Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whats your favorite WaterSport?

Moufoo

What is your favorite watersport to participate in?  

341 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite watersport to participate in?

• Wakeboarding
    • Wakeskating
    • Wakesurfing
    • Slalom Skiing
    • 2 Ski's
    • Air Chair/Hydrofoiling
    • Kneeboarding
    • Barefooting

I voted for wakeboarding(Just for the record I'm not a long hair,drug using, loud music type guy). I would like to give ski skiing a go some day just need to find some one that has one and is willing to give some pointers.

If you could make it to the Texas, NorCal, or NW Wow we could hook you up with the Sky Ski, the coaching on the other hand might be suspect. Surprised.gif

Joe

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moufoo

• VinRLX

• jetskipro550

• Malibudude

I voted for wakeboarding(Just for the record I'm not a long hair,drug using, loud music type guy). I would like to give ski skiing a go some day just need to find some one that has one and is willing to give some pointers.

If you could make it to the Texas, NorCal, or NW Wow we could hook you up with the Sky Ski, the coaching on the other hand might be suspect. Surprised.gif

Joe

Thanks for the offer. I'm sure the coaching wouldn't be the problem.

Kite boarding is my favorite...No Boat or Observer needed...just a bit of wind and a body of water. In the winter just a bit of snow and an open field.

Probably would be fun while riding... I used to love windsurfing, just a blast to be powered by the wind.

Ultimatly though, I couldn't stand it, since everytime I was taking a break, or hangin with my buddies, the conditions always suck for chillin. Nothing more relaxing than sitting on a windy beach while trying to manage your sails Crazy.gif

I prefer the boat sports - much more relaxing, and family oriented

Wakeboarding for me hands down, but I'm willing to try slalom sking. Looks like fun! See how low I can get. I can drag knee on the bike, I wonder if I can drag elbow in the water.

I voted for slalom.

My absolute choice for second would have been flying the HobieCat. (Catamaran Sailing). Kind of a forgotten sport. All of the other listed "sports" on this poll (I also don't consider tubing a sport) are solo events. The big reason I like the Hobie (vs all the others) is that it offers a chance to get out on the trapeze with a sailing partner and you're working as a team blasting across the water. It's a rush. Enjoying it with someone else at the same time offers an entire new element to the marine adventure.

It's free (no gas), you don't need calm water, you don't need a ski-course, other boats' waves don't bother you, and other boats are "supposed' to give right of way to non-powered craft. Don't need any tunes...... just listening to the wind rush past the halyards, and the sound of the wind past the sails, etc etc. A fast catamaran can do almost 25+ mph Get it up on 1 hull and balanced properly, hanging over the edge.... looking down 8 feet or so at the water rushing past, it's a rush. You get the picture. Too bad it's been forgotten.

Hobie Alter (the inventor of the HobieCat) was the Herb O'Brien of the 70's.

....anyhow, it's my second choice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3-Event skiing is the pick. Me, I drive but my boys are soaking it all up and Ali has just run his 52 k/mh pass (32mph). Jump is around 14m and tricks 390 and climbing.

Our lake is one of five sites in the country where we can ski 3-Events and it REALLY GRATES when boat loads of "riders" turn up for the day to completely shag our site!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, a little surprised at the high number of slalom numbers. I figured wakeboard would be highest because everyone knows that slalom is a dying sport, you know, sort of like Latin, people remember it but nobody uses it. Tongue.gif

Not surprised at the Zero response from kneeboard, those things are Bad on a Good day!

I still believe that Barefoot is the number 1 Rush!! Yahoo.gif People talk about getting hurt footing, and I agree you Must be careful and progress slowly (and use shoe skis) but I have been hurt the worst on a tube!!

I voted for kneeboarding and I see at least one other person did. Come on up north to Minnesota Texasguy and go out kneeboarding with us, I think you will be amazed at how much fun it can be. Rockon.gif Chek out the video of a few MN riders Whitewash kneeboarding video

Edited by hbrew
  • 1 month later...

Great Video HBrew. I tow kneeboarders in the afternoon when the lake is choppy. They're a great way to introduce kids to skiing/boarding. You got me wondering, what's the best kneeboard for competent riders? We have an OBrien AirAgeous which the kids are always asking to upgrade.

Funny how only around 38% (at the time of this post) of people require large wakes for their favorite sport (WakeBoard/skate/surf and kneeboard) yet 14 out of 19 (75%) 2006 BU models are Wake oriented. I think this clearly shows that Malibu must concentrate more on there performance series for 2007 in my opinion... and bring back the Sportster and maybe a closed bow RLXi! Yahoo.gif And for my favorite sport, I think my avatar kind of speaks for itself...

Edited by 1FootDan

Racing jetskis on a closed course is the best. I raced MX professionally until 1985 then got in to jetski racing. Used to practice at Cabrillo Beach (San Pedro) with some good dedicated racers (helmets mandatory). Also jetski wave or wakejumping is a great rush! Not behind a little ski boat wake jump. We would follow the cargo and cruise ships leaving LA Harbor, Drop in and go big! Cracked more than a couple hulls even with all the reinfoced bracing. Started using Sea Doos because they were faster and would not crack as easy. Used to go wave jumping in Encinitas by the Chart house too quite a bit.

