Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Green light for a new (to me) boat

Slayer

I have finally come to an agreement on a boat with the wife. We have a green light to purchase this year. I'm hoping tax returns are good enough for people to want upgrades and create an opportunity for me. Anyway, we have agreed on a price around $15k for an inboard boat buy. We live on a 200+ acre private lake with a course that's up sunday night through friday night. I am into skiing and the wire into skiing and boarding. Considering that we also need to get a hoist, $15k is what we can do because we don't want to finance.

Considering the price point, I assume that I'm into either a sporty, response lx, or echelon lx, likely years 94-2000. I would prefer a boat with the wedge and EFI engine. I also really want a malibu. I've been lurking here for well over a year with minimal posts, but am now interested in the crew's opinions on things. We have visited a local MC dealer as well as Bu dealer just to see what they have. Both of the dealers in my area are very well respected and I would have no problem buying from one of them.

So, here are the questions I have.

1. Am I on the right track with models?
  2. Any advise on MC vs Bu (think I know the answer to this one but interested anyway)
  3. What should I look out for, good, bad, otherwise?
  4. Not thrilled about the step over into the bow on the sporty or rlx, but like the idea of performance on the boats. Is a sporty or rlx better for all around use?
  5. Considering this is a 5-10 year purchase, is there anything else I should be thinking about?

I look forward to your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Congrats! I sold my Four Winns to a guy in Brighton 2 years ago, Simon something. The boat was a blue/white Freedom 170 named "Mistress"

Sounds like you pretty well got it figured out for boat options. You should be able to get a nice boat for that budget. Don't forget the Sunsetter Lx (also a direct drive) either, I think that will suit your needs to and could broaden your search. The only real differences between all of those models (at least to me) is the step over bow and the Sunsetter has a deeper hull/freeboard (I think). Do you have kids? Little kids work well up front and keeps them out of the way when the adults are gearing up, and it's easier for them to get back and forth in a walk thru instead of a step over.

My first and only ski boat is my Echelon LX, and I love it. Got me, wife, 3 kids from age 5 thru 12, fits us great for wakeboarding, barefooting and hopefully some surfing this year. It has the old standard Merc 350 (265hp), and it does the job.

Thanks. I have considered the SLX as well and you're right about the higher free board and walk through configuration. I can pretty much guarantee that my bride and little girl would much rather the walk through. That's what keeps me coming back to the Echelon. Honestly, I would love an SLXI but the budget won't handle it and the SLX is not much of a compromise really for my first inboard.

Used boat condition versus price should be the determining factor.

Sunsetters are great lake boats for families. The freeboard and roominess really change the game. But you are on a private lake and can get away with a Response LX.

Do not be afraid of any of the comparable Mastercraft boats to the Malibu line-up. One model that would work really well for you is a 2002 ? and later Mastercraft Prostar 197. It really just fits between a Response LX (stepover) and Response LXI (walk-through). It has a walk through windshield but you need to swing the seat out of the way to go up front. No big deal. All three of these boats turn on a dime.

Edited by DONTW8

Have you looked at a Sunsetter lxi? Great ski wake and has a wedge.

I really like the SLXI and it would be my first choice, price not withstanding.

"Used boat condition versus price should be the determining factor."

I agree however condition in the price range is a determining factor for me. Condition is paramount to me but I'm fighting a budget battle with the better half. Considering a hoist purchase, and a few other non-boating related things that we need to dedicate cash to, I can' stray much from the $15k mark.

"Sunsetters are great lake boats for families. The freeboard and roominess really change the game. But you are on a private lake and can get away with a Response LX."

I agree with this completely. The step over bow is nearly a deal breaker for my wife though. Still working on that. It doesn't really matter to me. If we need to load the boat up for a party cruise, we'll use the pontoon.

"Do not be afraid of any of the comparable Mastercraft boats to the Malibu line-up. One model that would work really well for you is a 2002 ? and later Mastercraft Prostar 197. It really just fits between a Response LX (stepover) and Response LXI (walk-through). It has a walk through windshield but you need to swing the seat out of the way to go up front. No big deal. All three of these boats turn on a dime."

We are not afraid but I would prefer a bu. We have looked at mid '90s prostar 205 (walk through open bow) and they fit the price range. I did find a nice 197 but it was out of the price range. But again, I prefer a BU.

