Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Learning Wake Surf Tricks

mrothwell

Last summer we started doing more surfing and I just picked up more ballast. So, now my question is: Are there any good training videos for wake surfing like there are for boarding? Any that can be recommended, any to stay away from?

Thanks.

Last summer we started doing more surfing and I just picked up more ballast. So, now my question is: Are there any good training videos for wake surfing like there are for boarding? Any that can be recommended, any to stay away from?

Thanks.

Slaysh Tank is coming out with a series of instructional videos... I can't wait :rockon: Click the vimeo link for a preview.

I pretty much just follow the boat right now, will pump up and down the wake a little. I have a Broadcast 5' 6", and an Inland Surfer (not sure the model - it's a green surf style board). I would like to just start learning tricks. Where do I start first? I see a video of a guy doing surface 360's and he is so smooth that I cant see how he initializes or finishes the spin. What is the first trick to learn, then where do I go from there?

Unlike wakeboarding, skiing, snow skiing, snowboarding, etc there are no consequences to trying a wakesurf trick 200 times in a day (besides fuel costs :) ). Just keep practicing, you'll get it.

To me, most of wakesurfing is a 'feel' thing. It's kind of difficult to describe to someone how to use the push of the wave effectively, and that's really the basis for doing any type of trick. Just out of curiosity, what type of tricks are you ready to learn? If you're ready for shove-its, etc watch the wakeskate vids and practice on a trampoline. Same with getting air, watch the wakeskate vids on how to ollie....same principal.

I pretty much just follow the boat right now, will pump up and down the wake a little. I have a Broadcast 5' 6", and an Inland Surfer (not sure the model - it's a green surf style board). I would like to just start learning tricks. Where do I start first? I see a video of a guy doing surface 360's and he is so smooth that I cant see how he initializes or finishes the spin. What is the first trick to learn, then where do I go from there?

I dont' imagine a 360 on a surf board would be much different than on a wakeboard or wakeskate. Just gotta learn to flatten out and bring the back around. I'm guessing learning to slide first would help

The first thing I would work on is those turns. See how many big turns you can take in a row without adjustment movements. When you start linking a 3-4-5 small turns together, move to bigger turns (and so on..). The goal is to eventually link big slashing turns, one after another, with little or no adjustments in between. This may not sound like a 'trick' but it will teach you SO much about how to maximize the wave, what you can do where (on the wave), and how to use your movements efficiently (so you don't have to play catch-up on the wave after every little trick/slash/turn). Plus, taking those big, effortless, stylee turns is what surfing is all about....and it looks dope too. :biggrin:

Anyway, starting with turns is gonna inadvertently teach you how to do a lot of things. Try front/backside board slides (depending on what your stance is and what side you're riding on they're actually called lip OR board slides, but we'll keep it simple). A slide where your body is facing the boat will be easier than one with your back to it. After that you can progress to trying to get some air, spinning. etc...... (the key to learning to spin for the first time is using your hand to initiate the turn).

A couple things to remember so you don't get discouraged too:

The size (and 'cleanliness') of your wave will dramatically effect how much you can really do on your wave. You're going to YOUTUBE videos and see guys getting 3' of air.....that's because they've combined a bit of ability with a $100K wave and a $1000 board. The bigger wake surf waves (unlike big ocean waves) are much more forgiving of mistakes with no consequence for falling. Some of this stuff just isn't possible with smaller waves. This leads me to my next point; the type of board you ride is going to limit/expand what kind of tricks you can do. A bigger board will not be as easy to take turns on, a board with 3 giant fins isn't going to spin well, etc, etc. There's lots of people around here that know a TON about surf boards... Hit them up for advice. Lastly, make sure to work on the basics as much as you can before you expect yourself to progress too much. So much of every little maneuver depends on your ability to really, really control your speed (before & after the trick). Plus, you don't want to be the guy who can do a 360 right off the swim step, but can't stay in the wave if a boat goes by. :lol: Either way, have fun!! Keep us posted on your progress.....

BS, I'm glad to see your knowledge extends beyond football!:Tease3: Great advice!

Drew Danielo has a 3 or 4disc instructional video it hits on a lot of key points. Unlike WakeBoarding boat setup is really important to your personal success. :thumbup:

Edited by CRASH

The first thing I would work on is those turns. See how many big turns you can take in a row without adjustment movements. When you start linking a 3-4-5 small turns together, move to bigger turns (and so on..). The goal is to eventually link big slashing turns, one after another, with little or no adjustments in between. This may not sound like a 'trick' but it will teach you SO much about how to maximize the wave, what you can do where (on the wave), and how to use your movements efficiently (so you don't have to play catch-up on the wave after every little trick/slash/turn). Plus, taking those big, effortless, stylee turns is what surfing is all about....and it looks dope too. :biggrin:

Anyway, starting with turns is gonna inadvertently teach you how to do a lot of things. Try front/backside board slides (depending on what your stance is and what side you're riding on they're actually called lip OR board slides, but we'll keep it simple). A slide where your body is facing the boat will be easier than one with your back to it. After that you can progress to trying to get some air, spinning. etc...... (the key to learning to spin for the first time is using your hand to initiate the turn).

A couple things to remember so you don't get discouraged too:

The size (and 'cleanliness') of your wave will dramatically effect how much you can really do on your wave. You're going to YOUTUBE videos and see guys getting 3' of air.....that's because they've combined a bit of ability with a $100K wave and a $1000 board. The bigger wake surf waves (unlike big ocean waves) are much more forgiving of mistakes with no consequence for falling. Some of this stuff just isn't possible with smaller waves. This leads me to my next point; the type of board you ride is going to limit/expand what kind of tricks you can do. A bigger board will not be as easy to take turns on, a board with 3 giant fins isn't going to spin well, etc, etc. There's lots of people around here that know a TON about surf boards... Hit them up for advice. Lastly, make sure to work on the basics as much as you can before you expect yourself to progress too much. So much of every little maneuver depends on your ability to really, really control your speed (before & after the trick). Plus, you don't want to be the guy who can do a 360 right off the swim step, but can't stay in the wave if a boat goes by. :lol: Either way, have fun!! Keep us posted on your progress.....

Ok, now I see what I am doing wrong. :lol:

• 4 years later...

Of if it were just that easy...

why isn't it?

While going <12mph there isn't really a fear factor of falling. You just have to be okay with trying tricks over and over. It takes patience but it's much easier than other board sports

why isn't it?

While going <12mph there isn't really a fear factor of falling. You just have to be okay with trying tricks over and over. It takes patience but it's much easier than other board sports

No Fear here!

just the learning curve is easier on some things faster than others....

I agree, when we are not footing, we are surfing....gave up wakeboarding a long time ago for surfing...