I get bored water skiing about 15 seconds in to the pull. Get more of a rush with Wakeboarding. My kids like the tube so it is at the top of the families list. Fun to see the diversity of choices with everyone! KC

Great Video HBrew. I tow kneeboarders in the afternoon when the lake is choppy. They're a great way to introduce kids to skiing/boarding. You got me wondering, what's the best kneeboard for competent riders? We have an O’Brien AirAgeous which the kids are always asking to upgrade.

Not in any order:

HO:

Joker

Striker

O’Brien:

Rush 5150

Lowrider

Hydroslide:

KAOS

They are all great boards; it's mainly a matter of personal preference. The Rush is the newest board; it was just released this year. It is supposed to be a great board. The only word of caution on this board is O’Brien had a problem with the pad and strap on this board. The straps were too short, but I think that has been fixed. The pad is easy to check just kneel in the board; your shins should have good contact with the pad all the way to your knees.

If you are in the Minneapolis – St. Paul, MN area I can set you up with a test ride on all of these boards.

Liv'n the Dream Biggrin.gif

Racing jetskis on a closed course is the best. I raced MX professionally until 1985 then got in to jetski racing. Used to practice at Cabrillo Beach (San Pedro) with some good dedicated racers (helmets mandatory). Also jetski wave or wakejumping is a great rush! Not behind a little ski boat wake jump. We would follow the cargo and cruise ships leaving LA Harbor, Drop in and go big! Cracked more than a couple hulls even with all the reinfoced bracing. Started using Sea Doos because they were faster and would not crack as easy. Used to go wave jumping in Encinitas by the Chart house too quite a bit.

I get bored water skiing about 15 seconds in to the pull. Get more of a rush with Wakeboarding. My kids like the tube so it is at the top of the families list. Fun to see the diversity of choices with everyone! KC

I grew up in the 80's chasing 30-50' cruisers at Lake of the Ozarks (Midwest) on my Kawasaki 550 standup jetski. Wakeboarding wasn't around back then although the skurfer was just about to appear! I skied behind my dad's bass boat with the 200hp black max on occassion but also got very board very quickly. Wakeboarding was a natural progression from my wake jumping and skateboarding days. I'll see if I can dig up a pic my buddy took just this last weekend.... hang on....

• 2 years later...

Very surprised in this poll, a 1 1/2 ago I would have said slalom hands down. Now it's (70% boarding) (30% slalom), but after last weekend on the ski I can tell it's time to get back on more than I have lately.

But I still voted for boarding :)

Very surprised in this poll, a 1 1/2 ago I would have said slalom hands down. Now it's (70% boarding) (30% slalom), but after last weekend on the ski I can tell it's time to get back on more than I have lately.

I heard you stated it's time for a vdrive.... Tease.gif

I heard you stated it's time for a vdrive.... Tease.gif

Very close Whistling.gif

Very surprised in this poll, a 1 1/2 ago I would have said slalom hands down. Now it's (70% boarding) (30% slalom)...

Ya, once you get out shape, a little soft around the middle, not to mention too lazy for real athletic endeavors,...you'll find yourself slipping towards the darkness. Right Justin? Whistling.gif

Just watch out for those crashes. Shocking.gif I blew my knee apart a few years ago and apparently a wakeboard crash beat the snot out of Joe just recently.

Come back to the light. :)

Edited by NorCaliBu
Very surprised in this poll, a 1 1/2 ago I would have said slalom hands down. Now it's (70% boarding) (30% slalom)...

Ya, once you get out shape, a little soft around the middle, not to mention too lazy for real athletic endeavors,...you'll find yourself slipping towards the darkness. Right Justin? Whistling.gif

Just watch out for those crashes. Shocking.gif I blew my knee apart a few years ago and apparently a wakeboard crash beat the snot out of Joe just recently.

Come back to the light. :)

It's just a little faze I'm going through right now but my ski addiction came back after the WOW. It will turn 50/50 from here on, now I have to get in shape for all that water time Whistling.gif My quads where much more sore than I thought when I skied at Oroville, normally my lower back is what gives out first so I'm not sure if my lower back is stronger from all the boarding wrecks or that skiing really works your quads that much more than boarding. Once you get used to getting a little air the impact from hitting the wake is much harder than I ever though on your upper and lower body, so just getting behind the boat and riding on the board is easy but actually riding switch and working on tricks that challenge you is much more work. I actually have had some really good work outs boarding, but I know that the real strength is on the skinny stick.

• 4 weeks later...

That's because Edwin keeps logging off and clearing his cookies and re-votin'. Cheatin' skiers...

Clearing your cookies won't allow you to vote again.....

Will tossing them? Maybe from too much "butter water"?