Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Green light for a new (to me) boat

Slayer

A lift cover is a very nice item to have, particularly when you ski right up to that thunderstorm and can simply slide the boat under the canopy without getting it drenched. Also helps keep the bird debris off the cover, but they will make a home and possible nesting spot somewhere. It also provides a picnic table for the seagulls when they need a spot to dine on that fish they just caught under your lift. Another really nice feature is an electric motor to lift the boat up since you will be doing that after you just skiied your guts out through the course! Both items are easily retrofittable to almost any lift so you can delay the expenses on them, but certainly will be cheaper if you find a used one with them included. BTW, you will easily be able to launch a boat in SE Michigan in April.

In terms of other items you will spend $ on: initial maintenance (oil/filters/plugs/cleaners/wax/teak oil ~$75), ski rope and handle (~$75 for sectioned one), life jackets (~$100 good one for skiing, cheapo's for CG approval), paddle ($10), gas (TBD, how much fun do you want to have, I would calculate 75 hours with a new boat minimum for the season in Michigan).

I usually get my dock and toon in the water in early April. I like being able to take advantage of the rouge 75* April day that sometimes comes along. As for the other items, I have considered them. Not to worried about them honestly. I already have life jackets, etc. It's the new ski that hurts :). Gas is going to be an issue, particularly at $3.50-4.00/Gal. Initial maintenance is an expense certainly worthy of note. As for the lift, manual is good for me for the next year or so until upgrade and I hope to find a lift for the right price with a canopy. I have a line on a lift with a canopy, electric, and solar powered and I'm looking into that option as well.

Thanks again for the helpful advise and info.

Ski behind a mid-90's ProStar 205 before you buy one. I ski behind one occasionally and it has the worst wake (hardest) of any of the boats we ski behind. I hate it. It's really hard to ski a course when you're in the air at the edge transition spot. :Doh::lol:

That's a beautiful Rlx. The seller's a little high on $$. One of my ski buddies just picked up a very clean, low hours, 01 Rlx for $13,800. The deals are out there, you'll find one, be patient.

I have a Sportster LX which has the step-over and it's inconvenient for adults but no big deal for kids. We're on a private lake and don't need to load up for the entire day so no biggie.

Thanks for the info. I agree on the Rlx price. Mt initial thought for me is that it's worth $14 + $2 for lift, but all depends on how bad the seller needs out. For whatever reason, boats seem really expensive here. I recently saw a 1996 Echelon at a dealer on consignment for $14,999 and it needs new skins but is otherwise in decent shape with 500 hrs. I would not mind that boat at all but the price would have to be considerably lower particularly considering the color is horrible. I have the same opinion on the step over bow. Considering I have a pontoon and live on a private lake as well, the access to the bow is becoming less of a concern really. I'm more interested in quality of boat and wake so I can develop some ski skills. I have friends and neighbors who are out nearly every morning around 6:30 for a quick set and I need to get in on the action.

In any case, I'm not in a real hurry here. Like you said....I want the right deal on the right boat and right now I can't even get in the water with one as winter is still here.

I just talked to the seller on the RLX I linked above. Sounds like he's motivated based on a financial situation. The title is not clear but I don't know how much money he owes. He keeps it at a vacation place about 2.5 hours away. He bought it used from a well respected Bu dealer here locally. I'm going to set up a time to see the boat after my vacation next week.

I just talked to the seller on the RLX I linked above. Sounds like he's motivated based on a financial situation. The title is not clear but I don't know how much money he owes. He keeps it at a vacation place about 2.5 hours away. He bought it used from a well respected Bu dealer here locally. I'm going to set up a time to see the boat after my vacation next week.

Just a suggestion: Call the Bu dealer and ask them for the history of the boat prior to this owner. They will at least know the condition it came to them in.

Just a suggestion: Call the Bu dealer and ask them for the history of the boat prior to this owner. They will at least know the condition it came to them in.

Good call. I thought about doing that. I just need to get the last name of the current owner.

If that's not a scam, that is a great deal. To each his own but man ... that boat is fugly. :yuk:

I don't think its a scam. I have been watching that boat since July, when it was listed at $32k, then $26, then it was 23K, then it was 19K, and he just dropped it again. I am pretty sure the owner is malibucrew member who used to be a Svfara dealer and just started a restaurant and needs to sell the boat. It was still out of my price range, but I almost nutted up and bought it just because of the value.

As far as ugly, I go back and forth on it but the boat is growing on me, and a Rob Shirly designed mid-mounted V-Drive that is supposedly one of best handling ski boats ever made that is brand new for $16k is pretty intriguing. After a little research, the only non-subjective negatives I have heard about that boat are a fairly hard bump at 22 and that no one has ever heard of Svfara so the boat is--obviously--hard to resell.

Edited by jjackkrash
I don't think its a scam. I have been watching that boat since July, when it was listed at $32k, then $26, then it was 23K, then it was 19K, and he just dropped it again. I am pretty sure the owner is malibucrew member who used to be a Svfara dealer and just started a restaurant and needs to sell the boat. It was still out of my price range, but I almost nutted up and bought it just because of the value.

