Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Norman NC

rodman

Hey Crew want to try lake Norman this summer. Any suggestions? There are so many areas around that lake I hate to do this blind if I do not have to.

There are quite a few Crew members on Norman. I am just down stream on Moutain Island Lake. Though may make it to Norman if Ndawg12 puts together another miniWOW. :whistle: The adoption is done and I am not moving this summer. :clap::yahoo:

There are quite a few Crew members on Norman. I am just down stream on Moutain Island Lake. Though may make it to Norman if Ndawg12 puts together another miniWOW. :whistle: The adoption is done and I am not moving this summer. :clap::yahoo:

Rew There are so many areas any ideas where would be a good area to stay. It will be my first time there and bring my family trying not to get a bad area.

It is a big lake. 520+ miles of shoreline. The lake gets pretty busy/rough on weekends during the summer but if you're able to get out during the week, especially during a week day, it will be much better.

Given it the lake was made with a dam on the Catawba River, there are area's off the main channel that can get shallow but if you're anywhere near the main channel it is generally pretty deep (60-100' in many places). Early in the summer the water tends to be a bit higher and this is when I like to ride the lake all the way north to the I40 bridge. Not much more than a mile or two north of the Hwy 150 bridge, it basically turns into the Catawba River - fairly narrow especially so the farther north you go. If you elect to go up this way, don't go past I40 as there's another dam not too much farther north and there are plenty of rocks north of the bridge. We often see skii/wakeboard boats on the river up here as even on weekends it tends to be a bit more quiet with long stretches of relatively flat water.

Other than that, popular areas include the sandbar all the way on the south end and the area around the Duke Power State Park on the north end. There are plenty of other areas as well. I tend to like the Northern half of the lake a bit more as it seems (perhaps only an illusion) to be a bit less crowded on weekends with plenty of coves, beaches etc. to park at. We will be up there a lot this year with new lake house and new boat. Can't wait.

Are you more into skiing or boardsports? I'm with the Lake Norman Ski Club. We're primarily focused on slalom, but do have many members (myself included) who wakeboard or surf, and even a few crazies who like to barefoot. We have three slalom courses on the lake that we own and maintain. Two of them are on the main part of the lake and are submersed when not in use, and the other is a permanent course on one of the small parts of the lake that is cut-off by I-77. All three of these are marked on the google map showing the locations of bu crew members.

Let me know when you make your arrangements and we'll see if we can get together.

It is a big lake. 520+ miles of shoreline. The lake gets pretty busy/rough on weekends during the summer but if you're able to get out during the week, especially during a week day, it will be much better.

Given it the lake was made with a dam on the Catawba River, there are area's off the main channel that can get shallow but if you're anywhere near the main channel it is generally pretty deep (60-100' in many places). Early in the summer the water tends to be a bit higher and this is when I like to ride the lake all the way north to the I40 bridge. Not much more than a mile or two north of the Hwy 150 bridge, it basically turns into the Catawba River - fairly narrow especially so the farther north you go. If you elect to go up this way, don't go past I40 as there's another dam not too much farther north and there are plenty of rocks north of the bridge. We often see skii/wakeboard boats on the river up here as even on weekends it tends to be a bit more quiet with long stretches of relatively flat water.

Other than that, popular areas include the sandbar all the way on the south end and the area around the Duke Power State Park on the north end. There are plenty of other areas as well. I tend to like the Northern half of the lake a bit more as it seems (perhaps only an illusion) to be a bit less crowded on weekends with plenty of coves, beaches etc. to park at. We will be up there a lot this year with new lake house and new boat. Can't wait.

Are you more into skiing or boardsports? I'm with the Lake Norman Ski Club. We're primarily focused on slalom, but do have many members (myself included) who wakeboard or surf, and even a few crazies who like to barefoot. We have three slalom courses on the lake that we own and maintain. Two of them are on the main part of the lake and are submersed when not in use, and the other is a permanent course on one of the small parts of the lake that is cut-off by I-77. All three of these are marked on the google map showing the locations of bu crew members.

Let me know when you make your arrangements and we'll see if we can get together.

I would like to say that I can still ski have kids that just want to be on the water. i no where 77 crosses and have seen the corse from the road. I plan on End of July early August. If I get a place book I will let you no if we make it.

If you make down this summer stop by and visit us here at North Point Watersports! We are the local malibu dealer for the Lake Norman area and it's always great to meet other Bu owners and talk shop. We are located in Mooresville just off exit 36 from 77. The lake here is great, lots to do and if you want to be on in the social areas you can but you can also get up to the north side for some great water and relaxation. Hope you make it down for a visit!

Brian

Like some of the others have said its a big lake and you cant really go wrong. Allot of great houses for rent too, i've looked a few times but have yet to put it all together to get one. Hope you make it down and keep us posted. We have a large contingent on here who ride and party on LKN and are out there almost everyweekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm making a return trip to Norman the first week of June. I was wondering if the slalom course that's in that big bay pretty much in the middle of the lake (north to south) is still there. I stumbled across it 2 years ago when I was down there. We're hoping to do a bunch of slalom and I hope it's still there. Going to be pulling my 2011 VTX down there for its maiden trip! Can't wait. We loved Norman.

Thanks.