Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesetter VLX 2008 450hrs in

massew

Im looking for this boat.

Its a 400hp with lots of equipement but its 450 hours in.

I thinks its alot...

Is it to much ? I dont want any problem with it...

450 hours on an 08' just means they were able to enjoy the boat. 450 hours on a boat in general is nothing. Do all the things you would do when buying any boat, check service records, etc..

If it was a camp boat that might make you think twice, it would me.

Im looking for this boat.

Its a 400hp with lots of equipement but its 450 hours in.

I thinks its alot...

Is it to much ? I dont want any problem with it...

450 hours on these engines is nothing so long as properly maintained. Doesn't guarantee you won't have a "problem", but very few, in my experience, engine problems are hour-related anyway. Most catastrphic failures relate to improper winterization or cooling neither of which is affected by how many hours are on the engine.

Well it looks like a school boat and tow championship competition...

Looks clean on photo.

What do you suggest?

And I tought 450 hrs was to much...whats the real "too much" number ?

Well most modern V8 gas trucks today are very capable of getting 250,000-300,000 miles without a major rebuild..at an average of 35MPH thats 8570 hours....

200,000 miles at an average of 35mph = 5714 hrs

100,000 miles at an average of 35mph = 2857 hrs

using that same methodology applied to that boat at 35mph = that boat only has 15,750 miles on it!

actually its the Derome's boat... Top pro Brothers in Quebec

Personally I would not buy a "Pro's" boat. I think most pros really weight up their boats running massive amounts over stock. The boat probably has worked fairly hard during those 450 hrs. I also think most pros are given their boats so there may not be the same pride of ownership? There are always exceptions to the rules however so best have a look at it yourself.

NYryan,

My 07 truck has 65,000 miles and 2,458 hours thats total driving (town, fwy, traffic). I also have a 03 with the 5.7 with 156,893 mi and 5485 hours again no issues on both trucks tow the boat (in tow mode) although neither ever get to 3,500 RPM for an extended time like the boat does. And I know adding a ton of weight to get a pro size wake and running at 25 MPH they may be pushing 4,000 RPM with a power prop.

NYryan,

My 07 truck has 65,000 miles and 2,458 hours thats total driving (town, fwy, traffic). I also have a 03 with the 5.7 with 156,893 mi and 5485 hours again no issues on both trucks tow the boat (in tow mode) although neither ever get to 3,500 RPM for an extended time like the boat does. And I know adding a ton of weight to get a pro size wake and running at 25 MPH they may be pushing 4,000 RPM with a power prop.

I am glad you posted those numbers... I just guessed 35mph average.... your trucks must have a computer or you have an engine diagnostic.... with the numbers you gave your averages are 26mph and 28mph... pretty close!

Yep tracking they run higher RPMs and heavy loads.. I wonder what temp an engine runs at over a lifetime plays in the longevtity...over thousands of hours.. Most GMs run in the 200-205 range while most our boats are 160-180 range.... The lower temps have to be better over thousands of hours.. also the cooler and engine is the more efficient it is in producing power..

I am glad you posted those numbers... I just guessed 35mph average.... your trucks must have a computer or you have an engine diagnostic.... with the numbers you gave your averages are 26mph and 28mph... pretty close!

Yep tracking they run higher RPMs and heavy loads.. I wonder what temp an engine runs at over a lifetime plays in the longevtity...over thousands of hours.. Most GMs run in the 200-205 range while most our boats are 160-180 range.... The lower temps have to be better over thousands of hours.. also the cooler and engine is the more efficient it is in producing power..

I've said it before :) However, these engines make it about 3000 hours on engine dynos at 80% duty cycle, so 400 hours is nothing on a well maintained boat.