Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which Malibu Is Best For Both Waterski and Wakeboard

MalibuKent

Hi,

Looking to get the best waterskiing and wakeboarding from the same boat. I love my friend's older model Sunscape (can't remember what year) which has a soft wake. Of the more current model years, which cross-over hull has the softest wake. I figure with ballest, etc, it's easier to get a big wake from a hull the generates a naturally soft wake than the other way around.

Open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Edited by MalibuKent

Check out the VTX or Sunscape both are avaliable on the cutdimond hull that the response is built on. Should be what you are looking for.

Looking to get the best waterskiing and wakeboarding from the same boat. I love my friend's older model Sunscape (can't remember what year) which has a soft wake. Of the more current model years, which cross-over hull has the softest wake. I figure with ballest, etc, it's easier to get a big wake from a hull the generates a naturally soft wake than the other way around.

2007-2011 Wakesetter VTX on the Cut Diamond hull would be your best bet. Same years for Sunscape 20 LSV, but you'd

need a tower and ballast added (this boat automatically comes with the Cut Diamond hull).

I'm getting ready to list my 2008 VTX(diamond hull) for sale. PM me if you are interested and I'll send you details.

Ski behind a v-drive before you buy one. Some people will be satisfied with the slalom wake, some won't. I love the "idea" of the VTX and it is the best slalom skiing v-drive I've skied behind. That said, I wouldn't own one because it's not even close to a DD slalom wake. :no:

Looking for new or used?

If used, the 99-04 Sunsetter LXi.

99 Sunsetter lxi is a sweet boat. Of course since I have one I am a bit biased.

If looking at used, how old?

I was in the same "boat". I was willing to favor the wakeboard over slalom wakes and believe we found a great all around boat, 2010 Wakesetter LSV on the cut diamond hull. Would have went with the VTX but the extra room was one of the primary reasons we were upgrading boats. Here is a picture of the LSV wake at 30mph.

DSC_9125.jpg

The diamond hull softens the wake quite a bit. Ths picture also had about 75% full on the front ballast the rest empty.

Kris

If used, the 99-04 Sunsetter LXi.

:plus1: Of course I am biased as I own a '01SSLxi. I will say that this boat tends to favor in the slalom department. However, with 1000lb of ballast (400lb center ski locker, 600lb in reinforced trunk) and wedge down it throws a very respectable wakeboard wake and is surfable.

I owned a Sunsetter LXi for a few years, and now have a VTX on Cut Diamond hull. I prefer to ski behind the VTX over the SS LXi. There is less trough on the VTX. The quietness and room of the V-drive are great in comparison. I have run the VTX thru the slalom course for a week and had no problems.

So, Depends on your budget. If going Used for much lower cost, the SS LXi is the best crossover. If going used, but higher cost, the VTX on Cut Diamond Hull is a much better crossover IMHO. If going new, then VTX on Cut Diamond hull.

We have a 2003 Sunsetter LXI and love it! My husband and I are skiers and our kids like to wakeboard. It is the best of both worlds for all of us.

I am sure there will be MANY opinions so here is mine - Either a Sunscape or a VTX with the VTX reported to be better by many people.

Sunscape from 2003 - 2004 and then again in 2010 and 2011.

(In 2005 Malibu changed the hull angle from the SV23 to an SV25 which made the wakeboarding wake a little better and the ski wake quite a bit worse. In 2010 Malibu changed the hull to the Cut Diamond with the same angle as the SV23. The 2004 Sunscape is mostly the same as the 2003 with the addition of the Gorilla tracking fins, retractable ski pylon, and a slightly fancier wheel and speed control knob. I prefer the non-retractable pylon on the 2003 - pulls the skier from higher up, more like the position on a direct drive pylon. Prior to 2003 the speedo was not a paddle wheel and the swim platform was not easy to remove and replace.)

VTX in 2008-2011 - probably the best choice if you can swing the price

(I believe the VTX started in 07 but had reports of a number of issues in that year)

I owned a Sunsetter LXi for a few years, and now have a VTX on Cut Diamond hull. I prefer to ski behind the VTX over the SS LXi. There is less trough on the VTX. The quietness and room of the V-drive are great in comparison. I have run the VTX thru the slalom course for a week and had no problems.

So, Depends on your budget. If going Used for much lower cost, the SS LXi is the best crossover. If going used, but higher cost, the VTX on Cut Diamond Hull is a much better crossover IMHO. If going new, then VTX on Cut Diamond hull.

What speed are you skiing?

I was in the same "boat". I was willing to favor the wakeboard over slalom wakes and believe we found a great all around boat, 2010 Wakesetter LSV on the cut diamond hull. Would have went with the VTX but the extra room was one of the primary reasons we were upgrading boats. Here is a picture of the LSV wake at 30mph.

DSC_9125.jpg

The diamond hull softens the wake quite a bit. Ths picture also had about 75% full on the front ballast the rest empty.

Kris

Thanks so much for the picture. I'm no expert, but compared to the wake of my 20' Regal I/O, this wake looks great!

Such great information. Thanks everyone for the responses! We have a friend nearby on our lake that is a avid waterskier that has a Sunscape (2004 I believe) that I've skied behind. I'm no expert but the wake is quite soft especailly compared to my 20' Regal deep-V I/O!

Thanks again everyone!

Kris

Straight from a VTX to an LSV for a little extra room...lol The VLX just too cramped for ya... :)

I recently read that the XTi boats were designed as a crossover boat. They are direct drives that offer a decent wake for wakeboarding, yet produce a wake soft enough for skiing.

http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/2002/12/27/malibu-2003-wakesetter-23-xti/

Just so happens to be the boat I have. I just don't slalom ski. I have a buddy I pulled behind it who skis, and he said it was pretty nice for slalom. Just my $.02