Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need advice on boating with truck/camper combo

rugger

I've owned an RV trailer in the past, but sold it after getting a boat and we've enjoyed tent camping. We're now considering a truck/camper combo that we'd use with the boat. We typically camp for 3-4 days at a time, and the boat has to come out of the water each day.

For those with truck/campers:

Do you unload the camper at the campsite (on proper supports) and leave it off the truck while you're there? Or do you pull the boat in and out of the water each day with the camper on?

Not sure if it would be a be a bigger pain to load/unload each day with the camper on, then resetting/leveling each night back at camp.

Thoughts? I've just never paid attention to what camper combo folks do.

Thanks.

Edited by rugger

I unhook the boat and have my buddy put it in the water since he tows a trailer to the lake. I have put the boat in the water with the camper which isn't that bad, but the parking is never level so the fridge stops working. I have also left the camper at the campsite and just used the truck to put the boat in the water. Lots of moving stuff at the campground with that plan.

I unhook the boat and have my buddy put it in the water since he tows a trailer to the lake. I have put the boat in the water with the camper which isn't that bad, but the parking is never level so the fridge stops working. I have also left the camper at the campsite and just used the truck to put the boat in the water. Lots of moving stuff at the campground with that plan.

Did you actually camp in it off the truck (assuming it was placed on floor supports, etc)? Or am I way out in left field now...

Did you actually camp in it off the truck (assuming it was placed on floor supports, etc)? Or am I way out in left field now...

Yes, we camped in the camper off the truck. I just lowered it on the camper jacks, it was fine.

I think i would take the camper off for a 3-4 trip. This would make it easier

That is cool. Expensive, but cool. Thanks for the input. Now the search is on!

Those HOST campers are very cool. Large capacities as the tanks are in the floor. Very expensive but probably the best unit available today. Manufactured by the families that started Beaver Motorhomes in the 1970's. Made here in Bend.

My good boating friends have a camper on their truck that they use to pull their Nautique. They take the camper off and then use the truck to launch boats and make trips for gas and supplies.