Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Did I miss anything ? Spring Service

Pulled the boat out of the garage yesterday and started my spring service, going to Havasu for spring break in less than a month. So here is what I have done so far, if you have any tips or see something I missed it would be appreciated, if you could point that out.

Boat is 2007 VTX with Monsoon 340 w/ 169.5 hours on it, I put 55 hours on it last season.

Changed the oil and filter (Pennzoil 15w-40w Long Life Gold & Napa Gold 1069 filter)

Changed the Trans & V-drive (Pennzoil ATF)

Changed the impeller & gasket

Siphoned about 10 gallons of old left over gas into my commuter car and dropped 20g 91 octane in tank for clean fuel during service.

Aired up tires to 50psi

Charge battery once a month during winter

general inspecting, prop, rudder/steering spin freely (no signs of leaks corrosion or anything out of order)

Tomorrow

I was going to put a couple of pumps of marine grease into the 2 rudder zerks

clean carpet & interior

wax

This site was a great resource to help with my first service. I am more of a DIY person than a drop $600 to the dealer. With the money I saved I can now afford to help support the oil companies by putting gas in the truck and boat.

Thanks

Doug

Trailer hubs/bearing buddies? Grease. If you are anal jack up each trailer tire and grab the whole tire and check for play in the bearings. Shouldn't be any.

Was the boat winterized? If so, I'd make sure all the hoses are hooked back up...... water pump, exhaust, heater, shower, etc.

Might be worth a trial run in a local lake when you have a little time to kill before the vacation. That way you can nail down any surprises when you have time, rather than when your dropping into Havasu for the first time.

eyepeeler

Trailer is Extreme brand with oil filled hubs. I have never had that type on any trailer I have ever owned, Not sure if there is any annual service needed.... I would bet nothing has ever been done to them... but I have no clue on what would be required.

Billy

Nope not winterized.... live in Sunny SoCal, so it was not needed.

Thanks for the replies

Pulled the boat out of the garage yesterday and started my spring service, going to Havasu for spring break in less than a month. So here is what I have done so far, if you have any tips or see something I missed it would be appreciated, if you could point that out.

Boat is 2007 VTX with Monsoon 340 w/ 169.5 hours on it, I put 55 hours on it last season.

Changed the oil and filter (Pennzoil 15w-40w Long Life Gold & Napa Gold 1069 filter)

Changed the Trans & V-drive (Pennzoil ATF)

Changed the impeller & gasket

Siphoned about 10 gallons of old left over gas into my commuter car and dropped 20g 91 octane in tank for clean fuel during service.

Aired up tires to 50psi

Charge battery once a month during winter

general inspecting, prop, rudder/steering spin freely (no signs of leaks corrosion or anything out of order)

Tomorrow

I was going to put a couple of pumps of marine grease into the 2 rudder zerks

clean carpet & interior

wax

This site was a great resource to help with my first service. I am more of a DIY person than a drop $600 to the dealer. With the money I saved I can now afford to help support the oil companies by putting gas in the truck and boat.

Thanks

Doug

Havasu Wow I used to go there allot back in the day, my Dad lived there. Copper Canyon still the rage?? That place was unbelievable, I remember tying up with Motocross racer Jeremy McGrath. He allways had a boat full of ladies, That was a wild place!!!

Doug,

You never should have laid-up the boat with old, un-stabiled fuel in it.

Aside from that, you sound like you know what you're doing. One suggestion though, when you're pumping only two pumps of marine grade trailer bearing grease into the zerks of the rudder, have someone turning the wheel lock-to-lock while you're doing that.

Doug,

You never should have laid-up the boat with old, un-stabiled fuel in it.

Aside from that, you sound like you know what you're doing. One suggestion though, when you're pumping only two pumps of marine grade trailer bearing grease into the zerks of the rudder, have someone turning the wheel lock-to-lock while you're doing that.

To add to Pete's thoughts, change the fluids before an extended lay up rather than after. There is some nasty stuff is used oil you don't want sitting in your engine for long periods of time.

Should also fog engine if you are going to be laying the boat up. You don't want the rings to stick when getting it out. You may want to pull the plugs and squirt some fogging oil in the cylinders before you turn it over for the first time to help lube it up since you didn't fog. Maybe even give it some time to loosen stuff up before turning it over.

I'd head out to your boat with a screwdriver and wrench... tighten down every bolt/screw you can find. I do this once a year and it's amazing how lose some of the screws get. I check the tower bolts twice a year just in case

To add to Pete's thoughts, change the fluids before an extended lay up rather than after. There is some nasty stuff is used oil you don't want sitting in your engine for long periods of time.

:plus1: Make changing the fluids and engine fogging part of putting it away.. That is also when I wax mine, Sounds like you have it ready for use.

Have fun