Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Some ballast questions (maybe stupid questions!)

Bilge Rat

1) What's the little "rail" thing screwed to the floor of the rear locker near the engine divider panel? We bought the boat new, and I don't remember that thing having any function for stowing anything. Is it OK to remove that little rail to protect my 1,100# bag?

2) Short of reinforcing the plastic divider panel, has anybody done any other forms of makeshift, temporary fixes to protect the panel? For a quick "fix", I thought about a cut-to-fit piece of structural plywood that goes from the floor (against the retaining rail) up to the steel frame that the panel attaches to. It may be ugly, but do you think it would work? Any thoughts of other quick fixes?

3) Would some form of reinforcement of the locker floor be prudent, even if it were just a piece of plywood?

Sorry if the questions seem a bit newbie-ish, but we're just now trying to ballast the big ole boat for a better surf wake.

I appreciate all of your responses.

1) What's the little "rail" thing screwed to the floor of the rear locker near the engine divider panel? We bought the boat new, and I don't remember that thing having any function for stowing anything. Is it OK to remove that little rail to protect my 1,100# bag? It's for the table storage when it's not in use.

2) Short of reinforcing the plastic divider panel, has anybody done any other forms of makeshift, temporary fixes to protect the panel? For a quick "fix", I thought about a cut-to-fit piece of structural plywood that goes from the floor (against the retaining rail) up to the steel frame that the panel attaches to. It may be ugly, but do you think it would work? Any thoughts of other quick fixes? Plywood can still flex and blow the panel out, the flexing is what you're trying to avoid.

3) Would some form of reinforcement of the locker floor be prudent, even if it were just a piece of plywood? Not needed, fill your stock tank first, not many people do that and have zero issues.

Sorry if the questions seem a bit newbie-ish, but we're just now trying to ballast the big ole boat for a better surf wake.

I appreciate all of your responses.

:plus1: What he said

You could probably take the railing out for the table if you never plan on using it. I thought I would never use a table in our boat, but ended up using it quite a bit for hanging out late nights having some drinks.

:plus1: What he said

You could probably take the railing out for the table if you never plan on using it. I thought I would never use a table in our boat, but ended up using it quite a bit for hanging out late nights having some drinks.

Yeah, well our table ended up at the bottom of the lake very early on (long story), so it's been awhile since I've seen anything in that spot. :(

Yeah, well our table ended up at the bottom of the lake very early on (long story), so it's been awhile since I've seen anything in that spot. :(

I'd like to hear that story!!

I'd like to hear that story!!

Ditto!

Drunken rage???

Try to use it as a surfboard???

Obstacle for the wakeboarder behind the boat??? (like donkey kong)

Come on, tell us!

I'll keep letting you guys try to come up with more interesting scenarios than what really happened. While I DID say it was a long story, I didn't promise it was a GOOD story......I guess I could lie and make something up about trying to use it as a wakeskate or something, or trying to skip it like a rock. But alas, it's not quite so interesting. Suffice it to say that the table does not float. :whistle: