Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Help with Trailer Advice

MichLivin

I need some advice, I have a 2011 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, it really looks like a show boat with mostly black exterior and some yellow accent color. The boat is loaded with every option except the 555 hp engine. My question is I purchased the plain jane tandem axle eagle trailer. I started to look into upgrading wheels and talked to Own at Boatmate, he could sell me (4) 18" wheels and tires for less than 2k. I spoke to my local dealer and since I have not taken delivery I can still change out my trailer to accommodate the 18" wheels. It would cost me a few hundred dollars to upgrade the frame to a 5" frame with wider fenders for tire clearance but at that price the trailer is delivered with no wheels (so I have to purchase those wheels from boatmate for ~2k and add them on).

There is another option, the dealer has a 2010 new never titled trailer that they used for demo's that looks really sharp. Its made for a 23' Malibu it has three axles, 18" wheels, a spare 18" wheel/ tire, (4) large 10" LED lights around the fenders and stainless steel fenders. Is it worth spending the extra money to upgrade to that trailer? I live on the lake but plan to trailer my boat up north, etc a few times a year. I just feel that you can't have a flashy boat on non-flashy trailer. what are your thoughts?

How can I determine how much a upgraded trailer is? By upgraded I mean 18" wheels, LED lights around the trailer, etc. To upgrade to the tri-axle it would cost a me $$$$, I just can't determine is it worth it or not.

I personally would look for a trailer that has bunks that properly support the boat, wheels that won't fall off, tires that won't blow, brakes that will stop it, and a proper design to keep the boat out of the back of your truck if you rear-end someone. I would spend more money on a trailer that was more durable and safer, but would not spend any more for bling that is harder to clean and that might need replacing later. Also, three axles means more brakes to maintain, tires to buy, and wheels to grease, and I can't believe that three axles are needed to support the weight of that boat.

But, it sounds like you have different trailer goals, so get the one that makes you happy.

I saw a Bu on a tri-axle before and all I can say is wow! Best looking set-up I've ever seen. Now is it worth it or not? That's for you to decide.........The only real advice I've got is which ever trailer you get make sure you get a spare tire. I bought my boat new (was on the dealers lot) and it didn't come with a spare. I'm currently trying to track down a spare, then I'll have to weld the under carriage mount & touch up the paint.

If you want to be the guy at the launch with the sharpest looking trailer the Tri-axle is worth it :rockon:

Koop

I personally would look for a trailer that has bunks that properly support the boat, wheels that won't fall off, tires that won't blow, brakes that will stop it, and a proper design to keep the boat out of the back of your truck if you rear-end someone. I would spend more money on a trailer that was more durable and safer, but would not spend any more for bling that is harder to clean and that might need replacing later. Also, three axles means more brakes to maintain, tires to buy, and wheels to grease, and I can't believe that three axles are needed to support the weight of that boat.

But, it sounds like you have different trailer goals, so get the one that makes you happy.

I agree with you my orignal intention was a trailer then I started seeing all the "bling" trailers and thought is it worth it. Now the question is how far do I want to go with this thought and what's reasonable. I also dont want to pay too much for a trailer upgrade. I have seen many "bling" trailers and many dealers have in-stock boats with these trailers but do they really charge that much more for them?

Spend the $ on a lake house.

Just curious ... where are you located? Thanks!

I agree with spending on the lake house. I just don't want to end up kicking myself for not doing the upgrade now. Once I take delivery I will lose too much money in trying to do an upgrade.

I am in Commerce Twp.

I'm not sure i have ever seen a tri-axle trailer pulling a bu

Spend the $ on a lake house.

Just curious ... where are you located? Thanks!

I've done some boating for the longest time near Paw Paw. This year will be the first not in the area.

How much "Extra Bling" is worth is completely up to you. I don't think anyone else will be able to answer that question for you.

If it was me and I had just purchased a 2011 23 LSV (I wish!) I would probably not mind splurging to get a trailer that matches it's complete awesomeness! :rockon:

If you are already doubting your decision to go with the plainer trailer, then you have really answered the question for yourself. I say go for it!

If I was buying an 2011 23LSV, it would have a blinged out trailer. The 23LSV at the Vancouver boat show was $83K. If you ask me, if the price is that much, it should come with a blinged out trailer!! The 24LSV they had there was $108k and had a blinged out triple axle trailer. Very sharp looking unit. Even the Axis that was $67k had a blinged out trailer. I would price out a new blinged out double axle trailer and compare it to how much they want for the triple axle trailer. But do remember more rubber to replace on a triple. With the basic trailer, it might cost you just as much to upgrade it then to buy a blinged out one. Sometimes you are just better off to buy it the way you want it in the first place. Just my .02

I'd upgrade the double axle. A triple just seems too much. For the dough that you are spending, don't skimp on the trailer. When you go to sell it, the first impression when they pull in the driveway will be the boat and trailer it is sitting on. A cheap trailer will change the feel completely, even if inside the boat is incredible, they still have to get past the trailer first. So, to me, it's worth it just for that, you will get your money back out of it.

