Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunbrella Cover

Big-K

Hey spring is coming up as you all probaly know, we are thinking of a new cover and sunbrells comes highly recomended by many people. I am looking for options and opinions for materials. Also the stern is always facing the sun and i have saw a few people having the covers extend all the way down over the swin grid to help prevent some oxidization. The cover we have now works well for towing because it has the ratchet strap at the back. We would like to keep the same fastening system but extend down over the back of the swim grid. The boat will be on a lift so we be able to get access to the underside and back of the grid no problem.

If anyone can shed some light it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a ton!

Kirk

I have the same situation you have. Stern of the boat gets hit by the sun pretty hard.

I bought a sunbrella cover, through iboats, that came from Great lakes. I know they were the OEM supplier at one point in time. I chose them mostly because they made one that covered the platform. And I am on a lift so I didn't need a 'towing' cover.

I brought it to my local shop to have them change it to a side tie, so I can snug it up from the dock instead of the stern. I couldn't be happier with my setup.

Ditto on using the Sunbrella. I'm recovering an awning on the front of our house soon. And using Sunbrella because the old stuff barely lasted 5 yrs.

I'd bring your cover in to a local shop. And ask them to setup some kind of additional piece for the stern. Maybe it would zip into place? Or Velcro? Bring them any pictures you can find of similar covers.

BTW, the ratcheting devices can be dangerous, especially while towing. If for any reason you don't get that ratchet snugged down good, the wind from driving down the road can beat the crap out of your boat. And it should alwaysalwaysalways be covered with some sort of pad so it doesn't wear into the fiberglass or the cover itself.

Evolution (and formerly Rankin) does not use these ratchets on their towable covers because of these issues.