Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I ain't hatin...

Love2Ride

So i'm reading the latest issue of Transworld Wakeboarding which came in the mail today, and I get to the article called "Ballin' on a Budget". Suffice to say, it gives reviews on boats like the Tige RZR, Axis A22, Mastercraft X-1, Malibu 23 Ride, etc. Basically, the best bang for your buck in wake boats. Well I make it down to the Moomba Mobius Gravity XLV. Allow me to read you the exact words of the writers:

"The Mobius XLV takes Moomba's biggest and best wakeboarding boats as a starting point and ups the ante with a host of aesthetic and performance features. (here's where it gets laughable...) It all starts with the special-edition Gravity graphics package." :lame:

Let me read that again..."It all starts with the special-edition Gravity graphics package." :rofl:

REALLY!?? THE GRAVITY GRAPHICS PACKAGE!?? Not the V2 tower (illusion tower)? The graphic package makes it look better than the tower???

Nothing better than emulating a malibu to make they're boats look better. :whistle:

I'm sure they're good boats and all, and I'm not hatin', just thought it was kindof funny.

I'm not hatin either but I've heard their interiors are farmed out to Walmart's furniture dept.

I think it's kindof funny that their boats are starting to get just as expensive as the Tige and even some of the Malibus. I don't see how you can justify it, might as well spend another 5 grand and get a Malibu!

I'm not hatin either but I've heard their interiors are farmed out to Walmart's furniture dept.

Yeah but apparently snoop dogg runs the sticker and graphics department

Wow, how visually oriented we have become eh?

It used to be the boat was a great boat now it's more important even for a "cheap" boat to have the graphics package of the more expensive boats?

What's next? Piece of junk boat but it has cool graphics?

Give me simple graphics and a great boat anytime!

I think it's funny that a lot of people comment on the boats and say I heard this and that, but never been in one.

Yes, the interiors are not as nice as a Malibu. Yes, a comprable Mobius LSV is 20K less than Wakesetter Vlx. Their boats (moombas) anyway, run mid 40ks how the door. That is NO where near a Malibu, unless you count the Axis A20 a Malibu.

I think it's funny that a lot of people comment on the boats and say I heard this and that, but never been in one.

Yes, the interiors are not as nice as a Malibu. Yes, a comprable Mobius LSV is 20K less than Wakesetter Vlx. Their boats (moombas) anyway, run mid 40ks how the door. That is NO where near a Malibu, unless you count the Axis A20 a Malibu.

I just did a quick onlyinboards search, and the 2011 Mobius LSV is listed at $53k...I know that is 20k less than a new VLX, but comparable to the price of a new Vride. How would you even compare a Mobius to a Vride?

I used to own the older Mobius, quite a few ex-Moomba owners here. The XLV and the late generation LSV are pretty good boats. I like the magazine too, but I never got much from their boat reviews.

I just did a quick onlyinboards search, and the 2011 Mobius LSV is listed at $53k...I know that is 20k less than a new VLX, but comparable to the price of a new Vride. How would you even compare a Mobius to a Vride?

I was quoted 43K for a 2011 Mobius LSV, with v2 tower, level 3 ballast, wakeplate, stereo, digital cruise, 46K out the door. I'm not sure the the newer Vrides are cost wise, but if they are comparable the Vride is definitely nicer overall boat. To me the Vride is exactly what I would look for in a boat new (New vride, more than gen I or II vride). I do know at the boat show I saw an Axis A20 for 43k + taxes as well. Between those two it's a toss up, although I'd probably go with the Axis.

If you break it down:

1. All these boats have the same engine, from the same manufacturer.

2. They all put out a great wake, that is mostly a matter of preference, and unless you are a pro, you won't even be able to take advantage of.

3. The interiors vary manufactuer to manufactuer, but Moomba's interiors do have a more simple feel, but in which i prefer over the new malibu interiors. Why do I want an LCD to interface with every single function? Why do I want a chrome single spoke steering wheel? Why do I want a windshield with bars everywhere, and holes everywhere obstructing my view, while 5 years ago "frameless" windhsield was all the rage? Just more garnish making an already expensive boat, even more expensive.

Edited by Indyxc

I was quoted 43K for a 2011 Mobius LSV, with v2 tower, level 3 ballast, wakeplate, stereo, digital cruise, 46K out the door. I'm not sure the the newer Vrides are cost wise, but if they are comparable the Vride is definitely nicer overall boat. To me the Vride is exactly what I would look for in a boat new (New vride, more than gen I or II vride). I do know at the boat show I saw an Axis A20 for 43k + taxes as well. Between those two it's a toss up, although I'd probably go with the Axis.

If you break it down:

1. All these boats have the same engine, from the same manufacturer.

2. They all put out a great wake, that is mostly a matter of preference, and unless you are a pro, you won't even be able to take advantage of.

3. The interiors vary manufactuer to manufactuer, but Moomba's interiors do have a more simple feel, but in which i prefer over the new malibu interiors. Why do I want an LCD to interface with every single function? Why do I want a chrome single spoke steering wheel? Why do I want a windshield with bars everywhere, and holes everywhere obstructing my view, while 5 years ago "frameless" windhsield was all the rage? Just more garnish making an already expensive boat, even more expensive.

