Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

To Sand the Teak or Not to Not Sand the Teak...

I will take some before and after shots and post them up. I can't wait to have a real nice looking platform on the boat. It sickens me that someone put varnish on the thing. I don't get it. In any case, I'll try a test patch on the underside of the platform to determine the direction I'm going to go with it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martinarcher

• luvtheBU

• WakingMeHappy

• Slayer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, I got the swim deck all sanded, took it all apart, probably 40 hours invested total time. At least. 3 perfect coats of oil. Let it 90% dry in the garage.

Decided to let it spend an hour or two on the boat, in the sun to ease into fully absorbed.

Came out less than an hour later, and a bird had taken the hugest, grossest dump, dead center of the swim platform. :crazy: Like he was waiting for a bulls-eye to let loose.

I let the 4 letter words fly like never before. :innocent: It's on now ! At least, if I can find him !

Steve B.

So, I got the swim deck all sanded, took it all apart, probably 40 hours invested total time. At least. 3 perfect coats of oil. Let it 90% dry in the garage.

Decided to let it spend an hour or two on the boat, in the sun to ease into fully absorbed.

Came out less than an hour later, and a bird had taken the hugest, grossest dump, dead center of the swim platform. :crazy: Like he was waiting for a bulls-eye to let loose.

I let the 4 letter words fly like never before. :innocent: It's on now ! At least, if I can find him !

Steve B.

Thanks for the good laugh! Don't forget to post a picture once the bird crap is removed. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I have started the sanding on the teak and I'm really pi$$ed that the previous owner varnished it. :crazy: I've got most of the varnish off now with the exception of some of the hard to get spots. I took some before pics and will take more when the sanding is complete. I hope to finish that today. It's been a bit of a PITA getting it all off. I used a belt sander, an orbital sander, a dremel for some of the tight spots, and lots of hand sanding after the dremmel.

I didn't use any stripping products as suggested by Waking Me Happy and also had the same thoughts....."is this stuff ever coming off?" I originally was planning on doing this in the fall, but with the crappy weather and high water levels I decided to just get it done while I had the chance. I'll post pics when I get it done.

inlandlaker,

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Once you have it completely sanded wash it real good with soap and water and spray it with a hard stream of water to get all the dust from the crevices. The first time I did mine I went to a car wash and used their pressure sprayer. It did a good job on the washing but I think my garden hose would have done just as well.

inlandlaker,

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Once you have it completely sanded wash it real good with soap and water and spray it with a hard stream of water to get all the dust from the crevices. The first time I did mine I went to a car wash and used their pressure sprayer. It did a good job on the washing but I think my garden hose would have done just as well.

Thanks for the advice WMH. I've been blowing it off with compressed air periodically during sanding. I plan on doing the teak cleaner and brightener treatment from Starbrite and will be sure to wash it really well.

I finished oiling the teak on the boat and now it looks so good that I had to go and look at a new patio set, teak of course. It is on clearance after sitting in the sun and weathering, but nothing a little oil can't fix. So glad I have the wood swim platform.

• 2 weeks later...

I have started the sanding on the teak and I'm really pi$$ed that the previous owner varnished it. :crazy: I've got most of the varnish off now with the exception of some of the hard to get spots. I took some before pics and will take more when the sanding is complete. I hope to finish that today. It's been a bit of a PITA getting it all off. I used a belt sander, an orbital sander, a dremel for some of the tight spots, and lots of hand sanding after the dremmel.

I didn't use any stripping products as suggested by Waking Me Happy and also had the same thoughts....."is this stuff ever coming off?" I originally was planning on doing this in the fall, but with the crappy weather and high water levels I decided to just get it done while I had the chance. I'll post pics when I get it done.

YES!, that is one ugly piece of wood hanging off the back of the 89 I just stole... because they varnished it sometime in the past and now it looks like hell. Good thing I enjoy woodworking... I may build a new one from scratch using the old one as the template...

Teak is ready to rock. I plan on taking the platform apart this winter to get the entirety of the varnish off that I was unable to get with the thing fully assembled.

Here's the results. As soon as we get some good weather and lower water levels, I'll have some water shots.

After removing the varnish that was on it, the platform soaked up three coats of teak oil. I love the results and love teak!

Edited by inlandlaker
MalibuNation

Teak is ready to rock. I plan on taking the platform apart this winter to get the entirety of the varnish off that I was unable to get with the thing fully assembled.

Here's the results. As soon as we get some good weather and lower water levels, I'll have some water shots.

After removing the varnish that was on it, the platform soaked up three coats of teak oil. I love the results and love teak!

Very nice. Hey, what are you doing posting at 5 something am ... thought that was my job :biggrin:

martinarcher

Looks awesome!

martinarcher

YES!, that is one ugly piece of wood hanging off the back of the 89 I just stole... because they varnished it sometime in the past and now it looks like hell. Good thing I enjoy woodworking... I may build a new one from scratch using the old one as the template...

Now that would be cool. Never seen anyone do that. If you do take lots of pics...I wanna see them!! Rockon.gif