I'd upgrade the double axle. A triple just seems too much. For the dough that you are spending, don't skimp on the trailer. When you go to sell it, the first impression when they pull in the driveway will be the boat and trailer it is sitting on. A cheap trailer will change the feel completely, even if inside the boat is incredible, they still have to get past the trailer first. So, to me, it's worth it just for that, you will get your money back out of it.

A simple Tire & wheel change on any trailer makes a Hugh difference, even on a plain one. If I'm not mistaken though, don't you have to change the fenders out to go with the 18" wheels. So it would be easier to order it with them.. I do like, on certain colors a matching trailer, But Black always looks good on any combo.

I would not spend more money on bling.

The money you spend to put sports car tires on your trailer increases your odds of having a malfunction on the 100 degree day that you would rather spend at the lake, not along the roadside.

I would spend more money to get a double axle trailer that allows you to go to a high load rated tire possibly an "E" rated (the old 10 ply replacement).

My boat sits in my garage 340 days a year. The only one that sees the trailer during that time is me. When my boat is in the water I don't see the trailer.As far as trailers go, here is my plan:

Go for E rated tires that have a high load rating of 3000 to 3400 pounds each. (Less flats, etc)

A good choice for trailers is 265/75 R 16 Load range "E"; capacity is 3400 pounds per tire. One added benefit: you do not need a spare tire.

Disc brakes on all four wheels.

Slide the axles a little further back on the trailer to get a HEAVY tongue weight. This will insure that the trailer will not sway in the corners. I spent money for more load rating, good brakes, and a way to decrease sway.

Spend some money on a good tow rig. (Duramax, baby)

I was born in 1946. That will explain my point of view. :crazy:

I have never had a roadside flat or lost a trailer bearing in 47 years of towing boat trailers. I have not used a boat trailer spare since 1984. I keep new tires on my trailer. When I want to go to the lake, I want to go to the lake, not the garage on the way.

Edited by DONTW8

I would not spend more money on bling.

The money you spend to put sports car tires on your trailer increases your odds of having a malfunction on the 100 degree day that you would rather spend at the lake, not along the roadside.

I would spend more money to get a double axle trailer that allows you to go to a high load rated tire possibly an "E" rated (the old 10 ply replacement).

My boat sits in my garage 340 days a year. The only one that sees the trailer during that time is me. When my boat is in the water I don't see the trailer.As far as trailers go, here is my plan:

Go for E rated tires that have a high load rating of 3000 to 3400 pounds each. (Less flats, etc)

A good choice for trailers is 265/75 R 16 Load range "E"; capacity is 3400 pounds per tire. One added benefit: you do not need a spare tire.

Disc brakes on all four wheels.

Slide the axles a little further back on the trailer to get a HEAVY tongue weight. This will insure that the trailer will not sway in the corners. I spent money for more load rating, good brakes, and a way to decrease sway.

Spend some money on a good tow rig. (Duramax, baby)

I was born in 1946. That will explain my point of view. :crazy:

I have never had a roadside flat or lost a trailer bearing in 47 years of towing boat trailers. I have not used a boat trailer spare since 1984. I keep new tires on my trailer. When I want to go to the lake, I want to go to the lake, not the garage on the way.

Bingo.

A simple Tire & wheel change on any trailer makes a Hugh difference, even on a plain one. If I'm not mistaken though, don't you have to change the fenders out to go with the 18" wheels. So it would be easier to order it with them.. I do like, on certain colors a matching trailer, But Black always looks good on any combo.

Agreed, it looks like I am just going to do a wheel upgrade on the tandem. For my purposes I do not see the value in the tri-axle or all the extra lighting. For me the trailer is going to be in a warehouse 99% of its life and 1% on the road.

Bingo.

I agree with the concern about not having load range E tires, but eagle wanted to ensure the tire are a specific brand and size in order to certify the trailer weight. In other Eagle is backing the load capacity so I really dont have too many concerns. I was also told that the axles are rated for 3500lb each, so if I have 1 axle tires blow out I would still be safe. I agree about being the only one that looks at the trailer but the wheels would do the trick for me and make me feel better.

Maybe i am the only one on the site but I enjoy just looking at the boat myself sometimes.