand sitting on the seats.

We've got mostly dark interior and we really like it. My wife picked the colors (at the dealership). Water is always cold where we live, it barely gets to mid 70s in August. I can see opting for lighter colors where it's always sunny and hot. Our previous boat had an all white interior though, and it took a lot of work to keep it clean.

Oh yea - you should be good at Castaic. When you head east, be prepared to bring a lot of towels to cover the vinyl. We spend a lot of time on the river in needles and we have to be careful when kids are in the boat because the gray parts get so hot.

You can somewhat see the color on the sunpad in this pic:

http://www.wakeworld.com/uploads_user/153000/152320/10285.jpg

Temperature is surprisingly not the critical factor, sunshine is. If you are in an area with a lot of direct sunshine, the interior will be very warm, if not, probably okay. Since a boat tends to be used in sunny conditions, I personally would shy away from dark colored interiors. My experience with dark colors on other boats is not positive, but they do look nice.

:plus1: Had a dark green interior on my last boat. We all burnt ourselves multiple times, kids included. I would stay away from the darker colors.

This is the interior of my boat. Never again! It takes little heat and sun to make the interior an inferno.

This is the interior of my boat. Never again! It takes little heat and sun to make the interior an inferno. post-23-049946700 1299870816_thumb.jpg

im pretty shocked. i never thought about some of these colors as being 'dark'. I really dont want all white again (its a pain to keep clean and it's kind of boring). I think i may go with a light gray instead of the darker one (as a compromise) and just try to be careful.

thanks for the input

I have an 07 Silver Edition VLX which is an all white interior with some silver and some grey like the above. I live in NC and the white is good year round, but the grey sections will get your attention QUICK from May to August.

I am astonished at the replies on this thread.

If most of the people who have a grey or dark interior, hate it, why do 90% of all the boats made have it? I think it is because on the showroom floor, it looks better.

I am astonished at the replies on this thread.

If most of the people who have a grey or dark interior, hate it, why do 90% of all the boats made have it? I think it is because on the showroom floor, it looks better.

Yea, I think your pretty close to being right. It's not just the dark colors, but the contrasting panels, some dark, some light, etc. Mine is predominantly white with some light grey, black & blue panels. The darker panels are on the seat backs, the light grey & white on the bottoms. I think thats about the coolest & best looking idea. We still use towels over the seats if it's really hot & sunny. Any darker panels, especially on the seat bottoms, and I don't think it would be very comfortable very often.

I guess I'll go against the grain here, but I like the look of the dark gray vinyl and do have it on my boat. Yes on days that its 114° it gets too hot to walk sit on but that's mainly only the rear doors and the bow. With an extended biminy the cabin area really isn't a problem. White interior will stay cooler but it also shows dirt/grime much more, so it's a trade off, but I wouldn't be afraid to get dark gray interior on portions of the design but not all.

thanks everyone for all your input. I ended up going with a white/gray combo and I think it's a bit darker then moonbeam but not as dark as the first pic i posted. I did go a bit darker on the accents since it is just an accent.