Thanks for all the suggestions....keep em coming.

Edited by inlandlaker

The Echelon LX is an excellent boat, also has numerous engine options. The walk thru design certainly makes it easier to access the front, but there are a couple of points to consider. The observer seat is narrower but will easily hold two adults, just not large ones. For those cool / cold Michigan ski runs you will want or need a blocker of some sort, either a bow tonneau cover or a divider similar to what is available on the LXi (easy to make either). You will also want at least a heater, shower is nice but not as necessary. The wake on the Echelon is great, world class ski wake and fantastic barefoot wake, very close or identical to the Response or Response LXi. The Echelon was the top of the line offering during it's reign, the Response came in at a lower price point on the same hull so you might see some difference in options when you look but an awesome ski boat. The newer boats will start to offer different engine packages, the Vortec cylinder heads that bumped hp levels over 300 (other than the big block 454 in the President Edition Echelon) were introduced in 1996. The SV23 hull will offer the best barefoot wake (Sporty is a top choice amongst footers) compared to either a CC or MC. IMO, for the Michigan lakes, a lift is mandatory, as the water will leave quite a bit of residue if you don't keep it out of the water when not in use.

If you veer towards the MC lineup, I would stick with either the 190 or 197 as I have found the 205 to have a harder wake for slalom skiing. There are spray issues on the 190 at shortline, the 197 is really nice. The 190 offers a bit better wakeboard wake than a Bu, but close none the less. The CC 196 is also a very good slalom machine including late '90's models.

You are also live in a prime region for dealer support, the "big 3" dealers are all outstanding representatives for each of thier products. My advice, you have the pontoon for cruising, purchase the ultimate performance machine for the hobby and don't compromise on that side particularly since you live on one of the typical Michigan sport lakes.

I vote Echelon LX, remember... your gonna have 5G's into a lift and dock setup :whistle:

EDIT: If you find an Echelon LX with a Titan tower and wedge in nice shape for around 10G's and you don't buy it.... LET ME KNOW!!! :crazy:

Edited by Levi900RR

Woodski...I tend to agree with your statements completely. You're 100% correct on the lift. I'll likely buy one used. I have a neighbor with a MC 205 that he leaves in the water and has to acid wash it annually. I don't like the thought of that nor do I like the idea of some of the potential problems that can be had when one of these boats sits in the water like that. I also agree that there are some very good dealers in the area. I have talked with one and will be starting to talk with another in the coming weeks.

Levi...I already have the dock, it just needs a minor reconfiguration and some different support frames. I don't see much cash in that, maybe a few hundred, so not to worried about that issue. I think a used lift for this type boat can be had locally for $1500-2000 and that is assumed to be in addition to the boat budget. $15k is what I'm looking at for the boat only.

Oberon...I have seen that boat in the listings. I agree on the storage options of the '99 and newer boats being much better.

J-Ro....I would love to see a nice sunsetter around here for that price point. Have not seen one yet and when I do, they don't last long.

In general, I suspect that many more boats will hit the market soon. I'm going to try to keep my eyes open for the ideal situation. As stated before, the functionality of the walk through bow is very nice but with the toon, I could compromise on the step over. I have not skied in years and learned to do so behind a late 70's jet boat, so this is going to be a sweet thing for me. Also, this is a purchase that we're looking to keep for 5-10 years so I need to keep that in mind as well.

Keep the opinions coming.

Do they still snow ski on the trash pile (Mt. Brighton)?

Recreational slolom skier and int. wakeboarder I am vary happy with my sunsetter. found it one year ago for $16K, wedge but no tower and under 400 hours. There are better slolom wakes for sure but it's fine for me. My budget was also $15K. Have cash ready for the right boat.

could keep the 5gs and keep the boat on trailer. i assume with a private lake that your ramp is a minimal distance. 5gs can go along way in older boats. as far as used boats - i would focus one owners that kept their boat out of the water.

Do they still snow ski on the trash pile (Mt. Brighton)?

Recreational slolom skier and int. wakeboarder I am vary happy with my sunsetter. found it one year ago for $16K, wedge but no tower and under 400 hours. There are better slolom wakes for sure but it's fine for me. My budget was also $15K. Have cash ready for the right boat.

Lol...yes they do.....and a trash heap it is!

