Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2011 VLX Inboat speakers

Fman

How are the stock inboat Fosgate speakers that come with the boat? Are they decent? I know Fosgate makes good equipment and figured these would be good enough to get me going. I am adding a (2) Pro 80's to the tower, 2 arc audio amps, 12" wetsounds sub, ws-420, and HSE to the boat. I was just going to plan on using the stock (8) inboat speakers that come with the boat.

I am almost 40 years old and dont need anything crazy loud, just want a clean sounding system. On my Supra I usually muted down the inboat speakers while people were riding because it got to loud in the boat. The Supra only had (6) inboat speakers and the VLX has (8).

Do you think these will work with ok with my setup?

Edited by Fman

They are are actually pretty good. If the boat is coming with them you owe it to yourself to at least see for yourself. If you don't like them I'm sure Ben would be more than happy to swap them out for a speaker of your choice, that is the easy part.

Pretty happy with mine but I use them more of less for fill as you said it can get loud in the boat when the towers are cranked. I would keep them, plus they do have a nice look to them it that matters at all to you.

With 8 of them and a decent amp behind them most people should be satisfied. If you're ordering the boat and don't mind installing on your own you can definitely save a little cash and get better speakers by going aftermarket. Also, not sure if you were aware of this, but Malibu has an auto volume feature built into the factory system so you might not need the HSE.

Those RF speakers will do the job. If you are really interested in upgrading the speakers and you bought all that equipment from the dealer - you could always try to negotiate a deal on the speakers.

Who knows - you may be able to get the for a price that is too good to pass up!

Thanks for the feedback, I am having a stereo shop install the system, not the factory. Sounds like the Fosgate speakers will be more than enough for me. As far the HSE, I took it out of my Supra, it worked awesome.... not sure what the story is with the Malibu sound control system. Does it work like the HSE? I am pretty sure with the WS-420 EQ, I am not going to be using the head unit for probably anything other than the radio. The HSE routes through the WS-420, not sure if I will be able to use the Malibu sound control???

Thanks for the feedback, I am having a stereo shop install the system, not the factory. Sounds like the Fosgate speakers will be more than enough for me. As far the HSE, I took it out of my Supra, it worked awesome.... not sure what the story is with the Malibu sound control system. Does it work like the HSE? I am pretty sure with the WS-420 EQ, I am not going to be using the head unit for probably anything other than the radio. The HSE routes through the WS-420, not sure if I will be able to use the Malibu sound control???

The malibu speed senstive volume control does not work as good as the HSE, but only because the value of the adjustment up and down is not enough. Apparently the people that make the unit aren't smart enough to figure that a 9 (on max setting) click adjustment when there is a max of 45 isn't enough to make a large volume difference. What it does do it does very well though, very smooth.

To use the malibu speed control the black box will be the master volume control for your system. If you are using the HSE it doesn't matter. You can turn the malibu speed sensitive volume control off and use the HSE by itself to control the system volume. That is what I'm doing.

• 2 months later...

You should be good with that set up. I am running the stock Rockford's in an 07' combo'd with 2-pro80's the wetsounds xxx sub and the ws-420. The 420 is the ticket because it allows you to adjust with the various, sub, in-boat and tower speaker volumes independently depending on the situation. I love my set up...

I am considering adding the MB-8's to the tower as well only because at riding distance the pro-80's throw off a ton of highs but are somewhat slightly weaker on the base line. Wetsounds developed a new tower speaker this year that actually fit a 10 woofer and horn into the old pro 80 housing. They do not have them up on their website yet but you can order them. If you haven't bout your pro 80's yet i would hold out a couple months and get their new set up. I think they cost $200 more but their performance is supposed to be much better then the already very good pro80. I bought mine last year and wish I could get the new ones instead.

• 2 weeks later...

thats gonna be a good set up! I put a very similar set up in my boat. I put DBG concepts tower speakers instead of the wet sounds (they are loud but too tinny for my taste) That arc amp is bad a$$ and will make your RF's wail. I wouldnt do a set up with out the 420 - having the ability to change the tower and in boat volume independently is huge. And I am currently running hte factory volume control, but had HSE on my last boat and will probably switch to that (although with the factory setting its not bad.