Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter engine temp

drc007

I'm just wondering what are yalls engine temps about .. I tOok mine out yesterday and it stayed around 150 for te most part.. What temp would mean I need to check things out? Oh it's a 97 sunsetter lx

The engine marinizers (Indmar, Mercruiser, PCM) tend to install a 140 degree F thermostat in the system to compensate for salt water. The salt will change state over 140 then solidify in spots that are not so good, so to keep that from happening, a 140 thermostat is used. If you run in a salt free environment, like many ski boats, that is not really an issue so you can change the thermostat to something more desireable. A common change is to go to a 160 degree F thermostat particularly if you have a heater or hot water shower. That improves the odds that warm air and water will be available for those. The modern automobile commonly runs at 190-210 degrees F so from an engine perspective, there is no issue. The one caution, since water boils at 212 degrees F and boats tend not to use antifreeze, staying below that threshold is important. The location of the temperature sensor and the calibratioin of the temperature gauge will also affect the actual temperature reading. A very important point is to make sure that the temperature is stable at running speed and not fluctuating which would indicate most likely some blockage in the system.