Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil leaking from hubs

I have replaced the inside seals on my extreme trailer. A few hours after reassembling them, i noticed some oil pooling just below the window on the chrome ring. I wiped them and they reappeared. 3 of the 4 are doing that. Has anyone experienced this problem or have replaced the outer portion of the bearing assembly? Does not waiting to let the wheels/bearings cool before launching the boat in the water ruin the outer seals? I was told by a malibu mechanic that the outer portions of the bearing assembly never go bad and that the inner are the ones that typically need to be replaced.

Remove the allen bolt on the resevior on the hub and put some thread lock on it (blue) and tighten them back up. Pretty common issue.

Edited by 06vlx

Remove the allen bolt on the resevior on the hub and put some thread lock on it (blue) and tighten them back up. Pretty common issue.

I put plenty of rtv sealent on the threads and rear seals. The allen nut is still in upright position and it is leaking at a slow rate.

Did you get the outside portion (bearing buddy) evenly pounded all the way back in and seated? You sure the o-rings, spring, retaining clip, sight glass, etc are all installed...properly?

Did you get the outside portion (bearing buddy) evenly pounded all the way back in and seated? You sure the o-rings, spring, retaining clip, sight glass, etc are all installed...properly?

There are not any bearing buddies on an oil bath setup. Grease only

I think the part you are referring to is the "oil cap"

If it is not leaking from the allen head then you may have fudged a seal when rienstalling. The only way you are going to find out is to pull it all apart and go back with new seals.

Edited by Murphy8166

If it is not leaking from the allen head then you may have fudged a seal when rienstalling. The only way you are going to find out is to pull it all apart and go back with new seals.

Drain the oil, knock the protector off, and replace it with a new one. You can ask for part # 07501 for a 5 lug wheel. Waymire Dist 1-800-434-4824 or www.waymires.com on the web.

I have replaced the inside seals on my extreme trailer. A few hours after reassembling them, i noticed some oil pooling just below the window on the chrome ring. I wiped them and they reappeared. 3 of the 4 are doing that. Has anyone experienced this problem or have replaced the outer portion of the bearing assembly? Does not waiting to let the wheels/bearings cool before launching the boat in the water ruin the outer seals? I was told by a malibu mechanic that the outer portions of the bearing assembly never go bad and that the inner are the ones that typically need to be replaced.

I've been following this thread with interest....Pardon the hijack, but while on topic, can you (or anyone else) help me understand the following?

-How do you identify the part # / mfg for the "Inner Seal" for oil bath hubs (I have a Boatmate Trailer, 6 lugs if that helps)

-Where did you buy the seals/part?

-Is it recommended to pro-actively replace the inner seals as a preventative measure after a certain # of years?

I'm taking a long road trip this summer, and would like to have the rear seals on hand just in case

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered new o rings for the front caps. All other seals and allen nuts are dry as a bone. It appears to be leaking from just below the front window as it did prior. Upon disassemble, i only cleaned the fronts out but never took them apart. I was told by a malibu tech that the oring seals rarely leak. Not in my case.

Yes, sealed, tight and dry. I never took apart the outside portion but it looks like i have too now to replace the o rings.