Nice looking boat. I 100% agree with Woodski. MC 205 has a tough wake if you are an aspiring / intermediate skier. If walk through slalom boat is a requirement then a 197, Response LXI Sunsetter LXI and Echelon are what I would be looking at. If you are looking for a clean low hour boat at 15K your most likely stuck with the Echelon (my favorite of course). The others won't be in that range unless you open it up to higher hours and abuse.

If a step over is ok then you should be able to find a nice Response LX for 15.

Nice looking boat. I 100% agree with Woodski. MC 205 has a tough wake if you are an aspiring / intermediate skier. If walk through slalom boat is a requirement then a 197, Response LXI Sunsetter LXI and Echelon are what I would be looking at. If you are looking for a clean low hour boat at 15K your most likely stuck with the Echelon (my favorite of course). The others won't be in that range unless you open it up to higher hours and abuse.

If a step over is ok then you should be able to find a nice Response LX for 15.

I would have no problem with an Echelon.

Any opinions on this? I have been in contact with the seller and hope to see the boat within the next 2 weeks. I don't know what the flexibility is on price, but may sell as a package with the lift.

Very nice looking boat. Good generic color combo to help resale, newer model year and it sounds like lower hours. Kept out of water and in garage for winter storage. Appears to have been well maintained. Bilge area cleanliness and running gear condition are good things to check carefully when checking boat condition.

Any opinions on this? I have been in contact with the seller and hope to see the boat within the next 2 weeks. I don't know what the flexibility is on price, but may sell as a package with the lift.

Ha! You've been at this for how many days and already blown your budget by 20%! But it all honesty, that is a nice looking boat, ditto Woodski. I just can't get past the step over.

As far as cash, make sure you have at least $500 to $1000 set aside for after you get the boat. That is, improvements to the boat, repairs, lift modifications, any new gear you may need, it all adds up fast.

Also, get a lift with a canopy if you can, and don't put a tower on the boat. Mine came with the tower and it is a PITA to put up and down when storing on the lift. I had to make a modification on my canopy too. Go with a Fly High pole or something comparable. If you get a deal on that boat and lift, I'd check on the availability of adding a canopy.

post-8942-025368700 1299073083_thumb.jpg

It's super easy to blow a budget on one of these! I would like to think that the seller has some room to move on the pricing and maybe a package deal benefits us both. I guess it all depends on how badly the seller needs to get rid of the boat and weather or not there is a lien. I don't foresee adding a tower to the boat. And I agree with your comments. I've actually been looking at boats like this for the last 3 years. It's only now that I have the "official" approval to spend, so the search has grown far more serious. I want one in front of the house in May if possible.

We have looked at mid '90s prostar 205 (walk through open bow) and they fit the price range.

Ski behind a mid-90's ProStar 205 before you buy one. I ski behind one occasionally and it has the worst wake (hardest) of any of the boats we ski behind. I hate it. It's really hard to ski a course when you're in the air at the edge transition spot. :Doh::lol:

That's a beautiful Rlx. The seller's a little high on $$. One of my ski buddies just picked up a very clean, low hours, 01 Rlx for $13,800. The deals are out there, you'll find one, be patient.

I have a Sportster LX which has the step-over and it's inconvenient for adults but no big deal for kids. We're on a private lake and don't need to load up for the entire day so no biggie.

A lift cover is a very nice item to have, particularly when you ski right up to that thunderstorm and can simply slide the boat under the canopy without getting it drenched. Also helps keep the bird debris off the cover, but they will make a home and possible nesting spot somewhere. It also provides a picnic table for the seagulls when they need a spot to dine on that fish they just caught under your lift. Another really nice feature is an electric motor to lift the boat up since you will be doing that after you just skiied your guts out through the course! Both items are easily retrofittable to almost any lift so you can delay the expenses on them, but certainly will be cheaper if you find a used one with them included. BTW, you will easily be able to launch a boat in SE Michigan in April.

In terms of other items you will spend $ on: initial maintenance (oil/filters/plugs/cleaners/wax/teak oil ~$75), ski rope and handle (~$75 for sectioned one), life jackets (~$100 good one for skiing, cheapo's for CG approval), paddle ($10), gas (TBD, how much fun do you want to have, I would calculate 75 hours with a new boat minimum for the season in Michigan).