As far as ugly, I go back and forth on it but the boat is growing on me, and a Rob Shirly designed mid-mounted V-Drive that is supposedly one of best handling ski boats ever made that is brand new for $16k is pretty intriguing. After a little research, the only non-subjective negatives I have heard about that boat are a fairly hard bump at 22 and that no one has ever heard of Svfara so the boat is--obviously--hard to resell.

You're right about it being a deal. $16K for a 2008 slalom rig w/ only 120 hours? :shocked: There is apparently a lot of value in a recognized "name". :yes: I still think it's too much red gelcoat though. :yes: Don't like the non-removable rear seating either.

You're right about it being a deal. $16K for a 2008 slalom rig w/ only 120 hours? :shocked: There is apparently a lot of value in a recognized "name". :yes: I still think it's too much red gelcoat though. :yes: Don't like the non-removable rear seating either.

I agree with all that. I just couldn't get over all that red and the resale problem. Smile.gif The blue one in BC down the page has fantastic blue gel, but its $43k!

Oh, one other thing, I would be willing to bet that its the cheapest boat on the market right now that you could zero-off with a simple ECM flash. I am pretty sure that's an e-contol PCM under the hood.

Considering the overall knowledge of the Crew, what would you think of a 97 sunsetter lx with 620 hours, titan II tower, board racks, (2) 250# fat sacks and (1) 600# fat sack, depth finder, 350 monsoon, manual wedge and cover for $14,700? According to the seller, there are a few scratches in the gel coat and a few minor tears in the seats, but otherwise in good condition with the stainless prop. I'll attach pics when I get them.

Opinions?

The one in Lansing is the one I'm looking at. Just talked with the seller for a while this afternoon. Oddly enough, I used to do business with the company he works for.

I have been on vacation for a few days however have continued the search. I have found two response lx's for sale in my area that are attractive. One is a 1999 with 308 hrs asking 14k with wedge and the 310hp carburated engine and the other is a 2002 with 400 hours fuel injected asking 18k. I have talked with the local bu dealer and both boats were purchase there new. The 99 is a 1 owner boat and the 02 is a 2 owner boat. I would love the 02 but the 99 is more feasible financially. Considering they are both on the same hull, is there any reason to be concerned about the carburated engine? Obviously the fuel injected one would be much nicer but what do I lose with the carburated boat, if anything?

Edited by inlandlaker

I had the same budget as you 2 years ago when I bought my boat. I shopped for about 6 months and ended up picking up a '99 Sunsetter LX for $13,800. It had the wedge, came with quite a bit of gear, fuel injected, about 600 hrs, and descent interior (which now needs replacing). I feel pretty fortunate but did miss out on some deals because I wasn't ready to jump! There seems a lot of people looking for a 15k boat and not a lot of them to go around. Be patient but have all your ducks in a row so you can jump quickly on that deal when it presents itself.

As someone else mentioned, be sure to save some $ for repairs. There is going to be something that comes up. I had the blige pump go out, a belt break, an exhaust hose spring a leak, and a battery go bad in the first season. All small things but they add up.

Thanks for the advise itsonlywater. Im ready to pull the trigger and am not worried about the inevitable repair issues you and others have brought up. My budget is simply for the boat itself. I have other$ stashed for other related matters. I really want a boat with the diamond hull. The only thing holding me back is a water test and at this time in MI all lakes still have ice cover so Im in a position to make contingent offers based on a water test.

I have been on vacation for a few days however have continued the search. I have found two response lx's for sale in my area that are attractive. One is a 1999 with 308 hrs asking 14k with wedge and the 310hp carburated engine and the other is a 2002 with 400 hours fuel injected asking 18k. I have talked with the local bu dealer and both boats were purchase there new. The 99 is a 1 owner boat and the 02 is a 2 owner boat. I would love the 02 but the 99 is more feasible financially. Considering they are both on the same hull, is there any reason to be concerned about the carburated engine? Obviously the fuel injected one would be much nicer but what do I lose with the carburated boat, if anything?

My Echelon is carb, the old 265hp Merc 350. It runs flawlessly, never stalls, no hiccups, smooth as silk, starts every time, 570 hours on it and no carb work ever done (that I know of). So I'd say that fuel delivery should not be an issue.

HOWEVER, are you at higher elevations? I think it makes a difference if so, but I don't know that for a fact as I have never had that concern.

Michiganboarder....

Thanks for the information. Im at roughly the same elevation as you. It's a mute point now. I was #2 on the carburated response. It sold last night.

Edited by inlandlaker

Michiganboarder....

Thanks for the information. Im at roughly the same elevation as you. It's a mute point now. I was #2 on the carburated response. It sold last night.

That's a bummer.

Well, maybe someone might chime in with another opinion on carb/fi anyway. But in my case, when it was my buddies boat, I remember looking at the doghouse and thinking "Wow that thing runs smooth" at idle and varying throttle positions.

I expect a LOT of boats are going to start coming on the market now and in the next few weeks.