Ok, so you don't need all the bling and wow factor driving up the cost of your boat, fair enough, myself and many others would agree. But to prefer a moomba's interior over malibu's is crazy, their vinyl is like tissue paper, the foam is thin, especially on the rear decks, and the fit and finish is subpar. And what is so complex about malibu's interior? Have you ever been in an MC or CC? :whistle:

then obviously you haven't been in one! I was just at the Saskatoon boat show this last weekend and sat in a 2011 Mobius LSV and then a Wakesetter. both boats were loaded up and there was a 28K price difference and i did not see any "fit and finish" issues in the Mobius. I love bu's and my buddy has a 02 VLX, his first ride in a Moomba was my boat a 05LSV and he was quite surprised at the quality of the boat.

All that said the reviewer putting that the graphics package was a big part of the boat is a joke!! i love the V2 tower on the moombas and that is the biggest visual upgrade i can see!

I think it's kindof funny that their boats are starting to get just as expensive as the Tige and even some of the Malibus. I don't see how you can justify it, might as well spend another 5 grand and get a Malibu!

more like 20K!

Ok, so you don't need all the bling and wow factor driving up the cost of your boat, fair enough, myself and many others would agree. But to prefer a moomba's interior over malibu's is crazy, their vinyl is like tissue paper, the foam is thin, especially on the rear decks, and the fit and finish is subpar. And what is so complex about malibu's interior? Have you ever been in an MC or CC? :whistle:

then obviously you haven't been in one! I was just at the Saskatoon boat show this last weekend and sat in a 2011 Mobius LSV and then a Wakesetter. both boats were loaded up and there was a 28K price difference and i did not see any "fit and finish" issues in the Mobius. I love bu's and my buddy has a 02 VLX, his first ride in a Moomba was my boat a 05LSV and he was quite surprised at the quality of the boat.

All that said the reviewer putting that the graphics package was a big part of the boat is a joke!! i love the V2 tower on the moombas and that is the biggest visual upgrade i can see!

Yup, I guess that's quite obvious.

Have you sat in a new Mobius?? just curious, when i sat in an 2011 LSV at our local boat show i was really impressed with the vinyl, and it is quite plush. much more so than my 05 Mobius. I personally didn't find much difference between it and a new Wakesetter, but i like the simpler design's moreso anyways.

FYI as soon as i can afford it i'll be going to an Axis A22. Absolutely love how they look and ride. The wake is awesome to for both surfing and boarding

Have you sat in a new Mobius?? just curious, when i sat in an 2011 LSV at our local boat show i was really impressed with the vinyl, and it is quite plush. much more so than my 05 Mobius. I personally didn't find much difference between it and a new Wakesetter, but i like the simpler design's moreso anyways.

FYI as soon as i can afford it i'll be going to an Axis A22. Absolutely love how they look and ride. The wake is awesome to for both surfing and boarding

I really want to ride behind an Axis. I've heard some really good things!

I prefer the the interface no question, especially for the cost. Have you sat in a new moomba? I crawled around all their boats at the boat show, and what you say may have been true of past years boats, however this is not true for 2011. They are very similiar in quality and feel. Yes, the malibu is nicer, but not glaring differences like before. If I had to choose one, cost indifferent, I would take the Malibu no question. However, as far as the interface, I dont want to scroll through 3 lcd screens to look at ballast, see rpms, etc. I like LCD sure, and options, but LCDs, sun, water, and boats to me do not mix. I can't say how well that LCD works in the Sun, but I can't imagine you can see much if the sun is directly behind you.

Also, sasky, I just noticed the lightning in the background of your picture...awesome!

thanks.... my buddy with the 02 wakesetter captured that out of a video he was taking. We decided to exit the water shortly after!! lol.

I got a ride in one last summer and pretty much fell in love with the A22 right then and there!!

I prefer the the interface no question, especially for the cost. Have you sat in a new moomba? I crawled around all their boats at the boat show, and what you say may have been true of past years boats, however this is not true for 2011. They are very similiar in quality and feel. Yes, the malibu is nicer, but not glaring differences like before. If I had to choose one, cost indifferent, I would take the Malibu no question. However, as far as the interface, I dont want to scroll through 3 lcd screens to look at ballast, see rpms, etc. I like LCD sure, and options, but LCDs, sun, water, and boats to me do not mix. I can't say how well that LCD works in the Sun, but I can't imagine you can see much if the sun is directly behind you.

The moomba dealer had a 2010 Outback V and a 2011 Mobius LSV and the LSV's interior looked more plush to me. Apples to apples on a new 2011 i was really impressed with the Moomba, it's not quite as good as a Bu but very close. Skier's Choice is stepping up their game on the moomba lineup...

Coming from a 08 Moomba outback v to our 09 VTX there is a big difference in the interior fit and finish. In the Moomba the seats where thin and not very plush. In the VTX the interior is superb. Our old Moomba was a great boat no doubt about it but the Malibu is built with more quality involved. skiers choice is stepping up their game but they are still a little while away from being comparable to Malibu. The new Supras are in some categories able to compare with there screen and more improved interior.Those are just my thoughts.

Coming from a 08 Moomba outback v to our 09 VTX there is a big difference in the interior fit and finish. In the Moomba the seats where thin and not very plush. In the VTX the interior is superb. Our old Moomba was a great boat no doubt about it but the Malibu is built with more quality involved. skiers choice is stepping up their game but they are still a little while away from being comparable to Malibu. The new Supras are in some categories able to compare with there screen and more improved interior.Those are just my thoughts.

I tend to think they aren't up to Malibu quality because they are $20k + cheaper!! If you have an extra $20k to burn, and many do, then yes, it is a better boat. If you just want a very decent boat, the new Moomba's are a fine choice.