Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

sunsetter fuel sensor

does anyone know what kind of fuel sensor i need? i have a 97 sunsetter lx... i know the sensor is bad and i would just go to a dealer but i really dont feel like paying a rediculous price when i could order one online for half the price.. thanks any help is appreciated

does anyone know what kind of fuel sensor i need? i have a 97 sunsetter lx... i know the sensor is bad and i would just go to a dealer but i really dont feel like paying a rediculous price when i could order one online for half the price.. thanks any help is appreciated

Either way you should probably call skidim.com but this may also be of interest.

Just get the 'generic' Teleflex type sender. You can get them at your local marine dealer, including Bass Pro or West Marine type stores. You can also get them online. It will run you about $20.00. Follow the instructions, and you will see accuracy in your gas guage that you only dreamed of with the stock Malibu set up.

Why not put the right part in there????? I know - it is novel idea!!!!

Here is the unit you need. I just replaced mine in my 97 Sunsetter direct drive. Make sure that yours look like the picture in the linnk

http://www.rochestergauges.com/pages/PDFs/8341_70.pdf

It is part number 8341 - A7000. I picked mine up on ebay from this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuel-Sending-Unit-/250781186623?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a63b93a3f

Why not put the right part in there????? I know - it is novel idea!!!!

If this rochester part you link is the OEM one, what makes a new one any better than the factory installed garbage?

Pete - the boat is a 1997. That makes that part around 15 years old.

Are you kidding me? 15 years on a fuel sending unit is pretty damn good.

When was the last time you got 15 years out of any fuel related part?????

Edited by Murphy8166

My boat is a 2000. From the pics. of that unit, that is what I had in my boat when I replaced it with a teleflex.

My gas gauge didn't work from day 1.

My Nissan Sentra has 172K miles on it, and is 17 yrs. old. I've had it since new and it spent it's first 2 years in Boston salt. I've never replaced a fuel component except for the filter.

Why don't you post the part number and help the OP out?

That way this thread will be useful for future crew members in giving them a choice b/t two fuel sending units for the older sunsetters.

Edited by Murphy8166

Why don't you post the part number and help the OP out?

That way this thread will be useful for future crew members in giving them a choice b/t two fuel sending units for the older sunsetters.

Although the OP is trying to just replace his fuel sender, we are suggesting that he upgrades to the Teleflex/Morse unit that is more accurate, cheap, easy to install, and calibrate. I don't know the part number but from my link above it appears it's a generic part that will fit many tank sizes.

I had them both in my hand about a month ago and I can tell you that the tele-flex unit is no better than the Rochester which is the same unit as Moeller.

I am sure that either will work.

If you really want to upgrade....take a look at this.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9555&familyName=Moeller+Electric+Type+Fuel+Sending+Unit

I've put the Teleflex one in my last two boats and never had another problem with fuel measurements after. Easy to install and very repeatable measurement.

With a 40 gallon tank & it reading 1/4 - it will unlikely take 30 gallons, but every time you fill it up when it reads 1/4, it will take the same amount of fuel.

I can usually guestimate within a gallon how much it will take when I fill it.